TS2010 Session making competition - feedback

Any update on the status of the contest? It's been almost three weeks since our final versions were submitted...

Apologies. The judges have spent several days playing the sessions, deliberated, ..., and then become rather sidetracked with the release of Trainz Mac.

I've been promised a result to announce this week.

I appreciate the judges not rushing their decision and I understand there may be more pressing matters to take care of, but this slowly seems to turn into disinterest by Auran / N3V which I strongly hope is not the case.

Can we count on a ruling until the end of June at least, please ? (pretty please)

I'd like to know where I'm standing at with my session to give me some kind of feedback so I know in which direction to continue in with further sessions maybe.
It's been some good learning experience, getting feedback by Auran on the quality of our sessions and highlighting bugs here and there, but please bring it to an end, call it done and start a new competition some time in the hopefully very near future. (Prices don't need to be high, a small accomodation like free FCT tickets, store vouchers or smaller money check prizes will do just fine to keep the interest up and make more members take part in these competitions I believe)

Feedback is appreciated.

Tata
Mr.Jingles

Hello? ...hello... ...hello...

Echo! ...echo... ...echo...

Is anyone in here? ...here... ...here...

Have we been forgotten? ...forgotten... ...forgotten...

Are the judges still alive? ...alive... ...alive...

Will this contest ever be completed? ...completed... ...completed...

Just wondering! ...wondering... ...wondering...

From the latest newsletter...

At long last it is time to announce a winner for the Trainz Session Creation Competition. In order to qualify for the competition, sessions must be for a TS2010 built in route and uploaded to the DLS. Six qualifying sessions from four different creators were received for this competition.

The panel of judges had a most enjoyable time playing through each session. Picking a winner was a hard task - the three sessions awarded prizes scored very closely overall, and there was some debate between the judges about which order they should be in.

The final decision is:
  • In third place (awarded the prize of AUS $50 cash plus AUS $50 voucher for the Auran Store) is 'Shift Race' <kuid2:106007:100028:2>, created by Hert.

This session challenges you to deliver as much freight as possible in a three hour timespan, while also keeping out of the way of through trains. The task is simple - there are three types of cars and three industries to deliver them to - but it has an addictive quality to the gameplay.
  • In second place (awarded the prize of AUS $100 cash plus AUS $100 voucher for the Auran Store) is 'Run For The Money' <kuid2:299076:1003:3>, created by RacerTodd.

This session has you drive a local freight on the CSX Saginaw subdivision route. It tells you what to do at each point - so completing the session is not difficult. Getting a good score at the end is a lot more of a challenge, and requires some precise driving.
  • And finally the winner of the AUS $1000 grand prize is 'Switching Grogan Loop' <kuid2:32711:100108:2>, created by Dap.

This session puts you in charge of a lengthy local freight on the 'Downtown Traction' route. You have a number of cars to deliver and collect - and it's down to you to think up the most efficient way of doing so. The session uses an inventive new system for showing the car destinations. This system shows a lot of promise despite it's early development interface - and we hope to see great things from this system in future sessions.
We would like to thank all the entrants for their contribution - we consider all the entries received to be a step forward in session creation from the Trainz community. We hope that the community continues to create involving and interactive sessions like these in the future.

These sessions can be downloaded and installed into TS2010 SP4 using Content Manager - simply copy/paste the full name or KUID of the session you are interested in into the CM search pane, and it will be shown in the main list. You can then either right-click it and pick 'Download', or drag the session into the download helper pane.

The sessions may also be downloaded into Trainz Mac, using the 'manage content' option in the launcher. Copy/paste the full name or KUID of the session you are interested in into the content filter at the top of the window, and then right (control) click on the session and select 'Download' from the menu.

The full list of entries we received is:

Last edited:
I sent you a PM but look at the 3rd and 2nd Session descriptions although it says I got 3rd my session is described as the 2nd Prize winner. Is there an error on who won 2nd or 3rd or did you mess up the descriptions.

I messed up the session descriptions. Sorry. I've corrected my posts, I'll ask for the online newsletter to be fixed too. Thanks for pointing it out. And sorry - it doesn't change the result.

Last edited:
Congratulations, gentleman.

I appear to be the lucky loser then, but it was fun participating none the less.
I did not yet check out other competition entries, but may do so now where the competition is over.

Good luck and have fun spending the prize money. :)
Perhaps we'll meet again in future competitions.

Tata
Mr.Jingles

Wow, Thanks for the honor. The best part is the fun I had creating new sessions. I hope to create many more in the future.
I'd like to thank Philskene for a great route with lots of operational potential. Making a good session starts with a great route. And thanks to Hert, RacerTodd and Mr Jingles for some tough competition. I sure had fun running your routes while waiting for the judges decision. And thanks to everyone who contributes helpful posts on these forums. I couldn't do it without that support.
And thanks to the Trainz staff for giving us such a great rail simulator.

David

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Thank you all for participating. I can't overstate how close the final scores ended up being- took quite a lot of discussion between the judges before the winners were chosen.

To everyone playing along at home- be sure to download all of the sessions and check them out. They're a lot of fun.

chris

It was a great deal of fun making my session for the competition. I hope there are more competitions in the future, I'm looking forward to more challenges.

For those that think making a good session is too difficult, this was the first session I ever made using any sort of session rules or HTML assets. I'd made a few sessions for myself in the past, the simple kind where you place some locos and cars on a route, make up a task list in your head and go driving. If I can master the session rules, anyone can!

Todd

Back