Signal Configuration

hunt00

I just wanted to share some configuration information that might be useful for some that want signals to act uniquely.

In the configuration file, there is a value called "trackside". The trackside variable tells where the signal should appear from the center of the track. A negative number means left side while a positive number means right side. The greater the number the farther away from the center of the track.

There is a section called signals. These are the states or aspects noted below...

0) Stop. (Red)
1) Stop then proceed. (Red)
2) Caution and left diverge. (Yellow)
3) Caution and right diverge. (Yellow)
4) Caution. (Yellow)
5) Proceed and left diverge. (Green)
6) Proceed and right diverge. (Green)
7) Advanced caution.
8) Proceed.
9) Slow
10) Medium Speed.

There is a section called lights. This section allows the user to define the light color for each light in the signal starting from top being 0 to bottom.

The signal section also allows the user to specify what lights will be lit for each state or aspect. Separate each light value with a comma. This allows for multiple lights to be lit on a signal.

Knowing this you can have proper signals, for diverging and other signal aspects, to your liking.

Welcome to the Trainz forums, Hunt00.

This is great information. I'm not sure if the user can change these values because they maybe controlled through preconfigured custome scripts and are locked down.

John

This is great information. I'm not sure if the user can change these values because they maybe controlled through preconfigured custome scripts and are locked down.

John
If they are not your own signals, you can change the values in the config but then the signal will become a local customized version and any routes you make with them will not have the same signal values if you share the route. If you make your own, this and other valuable information can be found in various Content Creation Guides.

If they are not your own signals, you can change the values in the config but then the signal will become a local customized version and any routes you make with them will not have the same signal values if you share the route. If you make your own, this and other valuable information can be found in various Content Creation Guides.

I didn't know that the end user could actually change those values to locally customize the signals. I did know that changing something locally does not change the downloaded items because of the Kuid - owner system.

Thanks!

John

Quite a while since the last post here, but I just started Trainz sim.

My question has to do with the code to light specific lights in a signal, particularly the PRR pedestal signal. I've contacted the original author, but he doesn't have the information on it anymore.

Example. The code for a specific signal aspect might be something like 7,4,3,0 for a signal that has 2 pair of 4 lights each. One top, one bottom. I want to be able to turn certain lights off, particularly the bottom pair. Can I just edit the config file to read something like "7,4", or "3,0" using only two numbers instead of four?

Thanks very much,
Mike

Like most things like this, I would suggest that you go ahead and try it. Then test to see if it does as you require. If not, you can always "Revert to Original"

Cool. One small detail question: how do you set which direction is "diverging?" I have a bunch of double crossovers that the signals display a "clear diverging" aspect when set to cross over, and vice versa. I think this is actually a problem with the switch lever and not the signal, but this thread reminded me. I'm using the "power" switch machines ("Lever Motor" 2:77641:24556:1, "Lever auto" 36713:23300, "Point Motor WH63" 2:33572:24000:1, "Point Motor 1" 67906:24301 primarily), to simulate CTC territory, and it doesn't seem to matter which of these I use. Same issue with the generic red handle lever. The type of signal doesn't seem to matter, either. I haven't noticed if this happens with manual levers that offer a left and right version, since I don't usually use those with signals.

Like most things like this, I would suggest that you go ahead and try it. Then test to see if it does as you require. If not, you can always "Revert to Original"

Tried to do this and I think I did it right by saving the config file, but it wouldn't work. Based on the "light" configs for each signal aspect I thought I came up with at least one of which was wrong (Stop signal). Tired modifying it be removing 2 of the four position locations, but no luck.

Is there anywhere I can find the logic for coding signals like the "Pedestal" type. The author told me that it came from an original signal by "Auran".

Thanks again,
Mike

Still hoping that someone will see this post that can help.

Are there any tutorials available that will:

1. Explain the "Signal" codes (0,1,2....9) aspects?

The codes in the PRR Pedestal signal that is available has a config file that describes the usage in what appears to be non-US aspect terms such as: Approach, Approach Medium, Slow Approach, Restricting etc. The definitions might be Euro.

2. Explain how to create signals for TANE SP2?

Thanks,
Mike

I don't know about TANE, but if it's similar to the TS12 directory structure look for: e.g. TS12/scripts/signal.gs.
Once you locate the script all the states will be listed in it.

Chris.

https://www.google.com/search?q=PRR+pedestal+signal&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

:wave: Not sure if this help you or not, but here is what a Google Search revealed.........Best of luck Sir

Thanks Blue.

I've done that search and came up with the same thing. It's mainly a description of the physical signals themselves, not so much how to create them in Trainz. Actually, I'm very familiar with the signals as I operated trains for over 30 yrs on railroads that had them. I'll see if I can find the next posts link.

Back