Stuck at load when merging modules of 1 MB or larger file size

That's good news but I would replace the track with something else because it sounds like the track you are using is corrupted somehow on the route. You may want to download the track again or reinstall it from CDPs if you want to use it again.

That's good news but I would replace the track with something else because it sounds like the track you are using is corrupted somehow on the route. You may want to download the track again or reinstall it from CDPs if you want to use it again.
The track in question is Trainboi1's SG 100lb ASCE grey ballast.

Do you have any recommendations for something close to that track set that I can replace it with? Cause I'm gonna need to replace the track on the other modules if I want things to match up.

Though I'm pretty sure that what's going on here is that my system, for whatever reason, doesn't like trying to merge routes with "complex" track work, and all I can do is sand it down as best as I can and handicap my self in future projects.

If by disk space, you mean the space left on the hard drive I have 19 installed on, then I have 1.34 TB or 1.80 TB left.

As for memory, I've got 16.0 GB of installed memory. However, if you're talking about virtual memory, I haven't got a clue how much I have...
To merge routes, you must have at least 32GB or higher of memory/ram installed.

I ran into a similar issue having only 24GB of memory/ram! So, I upgraded. Trainz is evolving and we got to have more memory/ram installed for merging larger routes ;)

The track in question is Trainboi1's SG 100lb ASCE grey ballast.

Do you have any recommendations for something close to that track set that I can replace it with? Cause I'm gonna need to replace the track on the other modules if I want things to match up.

Though I'm pretty sure that what's going on here is that my system, for whatever reason, doesn't like trying to merge routes with "complex" track work, and all I can do is sand it down as best as I can and handicap my self in future projects.
Take a look at the RXTX track from Jointed Rail. It's awesome and looks very similar. You can always download Trainboi's track again.

It's very probably memory related. Increase your virtual memory a bit more and see if that works. It's found under System and then the Advanced tab then performance. Make the max and min the same size and don't let Windows manage it. If you have a second hard drive, put a second page file on that drive. It has to be an internal drive and not a USB connected external drive. When you get more RAM, increase the size of the page file accordingly to ensure there's plenty of wiggle room for merging, etc.

Take a look at the RXTX track from Jointed Rail. It's awesome and looks very similar. You can always download Trainboi's track again.

It's very probably memory related. Increase your virtual memory a bit more and see if that works. It's found under System and then the Advanced tab then performance. Make the max and min the same size and don't let Windows manage it. If you have a second hard drive, put a second page file on that drive. It has to be an internal drive and not a USB connected external drive. When you get more RAM, increase the size of the page file accordingly to ensure there's plenty of wiggle room for merging, etc.
Is the RXTX system on the DLS by chance? One idea for this project was only to use content that was available on the DLS, so new users wouldn't have to play hunt the kuid and future-proof the modules as well.

As for my Virtual memory, I don't think I can ratchet it up any further. It's sitting at 48000 right now, and I'm not sure how much more you can squeeze out of 16.0GB. So It looks like I'm gonna have to pick up more RAM after Christmas.

All the same, Thank y'all for putting up with all my constant badgering. ^^;

To merge routes, you must have at least 32GB or higher of memory/ram installed.
I must disagree. I have only 16GB of physical RAM on all of my systems and have never had an issue merging routes, including large ones. However, virtual RAM is important for merging the larger routes, the more you allocate in your Windows system the faster and better it will be.

As for my Virtual memory, I don't think I can ratchet it up any further. It's sitting at 48000 right now, and I'm not sure how much more you can squeeze out of 16.0GB. So It looks like I'm gonna have to pick up more RAM after Christmas.
Virtual RAM is located on your hard disk drive and not in your system on board RAM. My current VRAM is set at 24000MB and this has not been an issue.

Virtual RAM is located on your hard disk drive and not in your system on board RAM. My current VRAM is set at 24000MB and this has not been an issue.
I must disagree. I have only 16GB of physical RAM on all of my systems and have never had an issue merging routes, including large ones. However, virtual RAM is important for merging the larger routes, the more you allocate in your Windows system the faster and better it will be.
If Virtual RAM is the be-all and end-all of merging, how high can I crank it before my rig considers putting a loaded 357 mag to its metaphorical head?

For 64 GB RAM, I have a 256 GB page file. I have the space inside my case for additional hard disks and have one setup strictly for that and temporary files.

For 64 GB RAM, I have a 256 GB page file. I have the space inside my case for additional hard disks and have one setup strictly for that and temporary files.
So if i've only got 16 GB of RAM, then I can't go any higher than 48000 with my virtual memory?

Because I'm getting mixed signals between you and Pware's replies.

So if i've only got 16 GB of RAM, then I can't go any higher than 48000 with my virtual memory?

Because I'm getting mixed signals between you and Pware's replies.
The only upper limit on the size of your Virtual RAM (or Paging File) that I am aware of is your available hard disk storage space. JCitron has, if I am reading him correctly, an entire HD devoted to just the VRAM and temporary files.

The only upper limit on the size of your Virtual RAM (or Paging File) that I am aware of is your available hard disk storage space. JCitron has, if I am reading him correctly, an entire HD devoted to just the VRAM and temporary files.
In that case, the drive I have 19 installed under is 1.81TB in size, with 1.29TB of space left. So, how high can I crank my VRAM?

Last edited:
In that case, the drive I have 19 installed under is 1.81TB in size, with 1.29TB of space left. So, how high can I crank my VRAM?
Increasing the Page (VRAM) size will naturally reduce the space available for other applications, including temporary files, so that is a decision that only you can make.

1TB = 1 000 000MB

You are currently using about 600 000MB of space for your operating system, applications and their data (including temp files). Your current VRAM size is 48 000MB. I suspect you could easily crank your VRAM up to 100 000MB which is about 5 times what I have and probably more than I need. But ultimately you will need to be the judge of your needs and requirements.

Suggestions only not based on any knowledge of your system, applications and other details.

I suggested 32GBs because I tried merging routes from grazlash, PGibbons, Footplatephil, tomtre and ntesdorf to complete the NSW southern main from 'Picton to Albury' which includes the Illawarra South Coast merged for the Moss Vale section. All with 24GB memory/ram and I was completely unsuccessful! When I upgraded to 32GB memory/ram, I now have a massive route to enjoy ;)

Increasing the Page (VRAM) size will naturally reduce the space available for other applications, including temporary files, so that is a decision that only you can make.

1TB = 1 000 000MB

You are currently using about 600 000MB of space for your operating system, applications and their data (including temp files). Your current VRAM size is 48 000MB. I suspect you could easily crank your VRAM up to 100 000MB which is about 5 times what I have and probably more than I need. But ultimately you will need to be the judge of your needs and requirements.

Suggestions only not based on any knowledge of your system, applications and other details.
It's late on my end, So I'll try this Hail Mary tomorrow and report back on my findings.

Ultimately, the best investment is both a larger hard drive, or possibly a second one where you can put all your Trainz data on so it won't eat up your main disk, and more RAM if you have 16 GB go for 32 GB or more if you can afford it and if your system can support it. Your motherboard may be limited by the number of DIMM slots, and you definitely don't want single DIMMs because that can cause performance issues.

Ultimately, the best investment is both a larger hard drive, or possibly a second one where you can put all your Trainz data on so it won't eat up your main disk, and more RAM if you have 16 GB go for 32 GB or more if you can afford it and if your system can support it. Your motherboard may be limited by the number of DIMM slots, and you definitely don't want single DIMMs because that can cause performance issues.
So, if increasing my VRAM one more time doesn't work, should I pick up some 32 GB RAM chips and another 1TB drive? I've got three drives right now, and I don't know if my tower can hold anymore. I'll also need to open the tower to see how many DIMM slots I have left.

C Drive: 476 GB with 298 GB left
D Drive: 1.81 TB with 1.29 TB left ---- Trainz installed here.
E Drive: 931 GB with 773 GB left.

So, if increasing my VRAM one more time doesn't work, should I pick up some 32 GB RAM chips and another 1TB drive? I've got three drives right now, and I don't know if my tower can hold anymore. I'll also need to open the tower to see how many DIMM slots I have left.

C Drive: 476 GB with 298 GB left
D Drive: 1.81 TB with 1.29 TB left ---- Trainz installed here.
E Drive: 931 GB with 773 GB left.
Yes, definitely increase your RAM. Why only 1 TB drives? 2 TB are inexpensive now. Put your Trainz data on a 2 TB drive and be done with it. You can probably do some drive clean up and optimization too. The Trainz drive can lose the contents of backup folder periodically along with clearing the cache/internet folder. I've seen Trainz backups eat up to 50 GB of space or more if I do a lot of route building, downloads, and repairs.

Back