A farewell to the community for a number of reasons

Enzo1

Offends by example
I'm going to be saying good bye to the trainz community going forward from here. No, this isn't another lousy post about how bad TANE is, or how Trainz next is going to ruin our trainzing experience. This is a lousy post calling on the community itself. The community is in shambles right now. It needs new direction that perhaps one day in the future can find, and I might once return and enjoy it. The community has changed from groups of hobbyist enjoy and sharing experiences across each other, and having a good ole blast, to one where it is nothing more than a playground for more arguments than discussing political affiliation. It has turned into a land where people turn around and backstabbed each other. They don't respect each other's work. It's about how good I can make this one thing, so I can be popular with so many people, and use that to crush the people I don't like. This has nothing to do with children, gimmie pigs, and the likes. This has to do with people being more childish than toddlers are. This has nothing to do with the number of comments I receive on my work, because I receive comments on it quite often, and are usually positive with good suggestions here and there. I appreciate the people who take the time to enjoy it, and the hobby that Trainz brings us all. If you would like to continue to see my work, or talk to me, you can contact me privately anytime you wish, as I'll still be trainzing along. The Trainz community really needs to find it's direction and go there, because it is not going anywhere right now. Nothing can really progress without the community being united in any one way for any one cause.

2nd, The community needs to cure it's diseases, because they are becoming more of a nuisance than ever before. We blame the mods, N3V, or others, but never actually blame the people who do it, and ourselves for not taking appropriate action. It's time that we started doing so. Perhaps then, we can actually get some bright minds on here to make it a better experience for everybody. Our first step would be to instantly hitting the report button every time there was a post that was intentionally set out to cause a flame war or as such. We also need to hit the report button on the social justice warriors, as they are making the problem much much worse by inviting the trolls to come over, and intentionally incite riots so that they can divide the community further.

3rd, we need to rat out those diseases on our own, so that they can see they are not accepted here. This is quite a problem I see, and until it gets stopped, the issue will never go away or even be a step closer to making the community a more family friendly place again. There is a group of people responsible for a large number of issues on this very forum right now, and yet no action by the community has been taken. It looks as though we accept them here, so why else do so many of them come here? It's because they aren't welcome in other communities. Perhaps we should think about this, and think about the action we could take to fix it.

4th, I would actually like to take back some of the comments I said about TANE and Tony. I would like to congratulate him on the success that N3V has had making TANE better, as from what I can see, has come an extremely long way from where it started. I'm even thinking about taking another dive into it and see what can be done with it.

Please, keep trainzing, and enjoying yourselves, as I still will be too, and I might even pop in and out with a quick shot or two, but for now, but for now, it's a good bye.

Bummer as it is a shame to see you go. I for one enjoy seeing your screen shots and try and improve my own route. Maybe its just me and I only follow a few threads on the forum as I only have limited time to love, work, and play with my trainz :hehe:so I don't see a lot to what you're speaking of.

Bye for now, but I look forward to your return one day hopefully soon.

Dave

Before you go just listen to the words of Micky Rooney

It would be a shame to miss out on your work and screenshots

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about Enzo1 and I completely agree with you 100%. The forums have not been the same when I first joined the community back in 2004. I hope you will come back because I know and most members of this community will miss you. I look forward for your return but for now enjoy your retirement. We will miss you until you hopefully one day return
Childish memes used inappropriately is one of the reasons this forum is deteriorating, especially when used as a form of insult or negative comment!

A shame it's come to this Chris but I can see why.
I too agree with you on that. I personally think the memes and other childish nonsense I've seen around here has gone on for far too long by people who have no respect to the people who are trying to do the following 3 things

#1 Trying to help out new members get settled into on how trainz works and how to use it (Instead I see more and more people telling them to either learn it themselves or tell them to get lost apparently)

#2 Trying to help new users to become content creators (lately and I experience and seen this this both on and off these forums, that more and more of these newer generation of content creators and Im not referring to ever creator but I know some of them instead of politely showing them the ropes on how to create content in a professional manner like Bill from K&L or Trainboi1 from Trainzforge are both excellent examples of this where they politely and professional tries to help newcomers into the world of content creation, Instead I've seen more and more cases of people telling them very rudely to go start creating content on their own and offer little to no help what so ever. Ive experience this type of behavior and it turned me down from trying to become a content creator).

#3 Trying to help new users learn the rules of this forum. (I remember back in the days when I first joined the community back in 2004 the people back then if the were a Moderator or not, everyone was a very polite and forgiving to the newer members if someone like lets say double posted or bumped a old thread. Nowadays Ive seen more and more cases of new users being attack by not moderators (who I will say the current ones are doing a great job here) but by people who are constantly backseat moderating and telling new users rather rudely and unprofessionally telling them to stop it or else because it makes them mad. I remember a certain time someone just posted their first post by bumping an old topic that was several years old and was already being attack for doing it while he may not yet know the rules of this forum. this upsets me not at the mods but to the people who are backseat moderating. They should just let the moderators do their job and let them handle it professionally like it should be.

Last edited:
It's not just new users, there are a number of people who have been around a while and have been bringing their petty fights over here. And others who just feel the need to run around attacking people that don't follow the rules they made up in their head.

In fact most new members are really quite good people (there are some bad eggs), are interested in learning and getting involved. The bigger problem are these "been around the block a couple times, but not really veterans" mentioned earlier. They have very thin skin and not only find offense in almost everything, feel the need to then attack the people who 'offended' them (just asking how they did something is taken offensively)

Peter

Trainz can be enjoyed without the forum. Seems that over the years, the forum has become the hobby for many. They spend more time on the forums than in the program itself. Many people say they are leaving Trainz when what they really are doing is leaving the forum. If you spread a huge sheet of white paper out and put two small black spots on it, the attention will always focus on the spots....although most of the sheet is still white, it will be thought of as ruined because of the small spots. Writing a long dissertation about why this forum sucks isn't going to change anything....leaving won't either.

most people like the ones you are talking about don't last too around normal people anyway, but unfortunately there will always be more because it takes all types.
Why should you and I give up what we enjoy for them then ? I say let's develop a thicker skin and ignore the ones who irritate you.
Don't leave for them man.

Unfortunately the good old forum days of the 2004 -2008 era are long gone. Hopefully one day they will return!!! I've got my fingers crossed, but I'm not holding my breath.

I found it really enjoyable & stimulating back then, discussing trainz with like minded people from all over the world.

Now days, I've gone thru period of weeks on end where I haven't felt like reading/posting in the forum because of some of the crap & stirring that's taking place...

I'm hoping to see moderators/N3V come down a lot harder on some of these sh_t stirrers who set out to create mayhem in this forum. Nothing better to do in life, other than to try and upset others. The thing is, most of them know who they are!!!

One thing I've found a while ago to make my forum experience better & more enjoyable is the "Ignore list button"

Hoping the community can one day come closer together, be more tolerant & understand, respect other peoples differing views, weed out the trolls and just make the forum a fun place to be part of... (again).

Happy trainzing all,

Cheers, Mac...

Last edited:
It is always unfortunate that negatives pop up in any hobby or pastime. Over all the years I have been here I have been happy and only once got a petted lip thing from two even thought I tried to get a better attitude during that short exchange. Was only a passing more non-Trainz practicality issue. Not being a crabby person I did fail to get a non-petted lip and tried to pick up with one again but was ignored. Not my attitude but that is life, eh?! More generally manners and reasonable tones were once the norm and maybe less so these days but I would never let my great fondness for Trainz be affected. When occasional health issues come up I am glad I have the programme and that I discovered it way back in the TRS4 days by sheer chance. Unlike MS, I found that a non techy like me could build things and that was great. Disagreement on an issue is quite okay as long as people try to mature and sensible and not get carried away.

Moderators coming down hard on Trainzers is not the solution. That is not a Moderator's job. A Moderator is here to help the Community and to try and sort things out, and most of all, be helpful. Respect your Moderators because it can be a thankless but necessary job. Oh, and have fun here. :)

Cheers

AJ

The problem with forums in general (and I'm as guilty as anyone) is that it's all too easy to get carried away and post what you wouldn't think of saying if having a face to face conversation or we were all sat round a table in the pub over a few beers, discussing the state of Trainz and train simming in general. This is also a hobby in which you find many with diametrically opposed views - it's one thing fighting your corner but sometimes it's necessary to accept other people have a right to a view which differs from yours and maybe, just maybe, you might actually be wrong. Again, the nature of forums can make it very difficult to back down and admit you might have been wrong.

In truth this place (and most other train sim forums) are populated by a bunch of tame old pussycats compared to the expression of opinionation at some places on the net - peruse Reddit for any length of time and you will see quite merciless shredding going on (or Overclockers UK General Discussion in the political threads, where even the "Dons" struggle to keep things under control).

We are all here to share a common hobby which we all enjoy, there are times when it does get frustrating the more so when others can't or won't see your POV. However ultimately it is just a game and there are far more important issues going on in the wider world at present to get worried about, than what a bunch of pixels on a PC screen are doing.

The problem with forums in general (and I'm as guilty as anyone) is that it's all too easy to get carried away and post what you wouldn't think of saying if having a face to face conversation or we were all sat round a table in the pub over a few beers, discussing the state of Trainz and train simming in general. This is also a hobby in which you find many with diametrically opposed views - it's one thing fighting your corner but sometimes it's necessary to accept other people have a right to a view which differs from yours and maybe, just maybe, you might actually be wrong. Again, the nature of forums can make it very difficult to back down and admit you might have been wrong.

In truth this place (and most other train sim forums) are populated by a bunch of tame old pussycats compared to the expression of opinionation at some places on the net - peruse Reddit for any length of time and you will see quite merciless shredding going on (or Overclockers UK General Discussion in the political threads, where even the "Dons" struggle to keep things under control).

We are all here to share a common hobby which we all enjoy, there are times when it does get frustrating the more so when others can't or won't see your POV. However ultimately it is just a game and there are far more important issues going on in the wider world at present to get worried about, than what a bunch of pixels on a PC screen are doing.

I agree with the above view there (with thanks to Vern for posting it) and I'm sure I've also been guilty of that at least once. Trainz is just a game and there are indeed much more important things going on.

Shane

AJ has right attitude. Trainz is fun, and we should be keeping that way. There are still a lot of us who hail back to earlier days. But isn't our fault for not keeping it fun?
A light attitude and a thick skin helps.
I personally think it's a shame when a contributing participant leaves, on the excuse that it's another groups fault. It says more about them than it does about the majority of us.
With all due respect................

mike

tumblr_mxx24a7wMc1qa3pfso1_400.gif

Just get back into "it" ... and chill !

(Welcome back) :cool:

Euphod is probably lurking here under another UN ... Where the heck is Ed anyway ?

Last edited:
Back