Blender exporter

Actually, I'd say that Blender is harder to learn than GMAX, but easier to use and faster to work with.

Cheerio,
John

Yes but it seems to work and so far I haven't had to delete something and remake it because GMAX has done something odd.

Cheerio John

Although not sure if I will get next version of trainz as once again disposed of the previous version due to cmp, as impossible to commit content with it locking up.

However gave the blender trainz exporter a try and removed the first error as had not added the personal id to the identifer in the script.

Bit lost on texturing then as it then brings up faulty texture error. Tried double and single sided. This is for phototographic textures, etc not material colours. Using tga or bmp?

Barry

Last edited:
Hi Barry,

I don't recognize what might your problem with the identifier, but at least I can answer your texture-question.

If you use a material with assigned textures, then the exporter check if this texture is an image, because Trainz is not able to show any other in Blender possible texture type. If you open Blender and start with the default scene, the cube uses a material with an asigned "None" texture, thats why the exporte will break up. Either you remove this texture, or you change the type to "Image" and load the Image you want. For the exporter it doesn't matter what kind of image, you can use any file format you want.

Hi Barry,

I don't recognize what might your problem with the identifier, but at least I can answer your texture-question.

If you use a material with assigned textures, then the exporter check if this texture is an image, because Trainz is not able to show any other in Blender possible texture type. If you open Blender and start with the default scene, the cube uses a material with an asigned "None" texture, thats why the exporte will break up. Either you remove this texture, or you change the type to "Image" and load the Image you want. For the exporter it doesn't matter what kind of image, you can use any file format you want.

Thanks for the details and screenshot.
Will have another experiment and see what happens.
The identifier just needed my id in the script as I had left the space blank. I had misread the script details.

Barry

Last edited:
Although not sure if I will get next version of trainz as once again disposed of the previous version due to cmp, as impossible to commit content with it locking up.

However gave the blender trainz exporter a try and removed the first error as had not added the personal id to the identifer in the script.

Bit lost on texturing then as it then brings up faulty texture error. Tried double and single sided. This is for phototographic textures, etc not material colours. Using tga or bmp?

Barry

My "basic" Blender tutorials
http://www.barandshe.clara.net/blendertuts.html

I've put a couple of comments in the wikibook about this. I'm using an external .tga file and at first I could see the image on the mesh in Blender but the exporter couldn't export it. Once I'd done the F6 thing then it all came together.

Cheerio John

Hello John just retried it and managed to export an im file.
With texture on one side of cube this time without an error notice.

Trouble is all new to me as havn't used the texture icon (speckled black dots symbol or F6) before in buttons window as worked well without it for.
vrml2 etc and only used UV window etc.

I then put texture on using U over window smart projection.
Will it work without U over window and just used UV window? or U over window and other types "project from view" etc.

Brain getting puffed so cup of tea needed;)

Barry

Hello John just retried it and managed to export an im file.
With texture on one side of cube this time without an error notice.

Trouble is all new to me as havn't used the texture icon (speckled black dots symbol or F6) before in buttons window as worked well without it for.
vrml2 etc and only used UV window etc.

I then put texture on using U over window smart projection.
Will it work without U over window and just used UV window? or U over window and other types "project from view" etc.

Brain getting puffed so cup of tea needed;)

Barry

We probably need some one with more experience one problem is jargon, I've no idea what U over window is.

Sue's just called from on high, I have a cup of coffee waiting.

Cheerio John

The exporter take care about two things:

a) if the material is textured, that an image is used(the F6-thing :))
b) if the texture is a diffuse, alpha or normal map, that UV data exists

It doesn't matter if you have unwrapped the mesh, but if you unwrap the mesh Blender creates UV data if needed :).

Regards
Torsten

Last edited:
Torsten thank again for all the details.

John hold mouse pointer over mesh window in edit mode then press U on keyboard which gives you a list of options.
Take your pick of them.
Enables a smooth texture using them.
Right click on faces first to select them holding down shift (triangle symbol) then try "select from view" gives you same shape over the texture.
Ideal for ships decks, etc as makes the exact shape as the selected faces on the mesh.

Scale texture vertices (dots) same as mesh vertices.
A for all then S for Scale.
To scale in just one direction would be S followed by X or Y with mouse pointer over texture window.

Coffee just arrived. Filter coffee this time..nice

Barry

Last edited:
i'm fallowing this thread with intrest because i've been using blender for somewhere arround two years now. haven't really applied myself to trying to master the uv thing. in what i've been doing i haven't really needed to.

so i'm very interested in turning some of my .blends into kuid's in .cdp.

almost all of my textures are f6 images so that's not a thing.

haven't yet gotten the (blend to trainz) script into where current blender install can find it. so i haven't been able to try it yet (its in the right place for one of the previous versions i accidentally installed it to instead of the current one. just been doing other things and forgetting to get arround to beating my head against getting it in the right place to make it work)

before discouvering blender i'd been using autocad r14.0 for about ten years. still haven't been able to export anything from my collection of .dwgs i've created over that time period to anything else, so when i started using blender i had to recreate that geometry all over again.

i'm not a rocket scientist with all this stuff, or a computer guru or anything, just someone who'se main gratifications in life are creating and exploring.

(my most recent renders are on biorust, with quite a bit of my earlier stuff on vcl, on biorust i'm themnax, like most places i frequent on the net. on vcl i'm my mundane name of john teall)

my main intrest/fantasy, is MODERN, very narrow gauge, in a somewhat ecotopian setting.

=^^=
.../\...

Last edited:
haven't yet gotten the (blend to trainz) script into where current blender install can find it.

=^^=
.../\...

Hello themnax

You can download the Blender Exporter for Trainz 0.62 from the following link:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/blenderextrainz/

and exporter file should go in the following directory:
C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts\trainz_export.py

Regards

Ahsan:)

Last edited:
i'm fallowing this thread with intrest because i've been using blender for somewhere arround two years now. haven't really applied myself to trying to master the uv thing. in what i've been doing i haven't really needed to.

so i'm very interested in turning some of my .blends into kuid's in .cdp.

almost all of my textures are f6 images so that's not a thing.

haven't yet gotten the (blend to trainz) script into where current blender install can find it. so i haven't been able to try it yet (its in the right place for one of the previous versions i accidentally installed it to instead of the current one. just been doing other things and forgetting to get arround to beating my head against getting it in the right place to make it work)

before discouvering blender i'd been using autocad r14.0 for about ten years. still haven't been able to export anything from my collection of .dwgs i've created over that time period to anything else, so when i started using blender i had to recreate that geometry all over again.

i'm not a rocket scientist with all this stuff, or a computer guru or anything, just someone who'se main gratifications in life are creating and exploring.

(my most recent renders are on biorust, with quite a bit of my earlier stuff on vcl, on biorust i'm themnax, like most places i frequent on the net. on vcl i'm my mundane name of john teall)

my main intrest/fantasy, is MODERN, very narrow gauge, in a somewhat ecotopian setting.

=^^=
.../\...

You also need to be able to create the config.txt file and all the red tape attachment points. Other than that they should just flow in.

On the config.txt file I find it's best to clone someone else's but clone an error free one.

Want to drop one or two across then I'll see what I can do to bring them into Trainz? jwhelan0112 gmail.com

Cheerio John

John not sure if you noticed my post in reply to your question about U over Window. Mesh window in edit mode, mouse pointer over it and press U on keyboard gives a list of options. Refer to my post for the other details. Thanks Barry

John not sure if you noticed my post in reply to your question about U over Window. Mesh window in edit mode, mouse pointer over it and press U on keyboard gives a list of options. Refer to my post for the other details. Thanks Barry

I'm a bit lost on the relevance. At the moment my hang up is trying to assign a second .tga file to an object. I've opened the file so the project now knows about it. In the camera view the texture is applied correctly but when I export it the exporter expects something to be assigned to the second object.

Cheerio John

John regarding mouse over mesh window, then press U in edit mode allows you to put smooth textures on if you just use the UV window textures arn't smooth. The smooth function as far I know only applies to material colours not textures. But that is just the way I use Blender. Regarding the 2 textures just gave it a quick try and exported to im file OK with no errors. I am unable to test it in trainz as disposed of trainz classics as useless with cmp although driver OK. May give classics 3 a try as have updated the nvidia drivers. Even if cmp doesn't work driver is OK and sounds an interesting route. re the im file. Put the first texture on one face of cube using the triangle symbol (face select) to select the face and name the texture in the box. Now F6 or spotted symbol in the buttons window (2 bars). click the next blank space below in the in texture column and load the next seperate texture. again change none to material and give it a name. If you change over to the UV window each time the textures are there to use and alternate between them with the up and down arrow. Also I clicked texface tab which needs object mode and the black/red globe symbols. Change back to the buttons window (2 bars symbol) to get to texface tab. Without clicking the texface tab texures don't export to a file type at least with vrml2. No idea about im file as can't check it in trainz as explained. This really needs a tutorial with images but that not for me unless I eventually get cmp to work sometime.

Barry

P.S paragraphs have joined into one for some reason so may be difficult to read so tried again.

P.P.S Using Firefox and had disabled java script so will try Internet explorer and see what happens, but...staying with firefox for browser.

Last edited:
just wanted to say thanx to ahsan, johnwhelan, and in another thread nesbit, for your encouraging replies. i have the download from source forge just fine, and i've unzipped it to a couple of my .blender/.blender subdirectories.

it's just that in my blender directory (i still think of them as directories and subdirectories, file folder icon or no file folder icon) i have more then one version of blender installed. i haven't yet gotten 2.46 because i hadn't been fallowing or keeping up close enough to know that it was out yet. been currently using 2.45 though. when i install each new version i don't, or haven't, gotten rid of pervious ones. so i've got 2.44 and 2.3x something still in there too. (i keep the one i link from the desktop icon the most current one i have, i just keep the old ones to make sure i don't trash something i've created or use completely by accedent when dumping them. since i've still got 3/4 of my hd free space i'm not yet concerned with the space this might otherwise be waisting)

like i mentioned, its just a matter of getting it into the scripts directory my currently in use version of blender is pointing to. and yes, i have started looking at the config.txt's of some of the assets. been trying to put a motor that will actually make it go into that srrl railbus #5 for example, by cutting an pasting equivelant parts that work from other motive power/self propelled vehicules that work just fine. so far no joy with that. (i've been pushing it with mary anne, which oddly seems to go like a bat)

but anyway i'm sort of figguring out what's going on with those too.

so like you say, i'll start using one/s that work, that surveyer and driver don't give any pain when loading layouts that include them.

anyway again i just wanted to say thanx.

and i'll try to attatch one of my .blends to an email if yahoo's webmail will let me. otherwise, i may have someplace i can upload it to for someone to grab off the net. (i really like to try and keep everything i do public domain)

=^^=
.../\...

Back