Cabs-Quickie

brendansbiz

choo choo twain!
Is it possible to put a lets say dash 9 cab into another Freight loco of yours that doesn't have a custom cab?

Nope!

I mean, you could, but it would not look a darn thing like the cab in the JR loco. They have custom shells made for their cabs per locomotive that you wouldn't be transferable. If I'm right, the actual cab is pretty much just the levers and animated parts?

Cheers,
Joshua

Nope!

I mean, you could, but it would not look a darn thing like the cab in the JR loco. They have custom shells made for their cabs per locomotive that you wouldn't be transferable. If I'm right, the actual cab is pretty much just the levers and animated parts?

Cheers,
Joshua

I've experimented with this some, it depends on which cab, some are full cabs and some need a shell.

Yeah, I can say that I believe most of the desktop cabs (EMD SD70M/AC & GE C44-9W/AC6000CW/etc) are usually shell requiring while the EMD standard cab I believe is self-sustained. I would look at Joe's GP35s, I believe those have the self-sustained EMD cab if you wanted. It'd be a decent stand-in over the UTC SD40-2 cab for the Geeps that don't have nice fancy things.

Cheers,
Joshua

Yeah, I can say that I believe most of the desktop cabs (EMD SD70M/AC & GE C44-9W/AC6000CW/etc) are usually shell requiring while the EMD standard cab I believe is self-sustained. I would look at Joe's GP35s, I believe those have the self-sustained EMD cab if you wanted. It'd be a decent stand-in over the UTC SD40-2 cab for the Geeps that don't have nice fancy things.

Cheers,
Joshua

The difference is the EMD std cabs have a default shell to fall back to if one is not provided. The others do not have this, and that was done with purpose.

Now, for the question. Can you apply the cab in other locomotives? Well, the answer is yes, but I would consider it to require an advanced skill level working with config files.

Last edited:
Yes it can.

Justin - "an advanced skill level". You underestimate those of us who are fully certified fiddlers, manipulators and tinkerers! We are all at the "advanced" level.

I have no doubt that someone who knows their way around config files can recognize and re-create the links to cause the cab shells to work, I just say that so I don't get the inevitable question "Well how do you do it?" because I am not prepared to support that.

Justin --

Understood.

If I haven't said it before I will now - the JR custom cabs are absolutely brilliant. Superb works of art and functionality. You guys should be justifiably proud of them.

This one is by far my favourite (best viewed full screen and in HD):

Back