What Happened to General Trainz?

John,
A new comers section would be a great idea. Probably wouldn't change much but would be a good idea. Would make searching for answers easier though if they were in one section alone. Also a running thread for missing KUID's. A place for creators to say they updated an asset and where to find it, if they wish. I hate searching for something only to find it was replaced by :1 for example. If I find something like that I could put a quick post in there making it easier for others. No reply's or discussions allowed to muddle things up. A title with the KUID, message of what it was changed to and where I found it.

Of course anytime you're dealing with an internet forum, things go cattywompus pretty quick. Taking the time to learn the proper etiquette is step one. The next step is more important. Patience from everyone else while new folks learn their way around and tolerance.

Dave......

Most sentences start with capital letters and two errors would make that plural. So, what's your point and what are you using?

Dave.....

I am fairly new to Trainz,and I surf the post's all the time looking for information. There are a lot of questions. The answers are not always what I am looking for. There seems to be a knowledge gap, and I am not the most literate user and find myself struggling, this of course is frustrating.There are a great many questions That I have.
I have been interested in trains and model railroading all my life. Trainz takes my hobby and puts it somewhere that I have room to express myself. I have recentally started dabbling with Content Creator, GIMP, and Trainz Asset Creator.This is the deepest end of the pool That I can find. I do this because there are modles in Trainz that I need.

I have questions,what I need are the answers:confused:

Barry,
I took your post as tongue in cheek, mine was written with that in mind. Personally, I don't care about all this stink over forum etiquette, spelling and such. The thread was started over a lack of interesting conversations and took a turn toward this.

Dave....

I was always taught. "If you can't say something constructive... say nowt!"
There are a lot of helpful people on these forums, I have learned a lot from them.

But there are the others who butt in on peoples posts, only to be rude, or to show off, I imagine for newcomers it can sometimes be a very hostile place.

I am thankful that I am able to read and write, but I am aware that a lot of souls are not so blessed. This does not mean that they are any less as mortals or have any less right to enjoy Trainz.

Let's hope with the new versions there are lots more newcomers to swell the forums, I will gladly read their posts and if, with my limited knowledge of Trainz, I can help, I will.

The more the merrier whether they can read, write spell or not.
Geoff

The more the merrier whether they can read, write spell or not.
Geoff
The forum is text based....if one cannot read, what enjoyment is there looking at a forum? If they cannot write, what enjoyment will they have?.....the statement may sound nice and tolerant, but it doesn't really make any sense.

Used to keep the maritime threads running over the years, as quite a few were interested years ago, but, Sourdough in the post above will be pleased to hear now given up Trainz! .
Why would I be pleased?....I've downloaded everything you've uploaded....I enjoy your maritime layouts....I only point out that you have stated many times in your posts that you have given up on Trainz...you have done so for years....is this not correct?

Barry, absolutely no reason to apologize to me, skins to thick. Point I'm making is the forum police running around lately probably run some people off, something touched on through this thread.

I've seen people REPLY to a post saying they WOULD HAVE REPLIED if the poster....... Cue the etiquette class, grammarians, etc. Just for fun a few more will chime in and derail the thread. Makes me want to beat my head on the wall. Not very welcoming to some and might drive people off and is part of the reason I quit coming here. I'm only here now to see what's up with the new release, not get graded on what I write or feed a certain few's elitist attitudes.

gericat, don't let all this talk get you down or deter you. A lot of great people here who will help. Any questions you have just ask away. Take the asked and answered types with a grain of salt. If everyone did that this place would be an excellent place, if just to waste time.

Dave.....

Imagine that, Woody was looking for conversation and he's missing three pages of one.:D

Last edited:
In Closing,
May I ask the "older" members, namely those who have been here more than a year, if they too notice a decline in the quality of a reading experience in this area ?

Thank You and Absolutely No Offense Intended to Anyone,
Woody:)
It may be that way, somewhat, but I think the forum goes in cycles....it has it's peaks and valleys. I think the main reason that there are more tech type questions in GD is simply because people aren't posting where they should be.....there may be a feeling that more people hang around in GD so there's a better chance for their questions to be answered......IMO the idea that former Auran staff had a better handle on this forum doesn't even qualify as selective memory....just pure fantasy....:cool:

Right after the forum was reset back in Nov 06, there was no General Discussion allowed....it was all tech discussions. Eventually more forums areas were added to where we are now....it really is better now..

Last edited:
Hi Sourdough. Not quite. I do spend a solid 10 hours a day on it however. Most of the 20 forums are either inactive, or I use them for research only. One, the Zen Cart forum is very active, but I only need to go there once a month or so. They don't tollorate fools there. Every question and answer is to the point. There's not one thread of waffle anywhere.

They use groups and sub-groups that work extremely well. To use Trains as a comparison, a group would be Assets. A sub-group could be as Sparky15 suggests Kuidxxxxx. Only technical posts associated with that Kuid would be acceptable. As a single keyword is easy to search that would work well.

You don't go to most of my forums unless you have something to ask. From my side, I only look at posts in my knowledge area. In Yahoo Answers that's computers and digital photography. I can usually scan and reply to all posts inside half an hour.

This forum is different. Because I run the Trainz Resources Directory, I have to read most posts and often follow up leads. That takes over an hour sometimes. As with most things on this forum, the New Posts link is next to useless. It often misses posts and sometimes it misses up to two dozen new posts a day, thus I have to read it, then each of the sections.

First of all. This topic really should be in Community as it has nothing to do with the suggested topics.

Everyone perceives and interprets the guidelines differently but if we stay on topic and in the right forum.....all is good.

Cya there.

Boco

Back