Japan

Re post #6975 HiBaller.
Hello Bill, thanks for the compliment. Japan is one of the steam countries I missed out on my world travels, get there one day!!!.
Re post #6999 tdstead
Hello tdstead.
The route I'm using is a 3' 6'' adaption of "Appalachian Right of Way" on the Trainz Forge website https://trainz-forge.com/appalachian-right-of-way.
All the locos/rollingstock are by "Keimei" and are on the DLS, but I have cloned and adapted for TRS19.
A long process, you will need IM Editor https://contentcreation.trainzsimulator.com/im-editor-edit-im-files/
PEVSOFT tools Trainz Mesh Viewer2, Images2TGA and Texture Txt (Get the lot) http://trainz.shaneturner.co.uk/tutorials/index.php/home/utilities/pevsoft-trainz-tools
I use Paint.Net, finding the Effects/Blurs tool "Smart Blur" at the default setting for smoothing out the mottled effect on the original TGAs most useful.
I found the BR Ivatt 2MT Black <kuid:248163:101508> by 2995valliant on the DLS most useful to see how textures can be up-date for TRS19.
A good dollop of "Trail and Error" is also needed!!

JNR WIP

Cheers, Ken

Very nice route. quick question, where did you get that track?

re post #7001 duskeyduskey
Hello duskeyduskey, the track is on the DLS, look for "NIPPON SENRO-PC16" KUID<454121:103415> BY 'Rossolabo'. It's non procedural/non seasonable though, so you will have to find your own turnoutfrogs (I'm still looking for something suitable).
SLL Ballast TSM SK6 CL spline by "scroll12" <kuid:694017:100024>, its seasonal.

Cheers. evilcrow

[/QUOTE]

Very nice pictures! I'm looking forward to the completed route!

In other news - here's the fourth part of the 209 Series megapack - the 209-3100 Series!

[IMG]https://i.postimg.cc/8cpJVwvS/JR-East-209-3100-Series.png

It's already avaible on my website.

This little fleet of just two 4-car sets came to be in 2004, when Tokyo Area Waterfront Rapid Transit, the company operating the Rinkai Line, was re-forming it's 70-000 Series fleet to standardize it's trains to 10-car sets, in preparation for the commencment of full trough-service between the Rinkai Line and the JR East Saikyo Line. TWR went from five 6-car sets and five 10-car sets to a uniform fleet of eight 10-car sets, but in doing so, it ended up with four surplus cab cars and two surplus intermediate cars.

These six cars were purchased right away by JR East, wich intended to use them to replace the ageing 103-3000 and 103-3500 Series on the Kawagoe and Hachiko Lines. Initially, JR East planned to replace the older trains with seven 205-3000 Series sets, wich were to be converted from withdrawn 205-0 Series cars, however the sudden avaibility of much more modern ready-to-use rolling stock was a no-brainer, with JR East opting to convert only five 205-3000 Series sets, with the remaining two to be formed out of the ex-TWR cars instead. Furthemore, since the 70-000 Series was based on JR East's 209 Series, familiarizing with the new trains would've been relatively simple, given that the Kawagoe and Hachiko Lines already used a small fleet of 209 Series trains: the 209-3000 Series.

The purchase of the surplus TWR cars was finalized in early 2005, with all six passing under JR East ownership. Re-classified as the 209-3100 Series, the ex-TWR cars were formed in two 4-car sets, one formed of all ex-Rinkai Line stock, and the other formed of the two cab cars sandwitching two newly-built intermediate cars, wich had been manufactured by Kawasaki Heavy Industries in March 2005.

Fitted in the Orange and Lime green livery of the Kawagoe and Hachiko Lines, the two 209-3100 Series sets entered service on the 17th of April 2005, and toghetwer with the 209-3000 and 205-3000 Series, completely replaced the old 103-3000 and 103-3500 Serieses by October and March 2005 respectively.

After that, the two 209-3100 Series sets lived a relatively tranquil and uneventful life for about 15 years, until 2019, when due to the influx of 209-3500 and E231-3000 Series sets, converted from former Chuo-Sobu Line 209-500 and E231-0 Series sets (replaced by ex-Yamanote Line E231-500 Series sets, themselves replaced by the new E235 Series), the fleet of the Kawagoe and Hachiko Lines started to be radically changed, with the older 205-3000 Series being retired in 2018 and the 209-3000 Series being retired in February 2019. The 209-3100 Series was no exception, being retired in October 2019.
However, the two 209-3100 Series sets unexpectedly re-entered service in December that year, to "cover" for 209-3500 and E231-3000 Series sets that were unavaible, undergoing conversion to one-man operation. Finally, the two 209-3100 Series sets were retired again in January 2022, however, unlike the 209-3000 Series (all sets of wich were scrapped), the 209-3100 Series is being stored out-of-service at Kawagoe Depot, and might even re-enter service if necessary.

Trivia:
The 209-3100 Series is the first, and as of today, one of the only two rare cases of a thrid-sector railway rolling stock being purchased second-hand by a JR Group company. The other case is JR Kyushu's KiHa 125-400 Series, wich are ex-TR-400 diesel railcars purchased in 2005 from the closed Takachiho Railway.

re post #7003 AlexMaria
Thanks for the compliment.

JNR WIP

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow

@AlexMaria or any of the creators really...

I know you guys do a lot of the regular fleet trains used by the various JR companies but do you have any plans to do any of the tourist trains? Whether it's the basic ones with the cats or something more complex like the 7 stars of Kyushu? I know Japan has so many so it'd be borderline impossible to create them all but I am wondering if there's any interest in the more special trains?

@AlexMaria or any of the creators really...

I know you guys do a lot of the regular fleet trains used by the various JR companies but do you have any plans to do any of the tourist trains? Whether it's the basic ones with the cats or something more complex like the 7 stars of Kyushu? I know Japan has so many so it'd be borderline impossible to create them all but I am wondering if there's any interest in the more special trains?

Personally, i do purposefully "avoid" tourist trains, but that is just a matter of personal preferences. I simply dislike them.
I just find "evryday" rolling stock more intresting and appealing that something that was given the "mitooka treatment" and is now only used to act as a tourist trap. (also, i do find many tourist trains, such as the Seven Stars In Kyushu or the Shikishima, particularily gaudy, but that's just personal taste).
Having said that, rather than present-day tourist trains, i wouldn't mind modelling some older "Joyuful Trains", particularily the ones based on the 485 Series or the KiHa 183-1000 Series or other JNR-era trains repurposed by the then-young JR Group companies.
As a matter of fact, i do have already one such Joyful train in my website inventory, the Super Saloon Yumeji, and in the near future i'd like to add the Shuttle Maihama, Yu Yu Tokai or the Sylpheed (for wich i already have the appropriate DE10 ready), but i'd still rather perfer not to make contemporary stuff.

----

In other news, here's the fifth part of the 209 Series megapack - the E501 Series!

JR-East-E501-Series.png

As always, it's already avaible on my website!

Ever since the late 1960s, the Joban Line services out of Ueno Station had been operated with two distinct types of rolling stock: 4-door "commuter-type" trains (either the 103 Series or Chiyoda Line trough-service stock) on "Rapid" services in the 1500v-only section between Ueno and Toride, and 3-door "suburban-type" 415 Series trains for AC/DC services beyond Toride. This arrangment had worked pretty well for nearly 30 years, as unlike the ever-expanding eastern and souther parts of Tokyo, Toride had remained the "northern" border of the "Tokyo Commuting Area" for several decades, however, this started to change in the late-1980s to the early-1990s, with an increase of commuters from cities such as Ushiku and Tsuchiura.

Originally, JR East considered re-electrifying part of the Joban Line north of Toride, so to easily extend the "operable area" of 103 Series commuter trains, but this was rejected on grounds of high costs. A much cheaper, and effective, solution was chosen instead: to build a multi-voltage 4-door commuter train.
Classified as the E501 Series, the new trains were based on the 209 Series, JR East's then-lastest type of DC-only commuter train, using an exactly identical bodyshell and interior arrangment and decor. Instead, of course, the electrical equipment was completely changed: 20Kv AC 50Hz to 1500v DC rectifiers were fitted, motors geared for a higher top-speed of 120Km/h (compared to the 110 of the 209 Series) and most perhaps most notably, the Mitsubishi Electric-made traction Inverters (then-standard for most of JR East's new trains) were ditched in favour of the iconic German-made "Singing" Siemens GTO-VVVF inverters.
Manufactured jointly by Kawasaki Heavy Industries and Tokyu Car Co. the first sets were completed in early 1995, but however couldn't be delivered in time for the planned start of services due to the onset of the 1995 Great Hanshin Earthquake, wich severely damaged Kawasaki Heavy Industries' Hyogo Plant in Kobe.

In the end, the first 10+5 car set of a planned initial order of four such sets (a grand total of 60 cars) entered service in December 1995, and was followed by the other three sets in early 1997.
Upon it's entrance in service, the E501 Series was very well recieved by both railwaymen and commuters, being quieter and far more comfortable than either the 415 Series or the now-ageing 103 Series. However, an issue soon developed - while it's true that the E501 Series had been designed as a commuter train, it had been designed too strictly as such, and hence lacked something fundamental for medium to long-distance services: toilets!
Hence, JR East opted not to proceed with further E501 Series orders, remaining with just four 10+5-car sets.

Due to their lack of toilets, in operational service, the four E501 Series sets were strictly limited to the busiest rush hour services only, such as the Ueno-bound trains departing between 06:00 and 07:00 from Tsuchiura Station, with the older 415 Series still operating all the other services.

In the end, a new proper 4-door multivoltage train suitable for long-distance commuter services had to be designed again, in particular to replace the now-seriously ageing 403 and early-batches 415 Serieses. The new trains came in the form of the E531 Series, introduced in 2005 and derived from the DC-only suburban E231-1000 Series.
Due to the fast-paced introduction of the E531 Series, with the timetable change of spring 2007, on the 18th of March, the whole E501 Series fleet was re-assigned to regional services north of Tsuchiura and on the Mito Line.
In 2012, 15 years after it's introduction, the whole E501 Series fleet was refurbished, wich involved replacing most of the braking and electrical equipment, including unfortunately the iconic Siemens GTO-VVVF inverters (spare parts for wich had become unavaible as Siemens discontinued that particular model) being replaced by more efficient, but bland Toshiba IGBT-VVVF inverters.

Currently, all four 10+5-car sets are still in service, operating as 10-car sets on the Joban Line between Tsuchiura and Mito, and as 5-car sets on the Mito Line between Mito and Oyama. Depsite the small size of the fleet (and the fact that some sets are now 25 year old) there aren't any plans to replace the E501 Series yet.

Trivia:
As part of the early campaign to extend Joban Line rapid services north of Toride, the Chambers of Commerce of Ushiku and Tsuchiura, togheter with elected Diet representatives from those electoral districts formed a "Temporary Alliance for the Improvement of the Capacity of the Prefectural southern secton of the Joban Line", a pressure group whose main objective was to lobby the Ministry of Transportation (and JR East) into introducing a 4-door commuter train on "their" section of the Joban Line.

@ Evilcrow.

I wanted to say this earlier but thank you for coming in the Japan thread and bringing the Beauty of Japanese steam locomotives. I know we often post EMU's and high speed consist but the Japanese Steam locomotives have a beauty of them own. Arigato! Also nice Sakura on your last pic.

Most are on dls plus there is a few more here

https://japanesetrainzheritage.weebly.com/steam.html

Hope this helps

Tom

@ Evilcrow.

I wanted to say this earlier but thank you for coming in the Japan thread and bringing the Beauty of Japanese steam locomotives. I know we often post EMU's and high speed consist but the Japanese Steam locomotives have a beauty of them own. Arigato! Also nice Sakura on your last pic.

HOW do You know?

It has been discussed a few times on this thread as far as i know. Roughly this guy straight-away re-distributes others' content (without even any modifications that would be worthy to be called a reskin) that would otherwise be easily avaible on the DLS or on the original creators' websites.
Namely the locos avaible for download on the website in question (one of many similar ones!) are Keimei's (all available on the DLS), Hanshin9501's (available on his website) and a reskin of Trainzitalia's FS Gr. 691 streamlined locomotive.

Also, by looking at the "About" and "Contact" pages, it appears that for that website, Bill Vu is masquerading as Keimei.

There are a couple threads about his wrongdoings:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...en-ripped-off-gain-dear-Mr-Billvu-please-stop

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?137022-Becoming-A-pain

He has been banned from these forums and from uploading on the DLS, but nothing's stopping him from redistributing content on his website(s).

re post #7008 pagroove
Arigato for the compliment pagroove.
Yes Japanese steam locomotives are truly beautiful, I wish I could have made it to Japan in steam days.
The "Sakura" trees are really the Auran Tree Apple and will have to do for the moment. There does seem to be a lack of Japanese trees on the DLS.

reposts #7009 tdstead, #7010 d.dollo1 and # 7012 AlexMaria.
Oh dear, I think it best if I stay with "Keimei's" excellent locomotives.

JNR WIP

Cheers, evilcrow

As always stunning pictures Evilcrow! The second is particularily exquisite!

Out of pure curiosity, what's the timeframe setting for your route? Late 1940s?

re post #7015 d_doll01
It's on the DLS "Seki6000 Coal Hopper" <kuid:438196:1201> author "keimei"
I've modified the textures for TRS19.
Nothing new from this excellent author for some time, perhaps someone on this thread knows why.

Cheers, evilcrow

Finally, after a few months of work, here's the final part of the 209 Series megapack - the Experimental and Training sets!

TEX.png

From left to right: MUE-Train and the training sets for Hachioji, Yokohama, Omiya, Nagano and Shirakawa ("E991 Series"). All these are already avaible on my website!

MUE-Train
This special train was introduced in 2008 by JR East as a testbed for new technological applications and equipment performance improvement trials, and was converted from former Keihin-Tohoku Line 209-0 Series set No.2, assigned to Urawa Depot.
Shortened from 10 to seven cars, repainted in a peculiar white livery and christened "MUE-Train" (MUltipurpose-Experimental), this set was fitted with all sorts and types of equipment in use by JR East, including three saftey systems: ATS-P, ATS-SN and ATC-6, enabling it to be used on all of JR East's (electrified) metropolitan-area lines.
During it's testing career, that continues to this day, the MUE-Train has been used to test an improved air suspension system, acquaplaning countermesaures, faster computer communication protocols, studying the impact of snow on braking and accelleration performance, and perhaps most importantly, the MUE-Train was used to extensively test INTEROS, JR East's new rolling stock self-diagnostic system (designed to replace the reliable but dated TIMS), wich has since become the new standard in Japan, being introduced in regular service in 2015 with the E235 Series.

209 Series-based training sets
These peculiar trains are used by JR East to train it's railwaymen. Four sets of this type exist, all formed of two cars, and each one is assigned to a different training center.
By the early '2000s, JR East was still using withdrawn JNR-era rolling stock, such as 113 and 103 Series trains, for training duties, depsite these train types (and their general layout, such as emergency door handles) being now radically different from the various "New Serieses" running in the metropolitan area; therefore JR East decided to replace it's older training sets with something more closer to the actual trains the company was now using.
Six two-car sets were manufactured in 2008 by Kawasaki Heavy Industries and delivered to three Tokyo Area training centers: Hachioji, Yokohama and Omiya. These training sets are identical to the "mainline" 209-0 Series, down to the interior arrangment and upholstery colour. Of course, that's their point as training sets, to be as similar as possible to the mainline stock, however, obviously some difference exist - there are two tell-tale fetaures (besides the 2-car formation): the livery, each of wich is unique to a training set (Chuo Line orange for the Hachioji set, cream white for the Yokohama set and orange and green "Shonan" colours for the Omiya set) and the presence of a red emergency light in place of the standard-issue flare (an actual thermal flare that is lit up electrically in emergency), this is because since these trains are to be used for emergency training, the flare is almost always used, therefore instead of having a flare that has to be replaced each time after it has been used, JR East decided it would've been infinitely simpler to just have a red flashing light wich can be turned on and off.
In 2019 another 209 Series training set was created, this time as a conversion from a withdrawn 209-3000 Series set from the Kawagoe and Hachiko Lines. This fourth training set has been converted to be exactly like the other three, but unlike those, it has not been assigned to a Tokyo area training center, but rather it was sent all the way to Nagano, since nowdays, "Shin-Keiretsu" derived trains are now the mainstay on rural lines as well.

All of the four 209 Series-based training sets are actually capable of moving by themselves, as they're fitted with all the standard necessary traction equipment, however since they are not fitted with train radios, they aren't allowed on mainline tracks (thus, for transfers they have to be hauled by an electric locomotive), meaning the only place they can actually run on their own is on dedicated "training tracks", wich are however always quite short (almost never longer than a couple hundred meters), and as such they'll rarely attain speeds higher than a handful of kilometers per hour. However this is not a problem, since these are meant for emergency and rescue training (such as fire drills). Actual train driving and conductor-duties training is done on dedicated simulators, wich are much more flexible.

Shirakawa E991 Series.
This four car set was built in 2000 as a training vehicle for JR East's Comprehensive Training Center in Shirakawa City, Fukushima Prefecture, where the general "basic" training of all of JR East's aspiring railwaymen is conducted (wether for drivers, conductors, maintainance of way or rolling stock, both for Shinkansen and conventional lines).
Formed as a full 4-car set, and made with bodyshells identical to the AC/DC E501 Series, but fitted in an unique green livery, the E991 Series is probably JR East's most unique piece of rolling stock, especially considering it can't move on it's own!
That's right, evrything on the E991 Series is a mockup, incluiding the pantograph, traction inventers and so on. The cabs are barebone, being fitted only with the most basic of training-necessary equiment and in some parts of the intermediate cars interior panneling is seemingly missing as well! Even the "E991 Series" designation is a mock-up: officially, this vehicle is not even legally considered a "train", depsite being externally identical to one, and as such never recieved an official series number - "E991 Series" is only written on the in-car number plate stickers. The E991 Series is also fitted with a proper working LED destination display, and is equipped with a ROM with station names from the Tokyo Metropolitan Area (such as Chiba-Minato).

Shirakawa's E991 Series is used for all sorts of training (from conductor to rolling stock maintainance), and it's positioned on a 500m-long stretch of actual 1067mm-gauge track, completely isolated from the rest of the railway network (JR East's Shirakawa Training Center is itself three kilometers away from the closest railway station - Shirasaka station on the Tohoku Main Line) but fitted with all the equipment that is found on mainline railways, such as signals, ATC balises, a 40m-long reproduction of a station platforms and even a proper catenary (altough unpowered!). The E991 Series can actually move up and down this short stretch of track, altough since it's unpowered, it has to be push and pulled by something else, such as a road-rail vehicle.
Obviously, since it's deep inside a restricted area, photos of the E991 Series are extremely scarce, and the train itself may only be seen by the pubblic during events and open days organized by the training centre itself.

re post #7018 tdstead
Thanks for the compliment Tom.

re post #7019 AlexMaria
Wow, a lot of info there for the community, well done.

JNR WIP

Cheers, evilcrow

Back