Have you ever had a person who has put you down for loving Trainz/Trains?

Have I been made fun of because I like trains?

Yes I have...

It bothered me at first (Age 8), but over time I learned to ignore it.

Life is to short to worry about what others think of you. It will eventually control you and damage or ruin you. Be stronger than than that.

Me? I went to college, joined the Navy, learned electronics, sailed the Atlantic and Mediterranean Oceans. I have been to Italy, France, Spain, Morocco, Israel, Turkey, Portugal, Malta, Sicily, and Greece. I lived in Italy and France for awhile each. I am married and have a family. I work in Commercial Satellite Communications making good money..and I still love Trains.

Those who made fun of me? The best example is the biggest jock in the graduating class who thought he was going to break me is in jail for dealing drugs.

Could I have accomplished all of this if I sat at home and worried about what others thought of me? NO.

In short, be you. I makes those who wish to control you angry and shows others that you aren't a puppet to be controlled.

Physically fit: Nope
Non-colorblind: yup, that is a requirement.
College educated: Nope

With the class one’s yes you do have to be physically fit. There is a strength test and during the field training you have to be able to remove and install an 80 lb. knuckle. I’ve also seen students fail in field training just because they couldn’t hang on to a freight car (another part of field training/testing) for the required amount of time.These days the class one’s also prefer college education.

One of the biggest problems I experienced when I was a new hire instructor was just getting students that could pass the drug screen and clean driving record.

And work nights and days, and your going to be away from home a lot....... But thats for getting a job with Union Pacific...... I dont know much about schedules and etc. with others....

I’ve worked for three class railroads since the early 1990’s and extra board life is no different with them then it is with UP.

Railroads will not exist in the near future because of new technology

Anyone that says that, has no clue about Agenda 21, or any of the US laws and ordinances that have came about because of it. If this plan goes fully into affect, then everything will be built around rail, and rail will be the only way to transport across country. We can see this today with intermodal replacing a vast amount of trucks for long distance goods transportation.

Anyone that says that, has no clue about Agenda 21, or any of the US laws and ordinances that have came about because of it. If this plan goes fully into affect, then everything will be built around rail, and rail will be the only way to transport across country. We can see this today with intermodal replacing a vast amount of trucks for long distance goods transportation.[/COLOR]

Railroads will most likely replace truck driving. But what in the heck is Agenda 21? A plot to de-populate America? And as for the subject of this thread, my father hates it when I say anything that is train related. He's even gone as far as saying model railroading is a waste of time energy and money.

Nah..dont let others bother you! Aparently my friends like killing one another over the Net (cod) than working as a team. Trainz is a creativity and teamwork game.
Far better than anything.

I find in this Trains(Trainz) Hobby we have..It is the people who does not know about Trains or Doesn't care or Doesn't want to know about trains..I find these kind of people also the ones that stand in the way of progress..Particularly RR Progress..I personnly believe Progress in the rest of the country is Hinged on RR..

I find in this Trains(Trainz) Hobby we have..It is the people who does not know about Trains or Doesn't care or Doesn't want to know about trains..I find these kind of people also the ones that stand in the way of progress..Particularly RR Progress..I personnly believe Progress in the rest of the country is Hinged on RR..
I agree 100%

If the RR's go on strike, the Country loses millions per day, and the Military is prepared to step in, to run the RR's inside of a few days, if a RR strike was prolonged.

During the Ronald Reagan administration, this almost came true.

As far as Agenda 21, it dates back to the 1970's, and the Summit it took place in 1992, and from what I understand, it is a safeguard contingency plan to be put in place if "ALL" else fails, due to cataclysm (such as BCC: worldwide Honey Bee Colony Collapse): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVuFvxjBbig

Last edited:
I have never met or seen a child who does not get excited about trains, or at the prospect of going on a train trip, or playing with a train set or train simulator - even girls.
Those who shoot trains down know nothing, have seen nothing and experienced nothing about trains, and have lost out on a lot in their childhood.
I have worked on steam, diesel, electric and hydraulic locomotives and trucks and coaches for 38 years and I have had opportunity to operate all of them.
I can't for the life of me understand how anyone can not like trains and shoot down anyone who works in or on trains or on any RR.It must be jealousy or just plain ignorance.
Every person who walks past my PC when I am playing trainz stops , watches, comments and likes what they hear and see.
We should not worry one bit or waste any time thinking about anyone who has negative comments and sneery remarks about trains, what dreary lives they must live.

If the RR's go on strike, the Country loses millions per day, and the Military is prepared to step in, to run the RR's inside of a few days, if a RR strike was prolonged.

During the Ronald Reagan administration, this almost came true.

As far as Agenda 21, it dates back to the 1970's, and the Summit it took place in 1992, and from what I understand, it is a safeguard contingency plan to be put in place if "ALL" else fails, due to cataclysm (such as BCC: worldwide Honey Bee Colony Collapse): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVuFvxjBbig

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agenda_21

I agree 100%

All it takes is a trip to Europe to see how well trains can move people around, if the system is designed correctly. I was almost amazed to see a train that was supposed to arrive at a station at 3:23, pull into the station at 3:22. In the US, your lucky if the train arrives on the day it is due. ;). We need to start investing in high speed rail and better passenger service in the US.

I was almost amazed to see a train that was supposed to arrive at a station at 3:23, pull into the station at 3:22. In the US, your lucky if the train arrives on the day it is due.

Nothing out of the ordinary for trains going in and out of Penn Station and Grand Central terminal in New York.

Nothing out of the ordinary for trains going in and out of Penn Station and Grand Central terminal in New York.

I grew up there and am aware of that, but if you travel away from the Northeast Corridor, it goes quickly downhill from there.

I have to laugh when people say that "trains are stupid".
First, I ask what their proof is, and that if they have a good enough argument, then we might see eye to eye. Then, they usually follow up with something like: "Trains haven't really done anything for the country."
Oh really? Railroads have done many things for the us, and continue to do so. Some examples: Helped the Union win the Civil War by transporting troops and supplies quickly to strategic points. In WWII, trains carried 98% of the troops, and 95% of the supplies, tanks, etc... (freight) to both coasts. During the war, hitler saw US railroads as so much of a threat that he sent spies to blow up strategic railroad points such as the Altoona Works, and the Horseshoe Curve. Railroads somewhat helped us get out of the Great Depression by starting the streamlining age in the late 30's, 40's, and 50's. Today, railroads provide a more economical way to transport freight, as well as being a more "green" way to do it.
After I provide these facts, the person who said railroads are "stupid" looks at me, dumbfounded, and tries to salvage his response. I usually follow up by saying: OK, lets go to your "hobbies", and ask the same question. What have sports done for the US. Or video games, did they ever do anything? You tell me? Thats what you have to do. Keep a level head, and keep the facts coming. Eventually, the other guy's argument caves in on itself because it is so poorly constructed.

I live in Holland , our trainz riding pretty well on time but , when it's winter an there is snow most of the trains are not driving couse of the junctions are frozen .I'm speaking of 2 till 5 degrees below zero.
When it's fall there is a chance that trains are not running couse of rotten leaves are lying on the track.When it's storms and trees are lying on the track : problems (offcourse)
We have a country with a busy railtrack and we are a small country so when anything small happens trains are not running .

It's very often that some trains not running .
The main couse is that we have a train org. for passengers and goods and seperate a comp. for trackmaintenens.

Last edited:
In the early 1800's, there was a Theory that Railroads were a highly dangerous invention, that would explode, and maim citizens, and anti-railroad propaganda groups were protesting, calling for the outlaw of such evil machines: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma...0355o1_500.jpg

During the Canal Period, canal companies helped fuel the anti-railroad propaganda frenzy. No DUH ! They were going to be put out of business !

To quell the public outrage, the Baltimore & Ohio railroad announced its unveiling of its safe locomotive. Hundreds of people showed up to watch the spectacular event ! The drum roll started, the band played, as the tarp was pulled off, and there spectators were awed by the sight of a boxcar like, open framed flatcar, that had a horse, tethered on a stationary treadmill inside the contraption. The monstrosity began to move at a slow speed, as the horse complacently plodded along, on the treadmill, inside the traincar. Then suddenly a crash, klunk, as gears jammed and belt pulleys broke, and the whole shebang came to a screeching halt, in under the distance of a couple hundred feet. How embarr-asking !

Thadeus Stevenson wanted to have his favorite rocking chair mounted to a RR flatcar, so that he could feel the wind rushing through his hair, and enjoy the total 360 degree ambiance, and splendor of riding on a train, with a totally unobstructed view of the scenery. He was ridiculed (probably whilst inside a tavern), and was flatly turned down by the RR, as being a nutcase.

Ben Franklin had a theory of electricity. He hired another person to fly his kite during an electrical storm, and he sat back and watched from the safety of his porch. He also had the oddball theory, that warshing down with lye soap, and letting it dry on the skin, and sitting up in the barn loft on bales of hay, taking an "air bath", au naturel, while reading Walt Whitman poems, was beneficially healthy ! He also wanted the "Turkey" to be the symbol on US currency, and the US national flag ! He invented the wagon wheel intersection, and traffic circle, we all know how successful that theory turned out !

James Madison stood on the courthouse steps in Joplin MO, and ate a bushel of Red Death Peach's (Tomatoes). The entire town turned out to see his demise, but were severly disappointed, and the rumor that tomatoes were poisonious, was finally put to death.

Before modern roads, all towns in the US were founded because a RR ran through (or close by). At one time there wasn't a place farther than 15 miles from a RR track.

The second most written about topic is about RR's, the first most written about topic is the US Civil War.

The most telephone pole trees, are grown in Georgia and Alabama (toothpick twees are grown in Mississippi) ... and Texas is the worlds largest rice producer.

The Philadelphia Match Company was in Bellefonte PA, and is one source of Dannon Water Co (Big Spring).

The Slinky is made in Hollidaysburg PA, and was a metal lathe chip mistake, made into a toy ... as was Silly Putty.

Ice is a food ! And is America's only renewable natural resource (I know the secret recipe: Fill pans with water ... apply cold ... and serve).

Last edited:
I grew up there and am aware of that, but if you travel away from the Northeast Corridor, it goes quickly downhill from there.

Just like in Europe, it’s the difference between long distance passenger trains that have to share the same tracks with freight trains or short distance commuter trains operating over territory dedicated for that service.

There are both train people and non train people. When I try to explain something to a non train person, they typically say "what ever" and walk away. At least I tried to educate them. Sort of reminds me of liberals and conservatives.
I sure do agree on that! It's a cryin' shame, on what the Liberals are missing in life..... Trainzs! -Robert- :p:hehe:

The reason why people poo poo train lovers, is because the associate it with what they consider an immature hobby of model choo choo trains under the Christmas tree.

They just don't know, nor do they even care, where the majority of products come from, and how they are shipped, as they take it for granted that things automaticly appear on the store shevles by magic, or arrive by truck ... and the majority of people do not like railroads

Back