Lime Kiln or similar

PortLineParker

UK Route Builder
Hi all,

I've scoured the DLS but I've had no luck as of yet, so I'm wondering if any esteemed members of our community can help me out. I'm looking for an asset to represent the lime kiln as seen in this photo:
limekilnevercreechnewlookingwfromdownplatformc1960sHwkk.jpg

Apologies for the size, it's the biggest I can get it but it certainly gives an idea of scale. A search for Lime Kilns doesn't produce anything useful and I haven't found any other building that could be a good substitute. I'm aware that I would probably have to manually build the walkway and stairs around it, but is anyone aware of a structure or building that is similar in size and overall appearance that could be a good substitute?

Cheers,

PLP

Hi John,

Afraid not, information is relatively scarce unfortunately. I'll keep digging through my books to see if I can find anything else. Measuring an old map, it appears (and please bare in mind this is a rough calculation) that it is around 19m long x 11m wide. Using the signals in my book as a reference, I'd estimate it is around 50/60ft high but I'll try and get something more concrete.

Cheers,

PLP

There's the:

<kuid2:35412:28217:14> S and C Lime works_TS2009

and

<kuid:35412:28169> S&C Lime kiln

These assets by Mike10 are from the Settle and Carlisle DLC route.

Hi all,

I've scoured the DLS but I've had no luck as of yet, so I'm wondering if any esteemed members of our community can help me out. I'm looking for an asset to represent the lime kiln as seen in this photo:
limekilnevercreechnewlookingwfromdownplatformc1960sHwkk.jpg

Apologies for the size, it's the biggest I can get it but it certainly gives an idea of scale. A search for Lime Kilns doesn't produce anything useful and I haven't found any other building that could be a good substitute. I'm aware that I would probably have to manually build the walkway and stairs around it, but is anyone aware of a structure or building that is similar in size and overall appearance that could be a good substitute?

Cheers,

PLP
@PortLineParker - I would be happy to make a static scenery asset of one of these kilns. 🍻

I found this website with detailed pics of the Evercreech Kiln ruins. The kiln is more like 20' high, not 50-60.

https://www.brocross.com/industrial history/somerset limekilns/Evercreech/Evercreech.htm

I'm using the arch tops from this kiln in Alabama
I'm working on a model right now, forming the kiln arches.

I'll post screen here shortly.

Rico

Ok. Here's the kiln so far. I believe I have the frontside dimensions correct-ish looking.
There's 5 degree tilt to the front and side walls, it is at total about 40 feet in height going by the tiny blk&wht pic.

I modeled in the Kiln recess interior, but need to know if those recessed areas had doors on them or not.

Work so far

image.png

image.png

Next will be to figure out the platform, the kiln structure under the platform, and what the roof looks like.

Rico

Hi all,

Thanks for your useful info and links - I had spotted that website but unfortunately it gives very little in the way of physical dimensions.

@ricomon35 that looks very good, thank you very much! I use Sketchup myself but I didn't fancy tackling it due to lack of dimensions but you seem to have got a very good representation there! The only thing I'd say at this point (and this may be on your to do list as I know it is one of the last things I do) is that the brickwork was grey in appearance. But it still looks very good, so thank you! As for the doors, I wouldn't have thought they would be necessary - I'm modelling the route about 6 years after the kilns closed so they wouldn't have been used. I think it's a fair assumption that the doors may have been removed by that point.

Cheers,

PLP

Hi all,

Thanks for your useful info and links - I had spotted that website but unfortunately it gives very little in the way of physical dimensions.

@ricomon35 that looks very good, thank you very much! I use Sketchup myself but I didn't fancy tackling it due to lack of dimensions but you seem to have got a very good representation there! The only thing I'd say at this point (and this may be on your to do list as I know it is one of the last things I do) is that the brickwork was grey in appearance. But it still looks very good, so thank you! As for the doors, I wouldn't have thought they would be necessary - I'm modelling the route about 6 years after the kilns closed so they wouldn't have been used. I think it's a fair assumption that the doors may have been removed by that point.

Cheers,

PLP
I did change the red to grey. I'm using the red only on the arches and the kiln back wall where they are showing red in the brocross website pics

I should have it finished tomorrow. Off to bed :)

Rico

@PortLineParker -

Kiln is finished.
I modeled the kiln with the original sliding metal doors and the wood panel surrounds. Compromise with the ruined look and the route timeframe you're modeling.
They look very beat-up, aged and ready for the scrap yard.

I'm sending you a dropbox link for a cdp. Check your PM's. Please load it in, and let me know if it fits in the space you have.

Some screens

image.png

image.png

image.png

Rico

Back