Terminus To Terminus Thoughts

Vern

Trainz Maverick
Currently working on a plan found in one of the old 1960's Railway Modellers, effectively a terminus to terminus with a continuous run and a branch line.

The problem as always with adapting this type of plan into Trainz (apart from the fact what's on paper doesn't always fit without a bit of expansion) is that the terminus stations are designed without loco release crossovers requiring a pilot loco to drag the stock out then back in to release the train engine. Even if there is a loco run round these never seem to work properly in Trainz.

Two possible solutions, one being to extend the line beyond the terminus into a return loop so trains can simply come back in facing the correct way, or extend into a small fiddle yard with a run round set up with enough space so that Trainz works correctly. However either method destroys the purity of the "classic" UK terminus with a large concourse.

Open to suggestions.

Something like Liverpool Street where platforms 1&2 went through via a tunnel to the Metropolitan lines could work well as a way to hide a return loop out of sight. I've thought about doing something like this myself as a variation on 'Minories'.

Hello Vern.

I thought I would give my theory on how to help. When you say that runarounds don’t work properly in Trainz, do you mean that the auto driver pulls into the station, but then won’t run his loco around to head outbound? If that were me I’d just take over and do it before starting the auto driver again. I also think that you could set up a complex track mark layout on the runaround where you feed commands to the driver i.e. you have him pull into the station, uncouple and move to track marks until he is back at the tail of the train. When you create sessions you can place track marks and then in Driver you can setup commands to execute with specific criteria.
Here is a rough example:
Drive To-Trackmark 1
And Uncouple
Drive To-Trackmark 2 (out of siding)
Drive To-Trackmark 3 (back to entrance of siding)
Drive To-Consist 1 (couple)

You chain the commands together to create smooth execution.

I will check the command setup soon and get back with what I got.
Hope This helps! 😁
Tony V.

I ran some tests and found a more economical way to try a runaround.
If there is no loop existing in your tracks you can place a track mark at the forward end of the siding.
Then give the commands:
Navigate To-Trackmark 1 (Navigate To avoids other trains)
Run Around Train

That worked for me, but I also tried while on a closed circuit and the train would attempt to go all the way around!

Last edited:
The main problem with run rounds is that traditionally at UK terminus the section between the points and buffers is very short, barely more than the loco length. Trainz will not run the engine forward into such a short space. However as I noted in the OP, large terminus stations did not have a run round but used pilot engines to release the stock and train engine.

Obviously if you are handling the moves yourself it all goes away but I generally like to set up the model layouts to run automatically so the user can just sit back and enjoy the trains.

So I know you can change the radius of points using the same radius tool as for track marks... Does the same work for Buffer stops?? This means you could then use a much smaller loco release points instead. Although you'd probably also need a Invisible section past the end of the track as well which AI may still drive on...

I use both ways to turn an engine around. Use an Invisible track beyond the buffer with an invisible signal. This makes the buffer become a caution signal. Reduce the radius of the junction lever. Trial and error to fit the engine in the space.
Set up an engine to couple to the end of the train, pull out of the station, and put it back in again. When the train arrives you uncouple and send a message to the shunt engine. It removes the coaches to let the engine out. When the shunt engine has finished it sends another message and the original engine recouples for its return journey.

As a schoolboy I spent many of my weekends and school holidays getting covered in soot at the various London terminals watching trains. At the time we lived in Lower Edmonton (Edmonton Green Station) on the Liverpool St to Enfield Town line. In the 50/60s locos on this line were mainly 0-6-0 'coffeepots' with perhaps 4 passenger carriages and at both terminals the loco did indeed run round the train for the return trip however, when they required refuelling generally the loco was replaced.

This was also the norm for the larger loco on the longer routes. They would terminate at the likes of Liverpool St, Charing Cross, Waterloo and so forth, the carriages would be uncoupled and a replacement loco couple to the other end of the train. Once the train had departed the original loco would reverse out of the terminal to return some time later having been turned round and refuelled as the replacement loco for another service.

Good luck with your project. Peter

The main problem with run rounds is that traditionally at UK terminus the section between the points and buffers is very short, barely more than the loco length. Trainz will not run the engine forward into such a short space. However as I noted in the OP, large terminus stations did not have a run round but used pilot engines to release the stock and train engine.

Obviously if you are handling the moves yourself it all goes away but I generally like to set up the model layouts to run automatically so the user can just sit back and enjoy the trains.
Interesting. I am from the US and don‘t know much about UK railroads’ practices but this is a learning experience for me! 😃

Back