1958 or 1980?

jadebullet

might be back?
Well guys, I am at an impass. I cannot decide which year to model my Mayburry Northern in first. I was originally planning on doing two different eras, 1958, when PRR, RDG, LVRR, C&O, B&O and WM were still running, and 1980, 4 years after the Conrail takeover.

The problem that I am having is that there is a severe lack of quality 1950s content, even in locomotives, for TRS. This is making things pretty difficult. Another factor is that I have won a $20.00 coupon to jointed rail and I am probably going to get the Conrail C30-7 and the Sou SD40-2 hi hood.(more on the Southern later in the post.)

Now, with the 1950s, I planned on having the Reading, LVRR and Chessie use the Mayburry as a bridge line, and the WM use it as both a bridgeline and an interchange point. I was also planning on using a paralell mainline that was raised on an embankment for the PRR to run on, at least for a short distance, and have an interchange point with the Mayburry Northern at the City of Mayburry, PA.

As I have said though, I have run into problems with quality of 1950s content, as there is very little in the way of content all together.

Now, with the 1980 version, I planned on Conrail using the old PRR mainline as its main, and interechanging with the Mayburry, as well as using the lower line(Mayburry Mainline) for bridge traffic. Though the Mayburry had lost quite a bit of revenue with the loss of bridge traffic from the Reading and Lehigh Valley, it was made up by an increase in bridge and interchange traffic with the Chessie, and newcommer to the area, the Southern Railway. This is due in part to the crafty business tactics of Mayburry President George Bast. With the cement business continuing to thrive, the Mayburry started to put even more resources into various industries around the area, the main one being coal. With a valuble source of coal nearby, and a major power plant in the area, the Mayburry wasn't hit as hard as railroads such as the Reading with the decline of coal as a heating source. The Mayburry also anticipated the switch to heating oil in homes, and had been adapting for a few years ahead of time, and had a pretty lucrative business deal with the local heating oil dealers. This of course helped out the Chessie, which would interchange with the Mayburry and deliver the oil, while also getting loads of coal from the Mayburry. Another help to the Mayburry was the track manipulation that would result in the Southern Railway creating a branch that would allow them to run to the Mayburry Mainline and use it as a bridge line to Harrisburg, PA. Through careful purchasing of trackage, the Mayburry had created a nice corridor that would allow bridge line traffic for the Soutern Railway, which had been in contact with the Mayburry since the early 70s looking for a line to Harrisburg. This bridgeline would bring in more revenue to the Mayburry, as well as more vital interchange traffic, including cement.

I was just wondering what everyone thought and your opinions on what I should model. The 1950s are cool, but the lack of content is killing me, plus the limitation of what locomotives I can run for the time period is also a restriction.

I was just wondering what everyone thought and your opinions on what I should model. The 1950s are cool, but the lack of content is killing me, plus the limitation of what locomotives I can run for the time period is also a restriction.

If one option is causing you some grief, run with the other option...
(why should you have sleepless nights worrying about the fact that there isn't a lot of suitable 1950's content). I'd run with what's going to give you more ZZZZZZZ's :sleep: :hehe:
Cheers, Mac...

Hello Jadebullet,

I feel your pain with regard to '50s content, but don't think abandoning the idea of a 50's era project is the answer. This was the high water mark of railroading in the US and every element of railroading, from elite passenger trains to single carloadings to rudimentary intermodal (TOFC) were present.

Please consider pressing on with what you have. There is a fair amount of stuff on the DLS that can be used. There are some pretty decent locomotives already, especially if you fudge a little and keep steam alive, and lot of structures that would work. Big gaps exist, though, in vehicles and some infrastructure. More early diesel and some rolling stock is missing as well. As far as the gaps are concerned, if the content creators among us can be convinced there is interest, they might be convinced to fill them. That is what I intend, and eventually I hope to create some content of my own.

Abandonment never pays off. IMHO you should do the best you can and keep going.

Keep going.

Bernie

I will be modeling the Canal period 1790-1815, as well as the 1920's, and also will have SD90's...but I will keep them separate in operating sessions...especially in screenshots.:cool: I usually don't download a modern looking building...but instead try to keep the old time look & feel by using less modern looking buildings and older looking assets.

You can always change things later on...or have 2 different versions of your route.

By the way, what is your type of track that you are using ?

Last edited:
I would say '58, but your concerns are valid. If you do 1980, you can still throw in some F-units for fun. If you have a stretch of PRR (still Penn Central then??) with catenary, Norfolksouthern37 has threatened to build some GG1's, which were hanging on by a thread. Also, it's only a 22 year difference between the 2 eras. I'm sure if you were planning on doing 2 eras, the changes wouldn't be a significant as one might think. So maybe 1980 first.

Cascade, I am using Trunda's track from the greenery site.

Okay guys, I have decided to make a few changes. I am thinking of staying with 1958 for the reasons stated, as well as the fact that I planned on using a pair of Pacifics, old school circus style intermodal, and Milk delivery service.

But I am also thinking of changing/adding another date at 1974. Not sure though.

By the way, the reason why I am contemplating it now is that I am not using traffic, but placing my cars individually as static models.

You could make a new region using older vehicles. There are probably enough for '58 available. You could also use some of the 40's cars as filler since in '58 there would still be a few on the road.

Could you build the 1950's route but use modern stuff where you had to, then if you can persuade enough creators to make 1950's stuff, swap that in as it becomes available? I am told that's rather easy in TS2009 (although you can even do it in TRS2004 using Trainzobjectz). Your layout would gradually go back in time. It would allow you to get on with the high-level aspects of building your route and give you a specific list of 1950's things you need.

By the time you have built the layout you might have even become good enough in gmax or Blender to make those items yourself and become independent of other creators.

I know, it's a crazy idea..

Sounds good. 1950s it is. That is a good point by the way Deane.

And Ed, you make a very convincing point.

The car issue shouldn't be too bad, with a few good assets that were missing, mainly trucks and trailers, being created, and the fact that 1940s era cars fit the time period too, and buildings shouldn't be that bad either.

The problem that I am having is with the current locomotive pool. Modeling the 1950s restricts me to certain locomotives, specifically the first generation diesels. Unfortunately right now, High quality first generation locomotives and Trainz don't seem to go together. There are some dated models that can be used as proxies until someone makes something better, but there is always the nagging feeling that there isn't going to be anything better. And of course there is the glaring gap in content with several locomotives. (Only one FM locomotive type, limited Baldwins, and limited ALCos) Okay, enough ranting for now. I know there is the build it yourself if you aren't satisfied argument, but I really do not expect to have the skills at Gmax to build a locomotive to any real quality for quite some time.

But there is hope. I have noticed that Cozmo is creating an SD9, and that RRmods is thinking about getting into ALCOs, so there is probably some hope for the first generation diesel. I think that I will hold on and stick with the 1950s era. At least I have some high quality F7s to populate my route in the meantime.

I'm not up to making locos myself yet and certainly no expert, so I'm curious to know what was distinctive about the 1950's locos? Did they have fins like all your cars did? :hehe:

LoL, no, but that would look interesting.(though there is that Aerotrain)

What is distinctive about the 1950s locomotives is that they were either Cab units, like the F7, end cab switchers, like the NW2, or the different forms of Road unit. The EMDs had the GP7 and GP9, as well as the SD7 and SD9. It was in 1950s that the low short hood began to be implemented, so the early EMD road units had high short hoods, and also tended to be run long hood forward.

There were also the very curvy ALCos, such as the RS3, which had a very distinctive style. Steam engine maker, Baldwin, was also trying to get into the diesel market, but would eventually fail not soon after the 1950s. The Baldwins had a very industrial look to them. It was also during this time that Fairbanks Morse was building locomotives, such as the Trainmaster. These locomotives were also pretty distinctive.

Well, I just did a quick check on the DLS, I counted;

27 NW2's
147 GP7's
111 RS3's
185 GP9's
1 Trainmaster
63 ALCO's of various types
2 Baldwins (but they are steam)

Is that not enough?

The NW2 that is available is pretty good. I cannot complain. There is only one NW2 though, in Conrail paint. The rest are reskins of an SW9 by CincySouthernRwy.

The GP7s are very dated. They are in serious need of an update.
jadebullet_20090615_0000-1.jpg

The floating airtanks, lack of handrails, and bad trucks, wouldn't be that bad(I fixed the trucks by the way by replacing them with NS37s) but the mapping is pretty bad. The nose and rear are on the same map, so it is pretty restrictive in the reskinning department.

The RS3s are alright, but suffer from the same mapping issue as the GP7s, and while being pretty good, are pretty dated. All of the older ALCos are in the same boat, and in serious need of being updated.

The GP9s are about as good as the RS3s, but still in need of an update.

There are more Trainmasters than just one, and they are pretty good. The engine sound is a bit odd at times, but I do enjoy them.

There are more Baldwin diesels, but they are a bit dated, and there is quite a gap in what is available, as is with ALCo and early GE.

........ the mapping is pretty bad. The nose and rear are on the same map, so it is pretty restrictive in the reskinning department.

I wouldn't disagree with any of your comments on the quality of the available models (as I wouldn't know) and obviously there is nothing you can do about the mesh issues.

But if by "bad mapping" and "restrictive for re-skinning", you mean low resolution, you can overcome this by substituting a bigger image as long as it has the same width:height ratio as the original. It will still map OK assuming all the bits on the image have the same spatial relationship as in the original.

It isn't any problem with the resolution. It is that the front of the locomotive, and the rear of the locomotive are mapped to the same spot on the texture, so they are essentially mirrored. What you do to the front, affects the back.

Back