Baseboards

I found the advert about being able to get 5m. But do not have a setting for it. Or I ain't looking in the right place.

In surveyor, I looked under the settings , and found nothing. On the grid tab, it will only let me toggle from wire to solid frame.

Any clue as to where the setting is, or is it a code: IE. ctrl/mmmg as such?

Thanks Malc,

Merrill

Can never understand why this isn't made more obvious.

Right click on the add board button then click on a board and it gives you a dialogue with a dropdown that you can pick 10m or 5m grids, you have to do it a board at a time unless you initially started with a blank board and set it to 5m, then adding should make them all 5m grids.

You can change back but not recommended if you have textured, as it un-blends them and you end up with blocks of texture which you have to redo.

If I got this right, I save the DEM as "ASCII XYZ", place this file in hog as I would a .tga image and open it using the "Tools/Convert/ASCII XYZ to" (the only thing I have is "24Bit Height map").
Then when I add the optional "Mini Map and Texturing Guide" would I still do this as if I had used an image file? Or does the XYZ include the data for the mini map and textures?
Yes, that's the procedure. Do not convert to UTM before exporting as .xyz. And you are right, it's 24 bit = 3*8 bit colour depth. The image file for the mini map and textures is still extra.

Can never understand why this isn't made more obvious.

Right click on the add board button then click on a board and it gives you a dialogue with a dropdown that you can pick 10m or 5m grids, you have to do it a board at a time unless you initially started with a blank board and set it to 5m, then adding should make them all 5m grids.

You can change back but not recommended if you have textured, as it un-blends them and you end up with blocks of texture which you have to redo.

Works greate.

I tink one of the problems people may have also, is that when you first do this, you would think the actual grid would change and you would get 5m between lines. When this does not work, it would lead you to believe that the 5m don't work. Then I realized that the grid don't change, only the emount of area that the elevation tools effect.

But we got it.

Thanks,

Merrill

Correct, the default grid texture remains unchanged. It always shows the grey 5m lines (since TS2009).

BTW, you cannot create 5m baseboards with HOG, you probably knew that already. If you convert to 5m for a HOG-generated baseboard in Surveyor have a closer look at the baseboard edges. People have spotted occasional fault lines there.

Yes, that's the procedure. Do not convert to UTM before exporting as .xyz. And you are right, it's 24 bit = 3*8 bit colour depth. The image file for the mini map and textures is still extra.

We got it, Took a while to figure all this out, But I found the missing link.

Thanks,

Merrill

Last edited:
Correct, the default grid texture remains unchanged. It always shows the grey 5m lines (since TS2009).

BTW, you cannot create 5m baseboards with HOG, you probably knew that already. If you convert to 5m for a HOG-generated baseboard in Surveyor have a closer look at the baseboard edges. People have spotted occasional fault lines there.

Did not know this as of yet. But I will attempt to load it in both 5m and 10m to see what happens. I will make sure to check for the fault lines you mentioned.

If they do appear, as they do even creating a board using 10m grid, sence I was told this is a bug thing in ts2009, do you think I would be able to correct it using the technique of creating a new blank layout and merging my layout to it to get rid of the fault lines as I do with the 10m grid?

Thanks for your help,:)

Merrill

Last edited:
I found the missing DEM files I needed for the gorge. Found them in Mapmart.

Now maybe I can get started.

I did notice when I tried to load the entire layout all at once the tiger map would align itself about 200M south of where it should be. So I tried with only a couple DEMs merged together and they worked out fine.

I guess the only way to do this would be to create maybe 6 layouts and then merge them in Trainz.

I sure did learn a few things through this little journey.

I would like to thank all you guys for all your help. I never would have been able to get this figured out on my own.

I will be getting TransDEM soon, since this has been a nightmare. I understand that it is a lot more user friendly.

Well, Thanks again,

Merrill

Back