mystery scene load

SHOPlanB

I'm perplexed. Completely. On my route, in just one particular area, I'm getting a scene load of 69.00% and higher. Here's the kicker. The only things there are a seasonal texture that is built in, and hills. At first I thought it might have been a bum asset, so I saved the route, leveled the small town that was there (leaving only the YARNish roadways) and checked. Still had the same problem, although it dropped a few percentage points (down to 65). I then thought that maybe I was pushing the envelope on the GPU because I had close by an extreme elevation drop (80 feet above 0 to -150 below zero. Raised the ground to a more realstic level, still having the same problem. Doubled over all the area to make sure there weren't any rogue textures that I had missed, nothing. I switch to grid mode, instantly it drops down to 5% scenery load. So now I'm stumped. Anybody have any ideas on why this one area is getting hammered so bad? Its basically hills. I can provide an off site link to photobucket to show it if need be.

In surveyor, main menu, options, developer settings. Tick the show stats in surveyor. Go back to the area and note the kuid with the worst buffer count. That should be the problem asset.

What video card are you using?

I had a similar issue caused by a setting on my ATI card. Leave the AA settings Filter to Standard. Edge Detect killed the performance on me. Like you I spent days searching for the worst hitters on a particular baseboard. I even contemplated removing the section and starting again. Then I did some poking around on my V/C and discovered that setting for AA. That fixed it.

John

In surveyor, main menu, options, developer settings. Tick the show stats in surveyor. Go back to the area and note the kuid with the worst buffer count. That should be the problem asset.

This was the culprit. But surprisingly, the asset wasn't even on the baseboard. It was about 2-3 baseboards over. Oo Nuked it, and instant clear up.

What was the culprit? Let us know so we can all stay clear of it.

:wave:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Deano5.

It was a built in truss bridge. Only thing I can think is it didn't like having to render a 1/2 mile + bridge. I nuked it, re laid different bridge, and cut it the new bridges up into smaller sections. Cleared it right up.

Shane, I'm not 100% sure it was the bridge now. I turned down some setting in the game, and there was again, a huge improvement. And I know that Ben Dorsey did the bridge, and I'll be willing to go out on a limb and say I don't think he'd release high poly content. I think it was a combo of having draw distance set at 3500, and high fog visibility.

Back