Boxcar context menu disappeares after entering ToolsMenu/EditTrain...

CitMusJoe

Trainz User
I'm using TRS19 build 105096, standard, international edition.

I noticed that for all my different boxcars which are equipped with door opening/closing or/and EOT the popup menu in 'Driver' accessable via [CTRL]+RMC for the selected vehicle gets lost if you put some cargo items in/out via 'Tools Menu/Edit Trains...' or you. Never reappears in this session.

If you reload the session past closing you can access the appropriate popup menu as long as you have not tried to change something via 'Tools Menu/Edit Train...'.

Very strange behaviour, isn't it? BTW, I've no faulties, missing dependencies, open for editing and the like in CM. In TANE all works fine.

Any ideas or confirmation for this behaviour?

I'm not seeing what you are describing in 105175 which is the Steam version of SP1. I can continue to get access to the popup menu as long as the Edit Train mode has been closed properly and I am back in Driver mode. Are you leaving the Trains menu open?

William

No, William, I didn't leave the Trains Menu open.

As I have noticed one can check itself by trying to hover the mouse-cursor slowly along the single boxcar or consist. If the tooltip with the text 'Hold Ctrl + right click' pops up then you have left the 'Tools Menu/Edit Trains...' for sure as I guess.

I'm very sad about this fact, since the purpose of animated doors is to view/initiate/handle the animation sequence, so the windows should be as small as possible to _not_ cover some portions/viewing areas in the scene. When someone uses 'Trains Edit ...' you _can_ access much more than opening doors or switching EOTs and the like, e.g. loading/unloading different freight items etc. But: The size of the window reserves a huge portion of your screen and you have to fiddle around to place the window to a suitable location on screen.

Last edited:
Additionally I have to mention one important thing: after accessing Tools Menu/Edit trains... following happens when I select a boxcar (with animated doors or/andEOT) of course: Performing hold [CTRL] + clicking right mouse button I can still see a popup menu but not access the menu item 'View Details...'. This ends in no action and so does not show an expected dialogue box or window; nothing appears.

For being able to reproduce that behaviour I can supply the exact data of the boxcar:

NAME: BAPC P-S 50_6ft Boxcar
Author: 22alpha
Asset ID: <kuid2:175455:100666:1>
Trainz Version: 3.6
Size on Disk: 13.3MB
Modification Date: -
Installation Date: 26-FEB-2020 23:16:49
DLS Upload Date: 27-JUN-2019

Another example is:

NAME: CSXT50ft Boxcar FMC
Author: conrail45
Asset ID: <kuid2:348207:100139:1>
Trainz Version: 3.7
Size on Disk: 12.9MB
Modification Date: -
Installation Date: 16-NOV-2018 23:06:29
DLS Upload Date: -

I've already performed a DBR too, but didn't lead into success.

With all other rolling stock or boxcars without animated doors there shows up a small window where you can either read some useful infos or even control some items of the object/boxcar e.g.: open/close doors or switching EOT on/off.

Hope I could explain it in an understandable way.

Last edited:
As a next step I will look into TRS19 build 100240 (I also have installed) to see, if the problem occurs also in this version.
But initially I have to get this database clear of garbage...

As a test I tried the same thing in TRS19 Platinum, it works as expected there. Since TRS19 Platinum has the UDS interface, I am switching back and forth from Driver to Surveyor and not using the Edit Train mode as it was removed. That leaves me to believe that the bug is related to the mechanism used to switch the interface in SP1 from the legacy mode of Edit Trains in Driver for non-subscribers to the UDS if you are a subscriber. I was afraid that would be flaky. I would think it would work fine in the early version of TRS19.

Interestingly, using the Properties tool in Surveyor mode of the UDS does not open the doors until you return to Driver mode and then the doors slide open by themselves.

William

Back