Please make it easier

dzien50

Hi All

First up, I have the greatest respect for many of the excellent creators that make wonderful items for us all to use, but why oh why do some of the use obscure and hard to find track when creating their layout.

Obviously track is so vital ( other missing assets one can often do without ) and there are so very many to choose from already on the DLS that would make things much easier when downloading a layout.

Creators please think on

Cheers
PJ

I agree with you for the most part. I prefer to have everything of a route in one place, preferably the DLS, but I can understand people not wanting that. For dependencies outside that one place, creators should leave a not in the route where to find them. Some do, some dont.

For you:
There are enough decent routes on the DLS that are complete (or at least have the track there) to ignore others. If you do run into a route you like but without track, you could always locally edit the config file of that route (just ctrl-shift-e and open it in notepad) and replace the kuid of the missing track by a build-in track.

large routes would be hard to retrack. I just think track is so vital it should come from the DLS or if not a very good simple direct link to where it can be found but really much better if on the DLS.

As I said other missing assets like scenery/buildings etc are not a problem as you can do without them or easily replace them.

For example the latest route on the DLS has no track, so I'm betting the track comes from an obscure easten european site, which even with translation is not easy to navigate.

Cheers
PJ

large routes would be hard to retrack.
Either I am strongly mistaking here, or I am misunderstanding you.
As far as I understand, it is as simple as replacing the kuid of the missing track by the kuid of a track you like in the config file of the route. That is about 20 seconds of work for each missing track. On large routes that might take as much as * hold your breath * 3-5 minutes.

Sounds doable for me. Have to admit, I only tested this with assets with track, but it should work the same for routes.

Edit:
Just in case you are misunderstanding this: You are not going to waste time retracking a route. You are only going to tell the route to use a different track type at the location of the missing track.

Last edited:
Replace assets works well and quickly for replacing track. Route size does not seem to matter. However, you do lose turnout frogs if you have them.

Last edited:
No clue what a frog point is, but the rest: Thats even easyer and in a lot of situations quicker if it works. Not sure how or if you can select assets for that replacement which aint there though.

It works very well. You just need to download and install the track(s) of choice from the DLS. There are countless varieties. In fact, I just discovered some new ones. Check out tsm track on the DLS.

Last edited:
"quote".For example the latest route on the DLS has no track, so I'm betting the track comes from an obscure easten european site, which even with translation is not easy to navigate.

If your refering to Central city its a 2 part deal have to DL the session version also which includes all the track etc on the dls...
For some reason with layers the track etc wont conform to the main route inwhich the BASE/SESS are added in terms of such....
whenever I tried to merge and save everything dissapears?but should work fine when both are downloaded and editable in surveyor etc....
sorry for inconvience in advance....

Dave =)

A couple of corrections to suggestions above:

1. If the track is not installed and you have the white dashed lines you can't use 'Replace Asset' because you can't select the missing track - you have nothing to put in the 'Replace' dialogue box.

2. Editing the track kuid in the route config's kuid table will have no effect whatsoever.

I use non-DLS track on most of my routes, but I do post a prominent link to wherever the track can be found....

Andy

I missed the point, that the track was missing from the route. I just thought that he wanted to change it to something else.

I agree with Andy on both counts, but I prefer to use track on the DLS if it's a route for release. If it's just for my own use, it wouldn't matter.

Hi All

Yes its the layouts that when you open them have the white lines showing for the " missing track " Its only my opinion of course but I can put up with most missing assets as if they are buildings/textures etc they can either be changed or ignored but I just feel that track is obviously so important to the layout that it should always be one thats reqadily available on the DLS.

As an aside I'm sure when creators put their work up on the DLS they want it to be used but having non existant track will I feel just put people like me off the layout which surely defeats the whole object of uploading it.

Again I wish to say that I have the utmost respect for all creators and hope my comments are taken in the spirit of trying to be helpful.

Cheers
PJ

Back