Australian DEMs

Hi gremlin1812, was just wondering if you yourself have used DEM data from this site? The reason i ask is because Microdem freezes when i load data from that site.

For any assistance rendered i am, as always, eternally grateful.

Mattm

G'Day Mattm, yes but for MSTS, I have only just started to venture into Trainz. There are methods to convert to a grey scale image but I cannot remember what the method was or where I found it. I will look around my tutorial store and see if there is anything suitable.
Regards
Barrie

Gremlin1812, thanks for the reply. You do your digging, and i 'll see if i can't work it out for myself. If you find a tutorial, i 'll be much obliged if i could take a copy from your good self. Unless, of course i work out how to do it myself (i doubt it, though:D).

Mattm.

G'Day Mattm, I'm not sure what format you need but here is a link which explains how to convert to a hgt file and there is a link to a small application that does a bulk conversion to hgt.
http://www.ictworks.org/obtaining-and-converting-aster-gdem-data-srtm-radio-mobile

Hope this is of some use to you.
Regards
Barrie

Edit:- I think you use bmp greyscale maps that have 256 different levels. If this is the case I have sent off an e mail of to try to get an application which will convert the hgt to bmp.

Last edited:
Good morning gremlin1812 (i hope:D.) The link you posted looks to be what i need. I will have a further detailed look, and trial, tonight. If all goes well, you shall hear from me tonight, with news of my success.
On the other hand, however, if all does not go well.... Nah, just kidding. I should get some usable data from the info you provided.

Many thanks, Mattm.

Last edited:
Gremlin1812: Yaaaay! It works. Using the links that you provided, i was able to download and covert a dem file that i can use. (IE it has no holes!)

Thank you, now i will attempt once more to generate suitable terrain for the area Gosford-Wyong using Microdem, rather than by hand, which i have been attempting to do for the last week.

Stay tuned for more news on my progress:).

Tommorrow I will download that data so I can start on the Great Northern Line. :cool:
Should be finnished in ??????? Don't ask me. I've still got to deal with High School

Back