A way to deal with unsightly tunnel portals

Have you tried the various tunnels from AJS? They are made as separate portals with spline connection points for tunnel walls and either single or double tracks as well as spline connection points for wing walls. I have alsays found them easy to use and easy to customise (I have just had a quick play at hiding them using your FMA complete bridges trick and it works nicely too.

Thanks, Clanky. I messed up with the second vertical retaining wall because I used the wrong one and the wall dropped down to cover the tunnel entrance.

My problem is that I need tunnels with catenary. I've investigated AJS tunnels, but haven't come across one with inside catenary. That's what I need for my rail lines.

Bill

Bill,

There are some around, but I'm guessing you want UK type catenary.

If you're not too fussed there are some tunnels by Egos48 (kuid:53261), but they are standard Italian type catenary. Here are examples of single & double tracked tunnels which I've used to good effect on my Italian routes.

Cheers,
Casper

tunnels%20with%20catenary_zpsdegfzovo.jpg~original

Last edited:
Ah, great, Casper, but the rounded UK-style tunnels won't work well with my routes, which are Japanese. Most of the tunnels are square with perhaps cement portals. I am forced to use the Beton-type tunnels only because they have internal catenary. But (at least on my system) the portals are solid white and just look terrible. Plus, they are round also.

I wish I was good at creating content, or at least able to modify tunnels to add catenary to them. As a test, I put down catenary alongside the buried tunnel and then lowered each vertex down into the mountain until the arm showed inside the tunnel. Talk about tedious!

At the moment, as al alternative to the Beton tunnels, I've put down simple, square tunnels and ignored the fact they didn't have catenary inside them.

Bill

Casper:

I don't know where you got those tunnels. A detailed search of the DLS (including TRS2004 - which gave me "unavailable" for a lot of items) for 'egos48' turned up nothing like what you pictured. Are they payware?

Bill

Hi Bill.

Ah, I hadn't spotted the Japanese requirement until I re-read the thread.

I downloaded several of the Italian types from the same author some years ago as freeware. It may have been from the TrainzItalia site, but I can't be sure. Their site has changed somewhat and I can't see a gateway to browse without being registered.

If you do a Google search using the full kuid2:53261:38073:1 there are sites which offer a .zip download, but I can't vouch for their reliability.

Casper

I see what you mean, Casper. Every Google hit was on a Cyrillic site (or this thread).I may try to go with a portal-less tunnel and add my FMA Bridge trick for the portals. If they are short, I can drag a spline of catenary poles through the tunnel and out the other side. If it curves, I'm doomed. LOL

Bill

Catenary inside of tunnels. Try KUID:60850:37210. I set these one by one, using a catenary gauge tool. If the bore is very deep and your camera has trouble seeing so far deep, you may have to flatten the mountain, set the catenary and re-make the mountain. Very tedious but it works. Than is the way I do it. Another problem is that the wires of this asset may not attach properly to the wires you may have, so a "connect by eye" may have to be done. at the mouth of the portal. Do not use standard catenary poles, because most of the times you will see the pole at the wall of the bore and is not realistic.

Thanks for the info, Llebrez. I just gave that a try and it is definitely tedious. If the tunnel is straight, then it can be done, but if it curves, then that's a whole new ball game. A lot of my route is DEM, so flattening and recreating the mountain isn't an option.

Bill

I see that snap to grid tunnels as being the main problem.

If you must use snap to grid tunnels, do so by laying two very short single track segments, just outside the tunnel portals, and connect the snap to grid tunnels to them. Making a catenary follow a tunnel isn't that hard, you just have to look down from straight above in wireframe mode. Place temporary spline points in the tunnel snap to grid track, and measure their height, and write down the numerals ... then delete the tremporary spline points, and apply those numerals to the catenary spline points, and slide the catenary under the track ... or just use a tunnel that as it's own catenary included.

It's only a train ... I don't think your Trainz will mind

Last edited:
Alterr also made some nice tunnels, albeit, they are for trams and the German Frankfurt U-bahn system. These tunnels are "blind" meaning there is no grid attachment or tunnel mouth which you add later. You need to use a dighole and fix things, but they do work. The tram tunnels have the catenary in place and is similar to most German catenary I've seen in various videos. Inside the tunnel it won't matter anyway, and being European, the height might work well as these are a bit low for North American rolling stock, but for elsewhere they seem fine. There is also a third-rail version for underground or subway use which looks good as well. You might have to get these as part of his routes which are available on TranzDepot.de

John

Eureka! You are right, John. Alterr does have some nice tunnels. They don't snap to grid and the dighole fits around them perfectly. 1 and 2 track configurations are available. I can work with these.

Thanks,

Bill

Well, that was certainly inappropriate, Cascade. I wasn't aware that speaking English was a prerequisite for creating content. As for the screenshots, there was NO requirement to have one for years and years. A person who creates a great deal of content without a screenshot is suddenly required to have one, so that person creates a single screenshot and applies it to all the content. I don't have a problem with that at all. The asset naming probably made a great deal of sense to the creator - it doesn't have to make sense to us.

Bill

And to add more to this... The content was created for his own route. The Frankfurt U-bahn is just that, a tram and subway system in Frankfurt. This route is fairly prototypical as well and you can actually go for camera rides of it on YouTube. His naming convention has to do with route number I believe.

You owe him an apology and as far as the snotty little screen shots go, I agree they're really a waste of space and time. We went for years without them and who cares.

John

To try to lighten this up a little with a bit of new tech news....

Coming to an edition of T:ANE near your!
d5b3fb29bf65adf57f944a739bfdd300.jpg

PREVIEW ASSET!*

So all this whining about accurate thumbnails and naming nomenclature can Finally die......

-Falcus

*fine print: Works on every single damg asset I've seen so far. House pictured Random Asset by Spock2004 all rights reserved to author though listed as free on Auran/N3v DLS...... No Pixels were harmed in the production of this shameless T:ANE Plug.....

Can anyone, (or I), change someones assets, and upload a proper screenshot preview image as and update, and change the description of someone else's assets that are on the DLS, to show an intelligible description ?

To try to lighten this up a little with a bit of new tech news....

Coming to an edition of T:ANE near your!

~ IMAGE REMOVED~

So all this whining about accurate thumbnails and naming nomenclature can Finally die......

-Falcus ~snip~
That's the wierdest tunnel portal I've ever seen, and that thumbnail is way too big!:p

Casper
:(
In probably a totally pointless effort to get back on topic

Hi Bill,

Sorry for coming late to the thread. I used also the Tunnel beton 2te because it is the only true tunnel that seems fitting for a high speed track. However as far as Shinkansen goes. Hirochi has created specialized Shinkansen tunnels (see Japan screenshots thread a few pages back). I plan to replace most of the Beton Tunnels with that in future. However I still like the Beton 2te one on the inside. I wish there was a new version of it. I also use it for the TGV.

EDITED to Add:

I wish TANE would include a whole new and far more flexible tunnel system.

Last edited:
Greetings, Pagroove:

I've been following the Japan thread faithfully. I've also downloaded everything available from all the contributors in that thread - and used most of it. I agree that Hirochi's tunnels are much better than the Beton tunnels, and plan on using them for my higher-speed runs. The tunnels created by Alterr can be used for more rural tracks, and lesser tunnels.

Thanks for dropping by.

Bill

Back