Article: Tell us what you really think!

Regarding "Tell Us What You Really Think"...

I used to use TS12 almost every day. It was my favorite waste of time. I liked being able to build big routes, and then drive them with my grandson, sometimes just having fun crashing the trains into each other. The AI seemed to work real well and the editor was easy to use and it worked well. So when this new TANE version became available, I jumped on the chance to get it back when it was first released. Since then I have used it for maybe 1 hour, once a month. I am truly disappointed. It does not seam any better, I have lost all my old routes, there is less content, and I read how you can sorta move them over but will loose the built in content or some content will not work in the new TANE. So that's not a real big deal, I like building routes, so I will start building new routes from scratch...

Wrong... The editor looks the same, but it just does not work correctly. I select 6 units on the heights tool, then click on the land and it uses the last height I used, not what is displayed in the tool. I have to click on a different tool then click back to the height tool, then reselect the 6 units then click the land, and if I'm lucky it will use what is selected on the tool display. That's just one of the messed up things the editor does. If you save your route, the spiny thing won't go away until you click on several things on the editor. It's almost like the editor was changed from rock solid C+ to very sloppy Java (you click and hope it runs all the way through). It just makes editing frustrating and I loose interest almost immediately.

And did I mention that it looks pretty much the same, I see no eye popping new graphics, looks the same, like a game. Also the content manager is a joke, the old one had some bugs, but was visually appealing and it did do a good job downloading new content. The new one looks like a notepad with an internet connection... amateurish.

I feel like the developers totally misunderstood what it meant to create an updated product, instead they tried to recreate the wheel, and made an inferior product, what a shame.

So if you want me to become a big fan of this game again, pleased address the basics, like making the editor work correctly, when you click something it should do as you expect it to do, not hope it will do it. Create a real content manager, and make a function that imports a users old content. And if you fix it so the editor works smoothly, maybe I'll buy some content, cant buy content if the editor and content manager is a joke now can I.

I'm sure I'll get bashed 10 ways to Sunday for these comments, but you did ask the question... "Tell Us What You Really Think"

Update 1/14/2016 ... SP1 has fixed a lot of the usage problems I was having and it is now fun to build routes again. It's getting better, just a few more things, maybe a SP2 ???

Last edited:
I had received a question whether I would buy T:ane which I answered I wouldn't because my hardware (MacMini) wouldn't be up to it. I have to review this answer because I had completely forgotten that I had already bought the program at the AppStore, and the original version was indeed too much for my hardware. In the meantime I had received an update through the AppStore, so I have now Build 78649. It turned out that this version is in fact a lot faster, and in addition to this I had upgraded my OS from Yosemite to El Capitan. Both updates promised faster processing, and in fact now I am quite happy with T:ane. As for my age, I an 'only' 75, so I can't compete with either Narrowgauge or DonMac.

Greetings,
Dralex

Last edited:
Need way more features in the Content Manager to justify the first class ticket subscription fee
Would be nice to filter by number of downloads in the Trainz Content Manager within the game since nobody bothers to rate the mods. Also, I'm getting unable to download errors. Unable to validate the mesh dependency. A subscription is required to uncap the ridiculous download limits?!? I might be willing to pay that but not in it's current state. This program needs better descriptions of content and a way to preview the content BEFORE you download (or at least see some pics without visiting the Download Station website). Also, as long as the Trainz Content Manager is downloading something, the Steam Client (where I bought T:ANE) says you are in-game. As a result, I cannot play any other game in my Steam library while Trainz is taking 3 hours to download a tiny mod file. The Steam Workshop (which has no subscription fee) is lightyears ahead of the Trainz Content Manager. Great train simulator (never crashes on me like another train sim I own) but the mod manager is painful to use at best.

Need way more features in the Content Manager to justify the first class ticket subscription fee
Would be nice to filter by number of downloads in the Trainz Content Manager within the game since nobody bothers to rate the mods. Also, I'm getting unable to download errors. Unable to validate the mesh dependency. A subscription is required to uncap the ridiculous download limits?!? I might be willing to pay that but not in it's current state. This program needs better descriptions of content and a way to preview the content BEFORE you download (or at least see some pics without visiting the Download Station website). Also, as long as the Trainz Content Manager is downloading something, the Steam Client (where I bought T:ANE) says you are in-game. As a result, I cannot play any other game in my Steam library while Trainz is taking 3 hours to download a tiny mod file. The Steam Workshop (which has no subscription fee) is lightyears ahead of the Trainz Content Manager. Great train simulator (never crashes on me like another train sim I own) but the mod manager is painful to use at best.

Welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately there isn't currently a way that I know of of filtering by number of downloads but it's something N3V may add in the future.

In terms of the preview (thumbnail), this is possible but in T:ANE it is handled in a bit of an odd way as the option that needs to be ticked is in the Trainz Settings box.

Shane

Navigating in T ane

Hi,

Hi,

I agree with your comments. I also find it very difficult to find the objects I want in surveyor. They are not all classified under headings describing them. For example you can find buildings listed under all kinds of names including foreign names that wouldn't even reveal that they are buildings. To go through the entire list of assets to see what is there is too time consuming. I know there are categories you can type in , for example 'sand' but this does not show one of the best textures, for which you have to type'desert'. So a better classifying of assets is needed.

I know that I am the exception rather than normal-I am 94 years of age and have been using trainz since version 2006. I am still using Trainz Classics 3 which is my favourite. I would like to thank the originators of that version for the very many hours of pleasure it has given me and kept the old 'brainbox' reasonably active.
I have had T:ane for some time and cannot get on with it. My main stumbling block is the smallness of the text making it extremely difficult to navigate
through the menus. I realize that this is a personal problem. I am sure I am not the only 'oldie' running Trainz. Is there a preference somewhere which could help me. DonMac

I just want to ask. I'm a MAC user and I'm Australian and I really love Australian NSWGR kinds of trains like from the steam era.
But I don't get why you must add Warwick to Wallengarra route only on windows.

I think the game is Amazing.with graphics and stuff but it's kind of disappointing to see that happen. But I still love you N3V!

I really do love this game. It's so fun, but I HATE it at the same time. Long load times. crashes constantly. I'm in the middle of editing a layout that I'm working on, 2-4 hours worth of work. BAM! Crashes and closes out of Nowhere. It really p***es me off. I really do love this game. I've got major back problem and other medical issues. This is like my digital model train. I just hate the fact that I put in hours of work and building and it doesn't get saved, because it is so unstable. Again I really enjoy this game. Just wish it was more stable.

Last edited:
What a dissapointment

OK .... you want response for TANE.

First let me say I am just a player...I build a bit...but I enjoy just building driving I am not great with teckie stuff......

But....loading TANE has been awful ( I had all your previous trainz never had issue......I cannot play at this point, certain things don't open. And don't say my PC isn't good enough because you sent by email an early TANE and what I got worked. The DVD is just not good on loading. This takes me into 'fixing' things. I want a product that works not have to fix it.

What I have got does not allow me to edit and build. What I have got as a selection is nothing like previous games which had usa Russia china etc....

I bought the version with extra lines apparently got me 6 month downloads...NOTHING? DO HAVE TO SEARCH FOR THAT?

Overall terribly upset how you released this and unless you are into building loading fixing its not playable.

I have been a fan for years........but this has been nothing short of very very disappointing

I agree with all of the points above and cannot believe you would release a version so full of bugs and inconsistancies. At least on previous versions I could fix the problems with points non working, disconnected industries etc then play the scenarios knowing the train would work properly. This version is frustrating and poorly presented. You will not be getting any more money out of me.
Rod Bramley now an ex trainz fan

does it still drive you nutz?

giphy.gif

I only ask, because it seems to be working pretty good on other things, for me.

I think you could mabey add the new Flying Scottsman DLC also for MAC users as I have TANE SP1 and would be delighted to see the apple green A3 going down my custom layout.

Also for Trainz 2 on the IOS you should add Australian steam seeming you have American and British. And when I mean 'steam' I mean the c3801 and 3830 also Indian Red coaches. Mabey even a whole layout, like the Warwick to Wallengarra route thats actually pretty successful in my opinion. You can google the following engines if you want to get a better idea of what I'm trying to put out to you guys.

3801 is a 4-6-2 steam locomotive operated by the New South Wales Government Railways between 1943 and 1976 ( It was unfortunetly the wrong engine at the wrong time, Diesels had already started to take over the steam transportation system.) It is arguably Australia's most famous steam locomotive, being the only one to have visited all main line states and territories.

I just want to ask. I'm a MAC user and I'm Australian and I really love Australian NSWGR kinds of trains like from the steam era.
But I don't get why you must add Warwick to Wallengarra route only on windows.

Wait never mind you realeased it in a bundle and let me tell you I think its nealy 200 dollars value but instead you can get it for 17.50 which is a BARGAN Thanks N3V!

I really think it you guys could beat Dovetail.
There's a need to use completely new content, and eliminate legacy compatibility before that will ever happen. Refinement to make the trainz not stutter would be a great improvement.

I love this simulator and the control it gives me for building a route. For the money it is quite reasonable.

I've installed TANE but don't use it. There is simply not enough content I need yet for this version. Perhaps in the future TANE will catch up with more content. So for now, I am stuck with less eye candy using Trainz 20012 because it offers more for the route I've been working on.

My comments is similar to posts above, but here is my opinion, to add to what has already been shared:

My biggest complaint with the sim is the number of broken content on the DL station. So many missing dependencies that it boggles the mind. I know you can't control what gets developed, but you should be able to screen the content on the DLS for problems and issues. When there is a problem you, the Trainz developers, need to take responsibility and provide a means for fixing it or remove it from the down load station. The users of Trainz deserve it. VERY FRUSTRATING. It's also amazing to me how much of the content that came with the sim is not functional as well. The routes and scenarios don't work and have errors, almost all without exception. This is unacceptable in my opinion.

The search engine in general on the forum is very poor. So many searches provide unrelated topics that it is a waste of my time to weed through all the BS to find the one nugget I need.

When creating a route using Surveyor, it is very difficult to find the item I need. In order to use the find box, you have to know the exact name of the item you are looking for. (Not going to be possible) The search should allow for "contains" or "description" not just what the item starts with. I know I can save items as favorites, but only after wading through literally thousands of items to find what I want. I should be able to filter the search more effectively so I can look specifically for trees, buildings, figures, etc. This would make my search much easier and less time consuming.

The tiny thumbnail provided in Surveyor is useless. It would be more helpful to get a large image that can be rotated in all planes to assess it from the search function in Surveyor.

I don't own Train Simulator, it is just too expensive to buy all the content and locomotives to keep the sim interesting. But watching other videos on YouTube, when someone buys something, it works and is beautiful. All in all, I love this sim. But it always strikes me as a program that is not quite right, not quite complete, still in beta stage.

So you asked for my opinion, there it is.

Last edited:
Hi Grandpa1955 and welcome to the Trainz community,

I see your post and I simply had to respond.
In short: I wish you had found the forum earlier and asked about a bunch of the things that you mention in your post as negative, as a few things are simply not true or have a solution.

not enough content ... using Trainz 20012 because it offers more for the route I've been working on.
This makes me believe you are missing a key feature of both TS12 and TANE: The Download Station. Using the DLS, there is effectively more content for TANE as there is for TS12 as TANE can use the TS12 content but TS12 can not use the TANE content.
Asset available on the DLS for TS12: 275 thousand.
Asset available on the DLS for TANE: 279 thousand.

My biggest complaint with the sim is the number of broken content on the DL station.
A new team of veteran Trainz users recently has started to fix many of these assets. They have a list of about 8000 assets to go through (out of 284 thousand, so still less then 3% of all content) so it will take them some time.

So many missing dependencies that it boggles the mind. I know you can't control what gets developed, but you should be able to screen the content on the DLS for problems and issues.
May I suggest posting this idea in the Suggestion Boxcar?

provide a means for fixing it or remove it from the down load station.
That is a design choice.
Content creators are free to host their content on 3rd party website, with much frustration of a lot of users who don't like the KUID hunt as a result.
Removing content with missing dependencies from the DLS would be a waste of a lot of good content that can be fixed by a "kuid hunt" or replacing the missing asset by an alternative. Post on the forum about this if you need help with a specific asset or learn the tricks.

It's also amazing to me how much of the content that came with the sim is not functional as well. The routes and scenarios don't work and have errors, almost all without exception.
May I suggest checking if you have all patches installed? It might simply fix a few of your problems. Check the forum for information or post a question how.

The search engine in general on the forum is very poor.
True. I suggest simply using Google instead. Does the trick most of the time and saves a lot of frustration.

When creating a route using Surveyor, it is very difficult to find the item I need. In order to use the find box, you have to know the exact name of the item you are looking for. (Not going to be possible) The search should allow for "contains" or "description" not just what the item starts with. I know I can save items as favorites, but only after wading through literally thousands of items to find what I want. I should be able to filter the search more effectively so I can look specifically for trees, buildings, figures, etc. This would make my search much easier and less time consuming.
Not true and there are solutions in game to make your life easier.
I surveyor there is a filter option that lets you do just about all of the things you currently claim it can not do. This option can be found in the top left corner of Surveyor. It lets you search for partial words, asset categories, authors, install dates, etc. Go investigate; you will love it.
No need to use "favorites". Instead, use "Pick lists". You can create multiple and manage them both in Surveyor and Content Manager. You can create different lists for different things. I got a list of often used assets, seasonal assets, flora and fauna, etc. Very useful and it sounds like exactly what you need. This option is "hidden" in / under the filter option I mentioned a few lines back. Go investigate! :)

In short:
I encourage you to use the forum and post questions. A lot of friendly people who can help you out with a bunch of the things you mentioned or are struggling with.

Based on the TANE system requirements, I purchased a new MacBook Pro, with the specs below which meet the recommended requirements for TANE. However, it is sluggish and choppy even at the lowest possible performance settings. Can anyone suggest what's wrong?
Model Name: MacBook Pro Model Identifier: MacBookPro12,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB

Back