Railworks heads into Muti Player by Next year

BNSF650

*Got BN Payware*
For all you who want Muti Player rail simulator Railworks will have it by next year.. Enjoy

http://www.facebook.com/pages/RailSimulatorcom/258680273090?v=app_10339498918

Online Play:

We are please to announce the RailSimultor.com boffins have started work on online multiplayer technology. While still in its early stages multiplayer game elements are likely to include Driver, Fireman, Signalling operations with up to 6 players and VOIP. We expect to go to BETA testing at the end April

RailSimulator.com strives to bring ongoing technical advances to trainsimming, not only to reward our loyal fans for their on-going support but to push train-simming forward in terms of realism and enjoyment. With this in mind we have prepared this short technical briefing to let you all know about the technical developmentswe are currently working on. We are very excited about what lays ahead for us and our fans, and we hope you are too. Best wishes, Paul Jackson.Lighting:

In the current version of RailWorks we use a very simple 3 point lighting system. We have a sun (or moon at night) light, a back light which mirrors this and an up-light which simulates reflection of light back from the ground; these lights move slowly around the world with the change in time of day.

One of the main visual goals is to implement a dynamic lighting system. This will allow us to have many more lights in the world, e.g. train lights, platform lighting and internal lighting.

The first step towards this has been the reworking of the terrain system. This is required because illumination of the terrain has always been done using the CPU. This works in RailWorks2 because the lighting is not changing every frame and so this can be calculated infrequently. The development work done so far allows this to be moved to the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) so that lighting can be updated in real time. This is what can be seen in our speeded-up demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBF0pnookwk) .It also allows the lighting to update ‘on the fly’ when using the terrain editor, and this also improves the response to changes in the weather in-game. Additionally with the terrain GPU lit we are improving the shadowing.Draw Distance:

RailWorks currently renders 4km x 4km of high resolution textured terrain plus a further 6km of lower resolution 'distant mountain' terrain. In other words, when exploring your surroundings at the moment, only the nearest 4km are recreated in high detail which moves along continuously with you. By utilizing improvements in PC specs and refining the underlying code, we will be extending the draw distance further so that a much greater amount of the surrounding area is highly detailed, increasing the visual realism of the simulator.Block Assets:

This development is intended both as a way to improve your ability to create routes quickly, and also as an efficient way of rendering large blocks of identical assets. With the new block assets, when creating a route you simply place down and drag out a rectangle on the landscape which defines an area of identical scenic assets. These assets are then placed automatically, following the terrain, and are rendered very efficiently. The main and most obvious use for block assets is laying out blocks of trees and undergrowth, or potentially city and town terraces and other uniform sets of buildings.

In case you somehow got lost, this is the TRAINZ railroad simulator forum. You want to play with Railworks, be my guest, but leave your blatant ads for a train game at the door.

For all you who want Muti Player rail simulator Railworks will have it by next year.. Enjoy

http://www.facebook.com/pages/RailSimulatorcom/258680273090?v=app_10339498918

Online Play:

We are please to announce the RailSimultor.com boffins have started work on online multiplayer technology. While still in its early stages multiplayer game elements are likely to include Driver, Fireman, Signalling operations with up to 6 players and VOIP. We expect to go to BETA testing at the end April

RailSimulator.com strives to bring ongoing technical advances to trainsimming, not only to reward our loyal fans for their on-going support but to push train-simming forward in terms of realism and enjoyment. With this in mind we have prepared this short technical briefing to let you all know about the technical developmentswe are currently working on. We are very excited about what lays ahead for us and our fans, and we hope you are too. Best wishes, Paul Jackson.Lighting:

In the current version of RailWorks we use a very simple 3 point lighting system. We have a sun (or moon at night) light, a back light which mirrors this and an up-light which simulates reflection of light back from the ground; these lights move slowly around the world with the change in time of day.

One of the main visual goals is to implement a dynamic lighting system. This will allow us to have many more lights in the world, e.g. train lights, platform lighting and internal lighting.

The first step towards this has been the reworking of the terrain system. This is required because illumination of the terrain has always been done using the CPU. This works in RailWorks2 because the lighting is not changing every frame and so this can be calculated infrequently. The development work done so far allows this to be moved to the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) so that lighting can be updated in real time. This is what can be seen in our speeded-up demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBF0pnookwk) .It also allows the lighting to update ‘on the fly’ when using the terrain editor, and this also improves the response to changes in the weather in-game. Additionally with the terrain GPU lit we are improving the shadowing.Draw Distance:

RailWorks currently renders 4km x 4km of high resolution textured terrain plus a further 6km of lower resolution 'distant mountain' terrain. In other words, when exploring your surroundings at the moment, only the nearest 4km are recreated in high detail which moves along continuously with you. By utilizing improvements in PC specs and refining the underlying code, we will be extending the draw distance further so that a much greater amount of the surrounding area is highly detailed, increasing the visual realism of the simulator.Block Assets:

This development is intended both as a way to improve your ability to create routes quickly, and also as an efficient way of rendering large blocks of identical assets. With the new block assets, when creating a route you simply place down and drag out a rectangle on the landscape which defines an area of identical scenic assets. These assets are then placed automatically, following the terrain, and are rendered very efficiently. The main and most obvious use for block assets is laying out blocks of trees and undergrowth, or potentially city and town terraces and other uniform sets of buildings.

In case you somehow got lost, this is the TRAINZ railroad simulator forum. You want to play with Railworks, be my guest, but leave your blatant ads for a train game at the door.

With your post and quoting the original message you drag more attention to exactly the thing you want to protest against. Me...? I am just confused.

Too little, too late

It all smacks of desperation to me........ and playing catch-up..... nothing to see here foks. move along now! :hehe:

Railworks

Smacks of desperation...........smacks of a hell of lot more than that. When will these people who think Railworks is so great learn that it is a piece of C**P!!!!!

Trainz and TS2010 are light years ahead in the game at this point in time and I for one expect them to stay ahead.

Have a Merry Xmas and Happy New Year everyone.

Yay! Bring it on! Competition is the life blood of success! Too bad there aren't 10 multiplayer train games out...:D

Trainz has already blown MSTS and Railworks out of the water, they are just trying to play catch up !!

Check the forums overthe next few months, you will be amazed at developments.

So forget the others, just get Trainz TS2010 and watch a good sim !!

With your post and quoting the original message you drag more attention to exactly the thing you want to protest against. Me...? I am just confused.

Yeah, I wasn't going to quote the whole thing but my fingers don't always do what my brain tells them to do.:)

Trainz has already blown MSTS and Railworks out of the water, they are just trying to play catch up !!

Check the forums overthe next few months, you will be amazed at developments.

So forget the others, just get Trainz TS2010 and watch a good sim !!

Smacks of desperation...........smacks of a hell of lot more than that. When will these people who think Railworks is so great learn that it is a piece of C**P!!!!!

Trainz and TS2010 are light years ahead in the game at this point in time and I for one expect them to stay ahead.

trainz light years ahead your having a laugh:hehe: its the otherway around Railworks is light years ahead of trainz. i used to be a big fan of the trainz games but once i tried Railworks i couldn't go back to playing trainz, Railworks is far better in every way. this new multiplayer for Railworks will make trainz look like a load of crap enjoy playing your unrealistic game.

p.s. here's a pic just to show what Railworks can do
RailWorksProc22010-12-1817-39-24-11.jpg

it doesnt matter.

he said RW will be multiplayer by next year and it wont, there are only a few days left in the year.

Trainz is already multiplayer and we will be USING it next year.

by the time they get their first betas out trainz will have had time to do betas and work out bugs (and make new ones)... im just saying we are way ahead!

edit: saw the post with a picture of 'what railworks can do'... i dont get it, is that something special? is there anything in that screenshot you can point out that makes it stand out? i sure cant...

Last edited:
well the whole picture is special you see and here are a few reasons why...

1. we have walking people in Railworks who can get in and out of the train.

2. steam and smoke effects are a lot better than those in trainz

3. Railworks is better.....

also the beta for multiplayer in Railworks could be out by march.

Wow, got me sold. Justin, bring a lock with you on your way here Thursday, we're closing Jointed Rail down. It makes no more sense to continue on this way, never being able to live up to the unparalleled quality that is RW.

Take a peek in our screenshots section, USA, UK, AUS, it doesn't matter, all of them light years ahead of RW.

How's the AI..... Oh wait.

Mike

and on the downside for RW - those abrupt gradient changes, pathetic default sounds, low resolution ground textures, non-existant AI, and iffy physics.

Exactly what is being "simulated"? Oh yeah people walking on and off trains....

Good luck with that .......:hehe:

and my point is proven, nothing special in that shot that you cant have in trainz. ok, this cant become a flamewar, im glad you like railworks, really i am.

it doesnt matter how far you think you can talk the multiplayer beta back for railworks... trainz is testing it now. case closed.

im an occasional railworks player, i keep track of it purely out of curiosity. i even play it sometimes. i just never can take it seriously for very long, where with trainz i look up and find that 3 or so hours have passed because i was having so much fun.

Railworks is the way ahead people!!! the sooner you all see that the better.

p.s. by the way the AI in Railworks is amazing soooo much easier to use than the AI in trainz that's for sure once you have read the manual that is......

If Trainz is as rubbish as your making out and that you don't play it anymore then why are you trawling around this forum .... ?

As for passengers who walk .... I like it when they walk into the side of train or when there are at least 4 of the same person walking up and down the platform . Oh and I've yet to see a passenger actually climb into the train at a door !!! They walk they disappear .... wow I'm speechless :hehe:

Trainz has it's faults and slowly but surely Auran are making things better BUT please don't make Railworks out to be some bug free Holy grail of the train Sim world , it isn't !!

Oh and I tried playing it last night for a change ..... that lasted all of 15 minutes .

Back