Stuck at load when merging modules of 1 MB or larger file size

STLSF4003

So, I've been fiddling around with the old U-Make route-building system that ESO set up almost 20 years ago, as well as the add-ons that were made for that system. And for a while, I didn't have any issues merging the modules, and they would load within seconds.

It was only when the file size of the route reached 6.1 MB that I had an issue when I tried to merge a module called "UM E-W hump yard" by Bigbren.

The issue is that after hitting the button to merge that module with the route, what should have only taken seconds went on for over an hour before I had to do a task manager shut down of the game, as I had other things I needed to do.

My question is if this has happened to anyone else before, or is this somehow due to having built the Rig I'm running Trainz on myself as a first-time project?

First how much disk space left, and memory do you have installed in your system?

Merging takes a bit more disk space than the two routes do individually due to the temp files. If you're low on space, this can cause the process to stall. Increasing your page file helps too. I use the usual 3 x the physical RAM for my swap file and that made a big difference with the merging process.

Since you killed the process, you should run a DBR. When you open the route you were merging into, choose revert changes instead of use because the process may have corrupted the route.

First how much disk space left, and memory do you have installed in your system?

Merging takes a bit more disk space than the two routes do individually due to the temp files. If you're low on space, this can cause the process to stall. Increasing your page file helps too. I use the usual 3 x the physical RAM for my swap file and that made a big difference with the merging process.

Since you killed the process, you should run a DBR. When you open the route you were merging into, choose revert changes instead of use because the process may have corrupted the route.

If by disk space, you mean the space left on the hard drive I have 19 installed on, then I have 1.34 TB or 1.80 TB left.

As for memory, I've got 16.0 GB of installed memory. However, if you're talking about virtual memory, I haven't got a clue how much I have...

Is that the one I'm looking for?
Correct. It is recommended that you change this to at least the same as your available RAM size (or more if you have lots of empty HDD/SSD space available - for example 3x). So for a system with 16GB of RAM set it to 16000MB (or 48000MB)

Correct. It is recommended that you change this to at least the same as your available RAM size (or more if you have lots of empty HDD/SSD space available). So for a system with 16GB of RAM set it to 16000MB
Can I do that just for the drive I have TRS19 installed in, or do I have to do this for the two other hard drives I've also got on my system?

Can I do that just for the drive I have TRS19 installed in, or do I have to do this for the two other hard drives I've also got on my system?
I have never considered that. I have only ever set the Virtual Memory size just once regardless of how many drives I have had on my system (I currently have 3) and I suspect that you can only set one Virtual Memory - it does say "Total paging file size for all drives:"

For each drive you can define the size of a pagefile (or none). Windows uses the conbined size of all defined pagefiles.

Peter

For each drive you can define the size of a pagefile (or none). Windows uses the conbined size of all defined pagefiles.
Just curious, how do you define each drive individually? The Windows Settings --> Paging File Size does not specify a drive.

Both links at post #4 show the option to select a drive. For Win10 see the picture below step 12. For Win11 the picture is below step 13. My virtual memory is on 2 drives, each with a 32768MB pagefile, for a total of 65536MB virtual memory.

Peter

I have never considered that. I have only ever set the Virtual Memory size just once regardless of how many drives I have had on my system (I currently have 3) and I suspect that you can only set one Virtual Memory - it does say "Total paging file size for all drives:"
Right, I put in 16000 for the Initial size; what do I put in the Maximum size below that?

Put the same for max and minimum.

For 16 GB you want to put in 48000 for 48 3 x times your installed RAM if you have 16 GB installed.

Welp, I was pretty sure that I did everything right, but I tried to merge that one module again, and it's going on 13 minutes since I hit the merge button...

Not sure what I missed.

Here's how much virtual memory it says I have now:
virt_mem_2_by_gh22_dgeyy1f-pre.jpg

And here's what I added:
virt_mem_by_gh22_dgeyym2-pre.jpg

Not yet. I'll nuke this process (which has been merging for about two hours now), Do a system restart then run a DBR.
CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to bring up Task Manager.
End task
Start up again and at the Launcher, run a DBR.

When you load your route, do a revert. DO NOT use changes.

CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to bring up Task Manager.
End task
Start up again and at the Launcher, run a DBR.

When you load your route, do a revert. DO NOT use changes.
Right, system restart completed, DBR run and route reverted.

I'm going to try this one more time. I'll update and let y'all know if it worked or not.

P.S. What is the optimum time for a nine-board, 1.6 MB module to merge with a 6.1 MB route

Last edited:
As a benchmark, I just did a trial run merging two of my largest routes - 65MB and 55MB (baseboard counts "huge") - and the process took less than one minute (including resolving a layer name conflict).

Back