Tryng to run for the first time

Propeller

I just received my copy of Trainz Simulator 2010 Engineers Edition Delux.
First Day:
I’m trying to see if I can run Trainz 2010 on my Sony VAIO laptop. It’s running Windows 7 with DirectX11. The first problem was solved when I was able to download DirectX9. After re-starting the system the opening screen came up and updates were loaded. Before loading DirectX9 the updates would not even start.
Although I cannot see the DirectX9 in the system list (it still shows DirectX11) the updates now were able to be started. At this point I went to bed and sometime during the night everything finished.
Second Day:
Re-started the system. Opening screen of Trainz came up and I clicked “Start”. The next screen allowed me to get to the tutorials. I clicked on the first one. After a few minutes engine idling sound came on but the screen was confused with various geometric shapes. Able to turn on the horn. Shut program down.
Checked the video driver and found it was up to date.
Third Day:
Everything is the same as the second day. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Is it possible to run on this system? Any suggestions?

Regardless of what the specs on TRS 2010 may say you can not run it satisfactorily on a laptop. You should have a desktop machine with at least four gigs of ram and a good graphics card with no less beef than an ATI 5770 (my opinion).

Even with those specs I reverted back to TRS 2009 for regular use. I keep TRS 2010 around to test assets and such.

p.s. I hate Speed Treezs.:D

Some laptops can run 2010 to an acceptable degree, if you don't get too ambitious with large routes and loads of content.
Are you using DirectX or OpenGL? Switch to the other one and see if the graphics have improved.

Thanks for your comments Euphod.
My machine came with Windows 7 and DirectX11. I can see that listed when I run dxdiag.
Using the instructions from this forum I believe I was able to download DirectX9. Now, I cannot see DirectX9 when I run dxdiag only 11 but I believe it's there because the Trainz program got a lot further after I put 9 in.

If there is a way to see if Directx9 is actually there I would be apreciative of knowing how to verify it.

Some laptops can run 2010 to an acceptable degree, if you don't get too ambitious with large routes and loads of content.
Are you using DirectX or OpenGL? Switch to the other one and see if the graphics have improved.

If you follow the instructions from my sticky at the top of this forum, that will verify whether it is installed.

Shane

Actually the OpenGL is installation is more important than your version of DirectX, as CM3 requires it to work properly. Try this: Launch Trainz 2010, then choose Options, then display settings, then choose either DirectX or OpenGL, and tick the box that is not ticked now. Then try to run the game and see if it's better.

shaneturner12, Thankyou for putting up the sticky.

I believe I did follow your sticky and the resulting file name that I used is "directx_Jun2010_redist.exe" This is now on my desk top.

Is there something I can run to see if I actually installed DirectX9? If not, I'll re-run your sticky instructions for Windows Vista/7 systems.

Thanks again.

If you follow the instructions from my sticky at the top of this forum, that will verify whether it is installed.

Shane

THAT DID IT!!!

WOW!!! That did it! Thank you very much.

In "Display Settings" I found "OpenGL" clicked. So per your instruction I clicked "DirectX" and it worked. It is beautiful.

Gentlemen, again thank you very much.

Actually the OpenGL is installation is more important than your version of DirectX, as CM3 requires it to work properly. Try this: Launch Trainz 2010, then choose Options, then display settings, then choose either DirectX or OpenGL, and tick the box that is not ticked now. Then try to run the game and see if it's better.

Hi propeller,

Welcome to the Trainz Forums.

Euphod is an excellent source of help in the Trainz forums and it is good to see that his suggestion helped you get started.

One thing, you do not appear to have registered your copy of TS2010. You will need that to be able to download content through CM or the DLS.

If you have registered already, please disregard my suggestion to register.

Good luck and have fun with Trainz

Regards,

I'm currently working on a program for detecting the Directx version - when it is made, I will be adding a link to it on the DirectX updating thread.

Shane

Thank you.
I just registered my copy of Trainz 2010.

Hi propeller,

Welcome to the Trainz Forums.

Euphod is an excellent source of help in the Trainz forums and it is good to see that his suggestion helped you get started.

One thing, you do not appear to have registered your copy of TS2010. You will need that to be able to download content through CM or the DLS.

If you have registered already, please disregard my suggestion to register.

Good luck and have fun with Trainz

Regards,

Back