Have you ever had a person who has put you down for loving Trainz/Trains?

BDP

Searchlight Studios
:'(I was wondering if anybody has the same problem as me like Just today one of my friends describes a railroader as a "Dirty, grungy, person, with no life or soul" He went as far to say" Railroads will not exist in the near future because of new technology and then he said That if I work for the RR that I will be unsuccessful at life":':)mop: I just feel like every time I talk about Trainz/trains I am being put down. Reguards, BDP

Strangely enough, people say similar things to me when I mention Trainz. They ask me if I have better things to do.

Shane

I have been put down too, even by my Mother.

What your friend said should just be forgotten, and you might want to re-consider whether he's your friend or not.

It's also good to limit how much you talk about trains around your friends, I've had to do the same thing. Leave the train talk for the forums, model railway clubs, tourist railways and places like that where nobody will get hurt for loving trains.

Kieran.

What your friend said should just be forgotten, and you might want to re-consider whether he's your friend or not.

It's also good to limit how much you talk about trains around your friends, I've had to do the same thing. Leave the train talk for the forums, model railway clubs, tourist railways and places like that where nobody will get hurt for loving trains.

Kieran.
I feel really sorry for you, teased by your own mother. But Yea I don't do it all the time but just 25% out of 100% I talk trains at school

I'm 13 years old and I have the same problem. Where I'm from, you can't even look at a train without being teased. And Kieran, I can relate. My mother would rather be play baseball like I used to rather than pursuing my dream of being a railroader. She thinks I am lazy because I spend my time doing what I love. I only have one friend that I can talk to in public about trains. What I have learned is if your "friends" dont support you, they are not truly your friend.

Last edited:
Despite being Autistic i rarely talk about trains/trainz at school no one has ever put me down. Don't let get to you just ignore it.

To be a real RR employee one must be physicly fit, and have 20/20 vision, non-color blind, with a college education.

To be an engineer you would need to work odd hours, always on call, 24/7/365, be able to permanently relocate to far away locations, inside of 5 days. Very bad for family life and hard on relationships.

Working in a loco/car shop, car repairman, or wreck crew, or MOW crew might require less educational background.

But with 2,000 people all applying for 2 jobs, your chances of being hired will be slim.

RR's of the future will be scaled back even more than today, with one man crews, and remote control.

While Trainz and RR are fun ... one should not be totally absorbed into the hobby and dream ... as studies, homework, grades and graduation from school will be effected. Canceling out a successful college education.

You should not put all your eggs in one basket ... as the job may not exist, or pan out for you in the future.

So spread our life around, and do multiple things besides Trainz and RR dreaming, especially daydreaming.

Just in case a RR job never works out for you ... prepare alternate plans.

Last edited:
I think your problem is that you say you like trains to your "friends" you should describe.
it as a Railway Simulator which involves surveying, route building and design, 3D art and animation, computer programming and logistics.
All of these skills will serve you quite well in later life.

Ken

And it will do little to impress the ladies, on your online dating application, or incessant train talk, on the first date.

Last edited:
Went though the same kind of stuff with flying real planes and flight simming. People just don't get it, so I don't bother to mention it except to someone I think might be interested.

If you like the hobby, that's all that matters. Other than my wife and father in law, nobody knows I'm "playing" with trains. The wife loves to look at the scenery I'm making, that makes me feel good, because she's an artist. The father in law is a real train
lover, I gave him a copy of TS12. When he visits, I have to let him drive that dang modern stuff that's built into the sim. If I was looking for a lady, I would probably be too embarrassed to mention I was a trainz nut.

Cheers...Rick

I'm 13 years old and I have the same problem. Where I'm from, you can't even look at a train without being teased. And Kieran, I can relate. My mother would rather be play baseball like I used to rather than pursuing my dream of being a railroader. She thinks I am lazy because I spend my time doing what I love. I only have one friend that I can talk to in public about trains. What I have learned is if your "friends" dont support you, they are not truly your friend.

Im 13 and get the same thing but I do play baseball. But I have many friends who are not into them but still think they are kinda cool when they see my models

Kieran.

Thats not correct at all. For example, i talk with my friends about trains, as trains are familiarizated with cars (both uses diesel, both have horsepower engines, both are driven by people, and both go on tracks), and many of my friends talks about cars. But you need to know how much you can say, for example, how Horsepower moves long trains, or how its the work of a train employee/train driver, but not to say, "i like this, this and this train too" or "you should like trains, or know more about them". Altough we are not less people, we are many and many every day, and railfanning, train talk and model trains attracts people so we fill the list of train buddies. And yeah, you cant take too much trainz or you wont get it out of your head

To be a real RR employee one must be physicly fit, and have 20/20 vision, non-color blind, with a college education.

To be an engineer you would need to work odd hours, always on call, 24/7/365, be able to permanently relocate to far away locations, inside of 5 days. Very bad for family life and hard on relationships.

Working in a loco/car shop, car repairman, or wreck crew, or MOW crew might require less educational background.

But with 2,000 people all applying for 2 jobs, your chances of being hired will be slim.

RR's of the future will be scaled back even more than today, with one man crews, and remote control.

While Trainz and RR are fun ... one should not be totally absorbed into the hobby and dream ... as studies, homework, grades and graduation from school will be effected. Canceling out a successful college education.

You should not put all your eggs in one basket ... as the job may not exist, or pan out for you in the future.

So spread our life around, and do multiple things besides Trainz and RR dreaming, especially daydreaming.

Just in case a RR job never works out for you ... prepare alternate plans.

And if you have amblyopia in one eye, but the other is perfect? Can you be hired for at least RR employee?
I talked with a friend of the US that is driver and he told me that if you are able to see at 100 meters, you are in.
And yes, if the train world doesnt come suitable to you, search other hobbys or dreams as you said CascadeRailroad. I recommend you guys to play a sport, it helped me too much, and find something in you know that will help you and the world in a future. To be train driver its too easy out of here, because only, only in spain, the train driver career costs "20000€", "30000$" to be exactly, and then you need to be hired in a company
Ah and if you like trains, is because someone in your family liked them before, it happened to me, as my mother grandpa was railworker, in the extint railway of my village, a narrow gauge steam train of cereal and animal transport, so there i know why i like trains, and im proud of it

Greetings

Last edited:
BDP - Did your friend happen to mention what that "new technology" would be? I could use a really good investment right now.:D

Thats not correct at all.
That's simply a matter of opintion.

Ah and if you like trains, is because someone in your family liked them before, it happened to me, as my mother grandpa was railworker, in the extint railway of my village, a narrow gauge steam train of cereal and animal transport, so there i know why i like trains, and im proud of it
Not the case here. Nobody in my family has anything or has had anything do do with trains. Not even railfanning. I still to this day have absolutely no clue what started it all.

And I'm proud of being the first. :cool:

Kieran.

BDP ,

I have the same problem too and i'm autistic too although i'm 60 years old .I have PDD-NOS .
I hear also very often " do you still play with your little trainz" ?
They don't have any idea what Trainz is and how complicated .I'm learning still after 10 years playing with Trainz.
And autistic ? Many famous people were autistic , i hope you know them : V.Gogh (painter) - Einstein , a very famous professor.

So , stand above it and play The Game

Just enjoy what you like doing, don't worry about other peoples opinion, there are so many different hobbies and sports out there no one likes them all.
Remember individuality is what makes this world interesting, if we all were the same it would get pretty boring.:)

If you like the hobby, that's all that matters. Other than my wife and father in law, nobody knows I'm "playing" with trains. The wife loves to look at the scenery I'm making, that makes me feel good, because she's an artist. The father in law is a real train
lover, I gave him a copy of TS12. When he visits, I have to let him drive that dang modern stuff that's built into the sim. If I was looking for a lady, I would probably be too embarrassed to mention I was a trainz nut.

Cheers...Rick

Well said and like in mother nature do not (always)necessarily follow the herd as the leader might be one of those like in real politics and haven many followers for reasons unknown to trainzers. Train lovers are the most normal people hobby lovers like sailors nooo not like soccer fans. It is what you feel feels good is what matters.

Rick very nice you gave your in law TS12 the best way to connect!

Roy:cool:

Back