GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

67af48d0402109ed0d414977e34e66f6.jpg

Sketchup isn't a great piece of software to be modeling for games in, especially your close-to-camera trains. The main reasons are that
a) Sketchup models are unnecessarily high poly. Sketchup adds many more polys where they aren't needed & doesn't optimize your models correctly.
b) You'll have to use another piece of software regardless to get your train working in Trainz. You'll have to open up your model into GMAX or Blender to add attachment points (you can also use Attachment Maker, but then that another thing to be loaded with your model making it harder on your system).
3) Rough Texture controls. Most models of trains these days for TRS/TANE include things like Normal Mapping and Spectral Mapping, both of which you cannot do in Sketchup. Most models also use Burned textures, another thing you cannot do in Sketchup. Not to mention the coarseness of Sketchup's mapping tools. With a full-fledged modeling software you can control precisely where a texture will be on the model, not so much in Sketchup. And finally sketchup doesn't allow multiple mapping. Every time you want to change how the mapping you have to make a new texture. A proper modeling software will allow you to map multiple parts of the mesh onto one texture map giving you much better texture optimization.

So in short unless you're making simple box buildings I would advise you to switch to using a better modeling software. Blender is free.

peter

Sketchup isn't a great piece of software to be modeling for games in, especially your close-to-camera trains. The main reasons are that

So in short unless you're making simple box buildings I would advise you to switch to using a better modeling software. Blender is free.

peter

I am aware of the downsides of Sketchup but I'm not a very good modeler so I choose to stick with it, I have tried Blender and I'm just not very good with it.

It's almost like calling people out on assumptions isn't really a good thing to do... Especially when it comes to people actually trying to make something like so many people here have preached about before. Ask about content, get told to make it yourself, get accused of stealing when you actually do make something from the same people causing trouble everywhere else. Sounds about par for the course at this point.

The texture issue is a valid concern, I will admit. Any time others' photographs are used it's generally a good idea to contact the person first in case they're very protective of their content (which by all means is fine).

All in all great show, really shows how far this forums has gone downhill, and not even because of the "issues" everyone was so upset and bothered about not too long ago.

It's almost like calling people out on assumptions isn't really a good thing to do... Especially when it comes to people actually trying to make something like so many people here have preached about before. Ask about content, get told to make it yourself, get accused of stealing when you actually do make something from the same people causing trouble everywhere else. Sounds about par for the course at this point.

The texture issue is a valid concern, I will admit. Any time others' photographs are used it's generally a good idea to contact the person first in case they're very protective of their content (which by all means is fine).

All in all great show, really shows how far this forums has gone downhill, and not even because of the "issues" everyone was so upset and bothered about not too long ago.

Having been around here a long time, I think part of the reason we are seeing more of the discussion about the legal side of content creation is that we have more content creators making stuff. Many of whom seem to be of a younger generation and have a more entitled sense of the world. Whereas before most creators were older members (in age, not time hanging around the community) were familiar with the legal aspect of creating & distributing artwork, this younger crowd are less in tune with it. I think there is a variety of reasons, chiefly among which is not that these young folks don't know/care and the young folks of before did; but more that 3D modeling & reskining has become much more accessible to people of all ages.

Ok I'll get off my soap box.

And as a moderator, lets return this thread to posting pictures of 3D models. I'd post one, but don't have anything offhand to show at the moment.

peter

Anyone think my WIP cylindrical hopper has too many faces on the curved edges? It crossed my mind, but I figure it will be reduced with LOD changes.

Open to any comments, I'm a Blender newbie.

Oh my gooses a legitimate C40-8M
Oh my gosh! a guy that cant let something go!
But anywho.... Talks of Gmax and blender. anyone has a good leaner how to's videos for them? One that a autistic man like myself can easier get the jist of using a 3D Modal program.

Have you tried searching the internet? There are plenty of videos that'll teach you good techniques for both blender and 3ds max. Pretty much everything I use to model what I do has a tutorial on it somewhere. Whether it's mapping, making a hose cluster, animating bogies, adding materials, setting up materials for exporting, (that would be in the Trainz wiki btw), exporting, using the lathe tool, using the reset x forms tool, making cuts with probolean, editing vertices, faces, using the snaps tool, using the protractor tool, using the line tool, etc, etc, etc. All you gotta do is search it up. There's a variety of tutorials everywhere. :)

If your looking for help videos on Gmax your wasting your time and the few who stell use it wont help or will I your better off looking on youtube Gmax is pain to work with go with a blander. A friend of mine can help you get started PM me and I'll give you his info he knows his stuff.

Back