British Info required

aradlaw

TRS04-06-TC-09
Being a canuck and not really into British Railways (I know..my bad) can anyone suggest a late 1940's -early 1950's British route and locos for a project we are working on at home.
Thanks. :)

Have a look at Trackplates "Restormel Castle" it is for steam lovers & suits any of the GWR loco`s & stock. KUID2: 129486:1801914:2

Or try "Lambourn Valley Railway V03" KUID2: 129486:1801507:1

"Turks Castle" is good, it can either be a Heritage Line, or you can "date" it back as far as you like. Heck, there's even a Broad Gauge (pre 1892) version now.:D

Early BR layout

Being a canuck and not really into British Railways (I know..my bad) can anyone suggest a late 1940's -early 1950's British route and locos for a project we are working on at home.
Thanks. :)

Hi Canuck! Being an ex Brit transplanted into Oakville (ON), I can recommend Valleyfields as long as you only want to ride/watch trains. The emphasis on Valleyfields is trackside landscaping rather than challenging schedules and/or AI operations. This means that you should get a good flavour of BR rail if that is your goal.

Regards. Colin.

Driver Col, please what is the difference between your layouts Valleyfields and Rhubarb Jct, they look identical routes to me ???:confused:

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Valleyfields vs Rhubarb Jct!

Rhubarb Jct was my first attempt at a layout and although I was happy with the end result (enough to load to DLS), there were many esthetics which could clearly be improved. Soon after uploading, a PC disaster lost my original so I downloaded from DLS and worked from there.... hence the different kuid.

Basically although there are many minor changes, the biggest job was to totally re-landscape trackside. This was because although I have no real problem with DLS trees randomly 'planted', they were (to my eyes) far more useful when strategically positioned and then lowered to form hedges, shrubbed areas etc. etc. Also, Rhubarb Juct was intended to give an LMS flavour. With the D15, P4 etc. locos now on DLS, and my childhood years being on an LNER main line, I decide to change the flavour to LNER.

I am now in the final stages of creating Valleyfields BRER 1950's which basically takes it 10 years forward. This means track realignments, expanding towns, electification etc. etc. Then I will not only have an excuse to ride LNER stock, but also early BR steam with 'blood 'n' custard' coaches etc. The next project is a further 10 years which will then accommodate late BR steam and early diesel. The layout will by then have a very distinct industrialized area vs country. A section of the branch line is probably going to bought by a local preservation group so that some really interesting locos can once again be in steam while diesels dominate the mainline.

Does that answer your question?????

:)
Colin.

A very emphatic answer young man, thank you so much...
I downloaded Rhubarb Jct as soon as you had completed it and still play on it today, although I must confess that I have used GWR, SR, LNER as well as LMS stock and loco's on it, and of course the "odd diesel"...:hehe: I am very enthusiastic about an electrified route, that sounds excellent as I find that apart from maybe only 3 or 4 others I've downloaded successfully off the DLS, we are in very short supply of this type of BR layout.

Thankz again Col.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

A very emphatic answer young man, thank you so much...
I downloaded Rhubarb Jct as soon as you had completed it and still play on it today, although I must confess that I have used GWR, SR, LNER as well as LMS stock and loco's on it, and of course the "odd diesel"...:hehe: I am very enthusiastic about an electrified route, that sounds excellent as I find that apart from maybe only 3 or 4 others I've downloaded successfully off the DLS, we are in very short supply of this type of BR layout.

Thankz again Col.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

So glad you are enjoying it. I am really excited with the Valleyfields developments (i.e. the 1950's version in progress). The trouble is I spend more time playing with it than I do developing it, which is why these things take so long for me! I think you too will love Valleyfields BRER 1950's!

Regards. Colin.

Sounds great Col, what with that and the new Trainz Classic 3, set in 1950's era of British Rail, it's becoming mouth-watering for the future....

Cheerz. Ex

HI Col, Valley fields has some great country scenery,and I have just enjoyed a run round. However, as an ex locoman with 47 years experience I would just like to point out that you cannot run a railway with semaphore signals if you don`t have Signalboxes. As signals were operated by wires, and the maximum distance was one milethat they could becontrolled, it was necessary to have signal boxes when there were signals needed. By the way, I like the way you have placed derelict signalboxes where the line as been modified to colour lights,which makes it look more authentic.

Cheers
#Harry Failem

Hi Harry: Glad you are enjoying the scenery and yes, I did take quite a few "liberties" with the details. There were pretty much only two reasons for this. One being trying to creative a feasible trackside without cooking anybody's pc. The second one is simply my memories of trains during my age range of 6yrs old to 17 yrs old. So in a nutshell, I really have taken a "poetic license" with Valleyfields.

Having said all that, you should also be aware that Valleyfields took so long to get to DLS simply because I spent so much time playing with it during its design! My logic is that if I can "lose myself" on the trains in this layout........... then so can other folk.
:)
Valleyfields UK BRER 1960's is now underway and most of the semaphore signalling will have gone, as will the severe speed restiction through Edge Station!
:D
Regards. Colin.

Back