Download Webs

Get web space, upload content, slap html file together, link to uploaded content, upload html file and hey presto! :cool:

There are several websites that allow you to make your own. Probably the only free one I can think of that's going to survive this economy is Freewebs.com, if you don't want to have to pay for your website. Otherwise, Yahoo, Google, and plenty of others I'm sure will allow you to build your site... for a fee (Yahoo's Geocities is going away, so if you choose that don't expect your site to stay around for very long.)

I have a website, but I don't know what type of page to use, and how to get the download button to download to CMP.

And, the website is made with webs.

Last edited:
The website is made with webs? Is that some sort of software? I think not many are familiar with that, since there are too many HTML editors around. I myself just piddle with HTML code in Notepad, lets me do everything I want really. :)

A trains download link is pretty easy actually. If you upload your stuff to your own website it'd look something like:

HTML:
<A HREF="http://www.yourwebsite.com/contentfolder/mycontent.cdp">Click to download</A>
Though be careful with that because if the item gets downloaded much you could hit a data limit and could end up having to pay a lot.

Another way would be to add a link that makes Trainz Download Helper/CMP/CMP2 download said content straight off the DLS, provided you have it uploaded there. That's done like so:

For single items:
HTML:
<A HREF="trainz://install/<KUID2:XXXXX:XXXXX>">Install item</A>
For a pack of items:
HTML:
<A HREF="trainz://install-pack/<KUID2:YYYYY:YYYYY>">Install pack</A>
Hope this helps a bit? :)

Edit: Bloody typos got me again! :hehe:

Last edited:
I use a program similar to Notepad. For a simple site that is an easy method to learn and use. Create the htm files on your computer in the text editor, check them by viewing them in a browser, then use an FTP program to upload them to the server. There are a number of free FTP programs available and you don't need any other software.

Other methods include HTML editor programs that run on your own computer, and CMS (Content Management Systems) such as Joomla which run on the server. It's worth giving them a try.

Check your ISP, they might provide some free web space as part of your connection package.

The overall structure of an htm file is:
Code:
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Joe Bloggs' Web Site</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
(all the displayed text and its formatting tags go here so this normally has numerous lines)
</BODY>
</HTML>

John

Last edited:
Webs is a website for creating a website. Several people from Trainz have used webs, i'm sure.

Oh crikey yeah that one. The websites made on Webs won't open on my computer, so I wish you good luck with that. I think you'd be better off searching Google for "HTML tutorial".

This thread amazes me.

Over the past several months I've offered to supply free hosting to any Trainz community member to the point where I've been nervous about being chipped by the moderators. Despite my offers in numerous similar posts, I've had just two people take up my offer.

Seriously, what more do I have to do?

Here is my last thread.

Surely some of the people who answered here saw that post?

Seriously, what more do I have to do?

Honestly, after reading this thread your generous offer did not even occur to me, even though I was aware of it. It is odd, sometimes, how the most generous of offers made here seem to go unwanted, even when the poster believes he or she is being really kind. I have offered many things, from reskins to copies of Trainz and been disappointed at the reception.

That's life, I guess.;)

Hi JohnK,

Could you email me please off-forum, concerning your very generous website hosting offer.
Alternatively send me an IM please.

:)

Back