Re-naming Assets in CM?

Correct, but you're slightly missing my point. Yes sure, CM allows you to do all that, but only on one config at a time. That's not much use when you're facing gigabytes of assets. Moreover, Auran have no intention of enhancing CM in that direction because they say it would have too much potential as a weapon of mass destruction if mis-used. I personally don't think that's necessarily the case, it would be a matter of how it's designed. But if they don't want to help, then we of brave heart and hardy constitution will resort to 3rd-party utilities to do the job. We are accustomed to Auran's in-house utilities not being quite up to it.

Last edited:
I haven't had time to check out Asset X but I have used a program called InfoRapid Search and Replace to make changes to config.txt files in a batch. I open all the chosen assets for edit and then use the editing folder as the target for the InfoRapid program to make changes to the config.txt. It works really well when the change is something like modifying the value of a tag or removing a obsolete tag. I've processed several hundred assets at a time this way.

William

Same here, except I've been using BK ReplaceM as the editor. I've even had to resort to using good old Trainzobjectz when I want to get a better overall view of a batch of assets (after temporarily transfering them from TS2010's editing folder across to my old TRS2004 downloads folder). Pretty sad that I have to do that, but how else does one get an instant view of which assets have a 240x180 screenshot and what's in various tags such as 'kind' , 'category-class' or any other tag you nominate? CM3 sure doesn't tell me.

Frankly I don't think the brew crew ever spent any time trying to organise a large collection of assets in the way that users need to.

On the other hand, an asset name like "steam locomotive coaling tower" might be pretty unintelligible to one of the many Trainz users in non-English-speaking countries... This is an internationally used program, after all, and Auran doesn't have the staff Microsoft does to translate their error messages, etc. from unintelligible English to unintelligible Chinese, Sanskrit, etc.

--Lamont

Note that if you are running the multiplayer beta, local config changes will be reverted if that content is used in a multiplayer route. From that standpoint; using the Asset Details' and keywords functionality in CM may be preferable.

Curtis

Back