Building A Historical Route

Vern

Trainz Maverick
Inspired by the release of the Caledonian and North British locomotive and stock assets, thought I might take a look at putting together a short route on which to run them. Nothing too specific at this stage, just "somewhere in the Southern Uplands" until the project is established. However I do have concerns that it may not be entirely possible to provide an authentic pre-grouping atmosphere, with the following already coming to mind:

Interactive stations will spawn passengers in modern, late 20th century clothing, unless there is a resource somewhere to adjust this. Building a route without passenger loading and unloading would be a step backwards.

Roads - by default these will spawn modern road vehicles and I don't think there were many SUV's or Transit vans in 1912 Lanarkshire! So looking at using NT road sections and static vehicles.

Electric street lighting was still in its infancy and outside the towns, there probably wasn't much artificial light at all.

In fact we face many of the challenges producers of historical TV shows and movies face - one wristwatch, TV aerial or jet contrail in the scene and the effect is spoiled.

Any thoughts or suggestions (other than setting it as a preserved line in current day)?

Clone the station and replace the passenger kuid with a different one. There are two sets of 1890 passengers sets on the DLS.
Roads likewise, clone a region and replace the vehicle kuids with ones that fit your era. You set the region on the new or edit route page , not in the roads themselves.
There are a few gas lamps on the DLS that will give you your street lighting.

Sounds like a plan, though I will need to get permission of the original author to upload the cloned version if the route was to reach fruition. The DMT stations look like a good choice to do this.

I would just turn off the traffic in the route all together (there's a button with a picture of a car somewhere that does this). Then all roads become no traffic and you can place a few horse and carts etc in suitable locations.

As for passengers I don't think the default 60s style passengers (men mostly in jackets and ties, women in skirts plus the odd uniformed character) are that bad although there are alternatives around.

I would just turn off the traffic in the route all together (there's a button with a picture of a car somewhere that does this). Then all roads become no traffic and you can place a few horse and carts etc in suitable locations.

As for passengers I don't think the default 60s style passengers (men mostly in jackets and ties, women in skirts plus the odd uniformed character) are that bad although there are alternatives around.

I think you could be right, though I will message Scottish about cloning and uploading a couple of his stations.

Back