Japan

so um. i got a curious question/request?

so years back on this fourm i remember seeing somebody tried to make the kodama livery (the black and green livery) on one of the 0 series models (i forgot which 0 series model) but its not really a offical reskin/model and it kinda failed? and right now, would anybody consider to try to reskin a 0 series having a kodama livery again?

You mean this right?

I attempted a reskin of the JR Wst New Kodama colors, but it did not came out very well.
The front and the rear are fine, but the green line between the doors should be fully under the windows, not cutting trough.

alexmaria_20180927_0000.jpg

Personally, i don't see any point in trying.
The base model is the only 0 Series model ever made for trainz - Keimei's one (wich depicts the earliest batch of the 0 Series, the 1964-built units).
Since there haven't been any modifications or reworking of the base model, the result of a reskin attempt would be the same as last time.

As i said, no point in trying.

You mean this right?

Personally, i don't see any point in trying.
The base model is the only 0 Series model ever made for trainz - Keimei's one (wich depicts the earliest batch of the 0 Series, the 1964-built units).
Since there haven't been any modifications or reworking of the base model, the result of a reskin attempt would be the same as last time.

As i said, no point in trying.

What abouot trying to use hirochi's model? would there be any differnce?

Small update to my Red line. Made another city and a connection station to the Aito line (Which I'm gonna have to redo by replacing the missing tracks and ground texture) With the new JP stuff, I should crank out some different towns now.
red-line-trains-ready.jpg
departing-new-station-2.jpg
aito-flyover.jpg
aito-flyover2.jpg
aito-flyover3.jpg
departing-yonshiba-station.jpg

What abouot trying to use hirochi's model? would there be any differnce?

Didn't Hirochi release a Kodama 0 Series once? Might be wrong here.

True, Hirochi did release a 0 Series - the "later batches" version with narrow windows - wich is just a separate "flat mesh" superimposed on Kenichiro's 0 Series model.

shinkansen 0-1000 21

shinkansen-0.jpg

I'm pretty sure the result would be roughly the same as with Kenichiro's one as base, but i'll try anyway.

After some time, i'm back at modelling!
Here's the first "true model" for this year - something that i somehow "missed" while making my "(211 Series-derived) First JR Group designs" pack of this summer, wich is especially baffling since it's my favourite JR Hokkaido train: the 721 Series!

JR-Hokkaido-721-Series.jpg

It's already avaible on my website, here.

The 721 Series was introduced in 1988 as the first electric multiple unit designed by the newly-formed JR Hokkaido, and was intended to relieve congestion on suburban services in the Sapporo area.

In the mid-1980s, ridership on Sapporo area commuter services had increased by several times compared to previous decades, especially thanks to the increasing urbanization and expansion of the city area. As an answer to this, in it's closing years, JNR had built new stations and re-organized the schedules of suburban trains, increasing them. However, depsite being fully double tracked and electrified, the overall capacity of the network was severely hampered by the rolling stock used to run suburban services: the 711 Series electric multiple units that dated to the mid-1960s, wich were built like the express-type trains of the "DC network" (such as the 165 and 169 Serieses) and thus with their two doors and lacklustre accelleration were becoming increasingly inadequate to the high-ridership commuter services and the even more inadequate locomotive-hauled trains consisting of 50 Series coaches, wich also had only two doors per car and a worse accelleration.
Furthemore, since most stations had been built with no passing tracks, commuter services had to share the two tracks with a multitude of services, from freight to limited express trains, meaning that dwell time at stations needed to be as short as possible.

In 1986 plans were made to experimentally retrofit a third, central door on several 711 Series sets and on a few 50 Series coaches as well, in order to speed up boarding and alighting and to pave the way for a planned 3-door electric multiple unit dedicated for Sapporo area services. These retrofits were carried out in June 1987, immediately after JNR's privatization, but on a much smaller scale, with only a handful of 711 Series sets (among those set S-119) and a single 50 Series coach (Oha 51 41) being fitted with a central door. However, the experiment was a success, with railway technicians observing that a third door could reduce boarding and alighting times by nearly 50%. With these results in hand, the designing of the new three-door electric multiple units for Sapporo area services began right away.

The new trains, classified as the 721 Series, began regular services on the 3rd of November 1988, coinciding with the re-opening of Sapporo station, wich had been just rebuilt to the current elevated structure.
Based on the stainless steel bodyshell design of the successful 211 Series, the 721 Series also fetaured a few design cues from the KiHa 183-500 Series diesel multiple units, mainly the top headlight arrangment. In line with JR Hokkaido's plans, the 721 Series was fitted with three sliding doors per side, with the door area being separated from the passenger compartment by a partition, in order to keep the freezing Hokkaido cold outside during winters. For summers insted, the new trains were Hokkaido's first non-express trains fitted with air conditioning.

On the technical side, the 721 Series are 20Kv 50Hz AC-only multiple units, using bogeys derived from the 211 Series, but with several adaptations to the cold Hokkaido climate, mainly the usage of cast-iron brakes instead of the more modern disc brakes (this being a distinctive trait of JR Hokkaido rolling stock) to avoid losing braking power due to acquaplaning.

Like other contemporary suburban-commuter electric multiple unit designs, the 721 Series was manufactured in several batches and different subserieses:
The first batch, the -0 Subseries, consists of 22 3-car sets built between 1988 and 1992, fitted with thryistor-phase control and with a top speed of 120Km/h. These were intended for "general services", both suburban and regional, from Sapporo to Otaru, Muroran and Asashikawa. In 2002, sets 15 to 22 were modified for a top speed of 130Km/h and reclassified as part of the -3000 Subseries.

The 2nd batch was introduced in 1992 and consists of four 6-car sets with thryistor-phase control and with a top speed of 120Km/h. These were introduced for dedicated "Airport Rapid" services between Sapporo station and New Chitose Airpot, via the Chitose Line. In 2002, all four sets were modified for a top speed of 130Km/h and reclassified as part of the -3000 Subseries.

The 3rd batch, classified as the -1000 Series, was introduced in 1993 and consisted of eight three-car sets fitted with GTO-VVVF inverters (derived from the ones used on JR Hokkaido's 785 Series express EMU). An additional train, identical to the previous was delivered in 1994 as the "4th batch".

The 5th and final batch (classified as the -4000 and -5000 Series) was introduced in 2003 and consisted of a handful of newly-built intermediate cars used to re-organize trains formed as two 3-car sets coupled togheter into proper 6-car sets, with the leftover cab cars being re-formed into proper 3-car sets by adding another newly-built cars.

Therefore, after the re-formations were completed, the 721 Series fleet consisted of 135 cars formed as 23 3-car sets and 11 6-car sets.

In 2000, many 721 Series sets dedicated to airport services were fitted with half-car-long "U-seat" reserved seating areas - on 3-car sets this area was placed in the cab-side of one of the cab cars, while on 6-car sets it was placed on the 3rd car on the "Sapporo Station side". These "half-cars" recieved their own dedicated livery: red and blue with well-visible "U-seat" markings on the sides. Thanks to their popularity, in 2003, coinciding with the general 721 Series "re-formation works", the size of the "U-seat" area was expanded to cover the full cars, wich were given a new blue livery.

Currently, depsite the introduction of newer electric multiple units, mainly the 731 and 733 Serieses, the 721 Series still forms the backbone of commuter and regional services in and around Sapporo, with all sets in service (except one, 1st Batch Set no. 17) and are a common sight on the electrified portions of the Chitose, Hakodate and Muroran Lines. Depsite the oldest trains having surpassing 30 years of age, JR Hokkaido hasn't any plans to replace the 721 Series anytime soon, instead the whole fleet will undergo a general refurbishment in the next years, with the objective being to bring it closer, in terms of operational performance, to the 733 Series. In this regard, JR Hokkaido's official plans are to retrofit all 721 Series trains with "high efficiency" equipment by 2030.

Trivia:

The 721 Series was the first train in the JR Group to use a "one-handle" master controller, something that would become commonplace only 15 years later, with the introduction of JR East's Shin-Keiretsu Densha family of trains.

Model Trivia:
At 32 consist total, this is the new record holder for the title of "most consists possible made out of a single basic series".

Last edited:
Sorry for not being that active. I am a little low on energy lately. Also there where some other games that I play that got big updates (No Mans Sky, Star Citizen, Ms Flightsim2020).

Plus I watched a ton of J-tubers livestreams (wandering channels on Youtube) from people that walk through Tokyo: Tokyo Explorer, Lemi from Japan, Rambalac, With Me Japan and Japanese Emi Channel). These mostly walking channels on YouTube give me inspiration for making Japanese scenery. I can recommend them to all who want to look what real Japanese neighborhoods look.

On the Trainz front I am still working at least once or two times per week on my Icarus Shinkansen v2.0. route. In fact two days ago Icaruco got it's first loop line. This loop line is a lot longer than the Toshin Loopline on Electro Island. :).

Currently I am working on the building snapshot for next week which will include that loopline. Plus the continuation of the Trans Icaruco Feight Line (TIF) (this is the new name)
To all here. Nice screenshots and thank you as always for the new train @AlexMaria.

@ Railshuttle nice progress on your new lines. This time is something scheduled for a release?

Last edited:
pagroov: It's gonna be a while Though the Red Line is the newest route on the layout I ported over from trainz12, I've discovered that I have to redo the other lines, Replace missing tracks and obsolete objects It will be much like when you ported your route form trainz 12 and all the renovation and replacing you had to do.
Now that the JIRC site is back up, I hope he re-releases his route so I can complete the routes that borrowed stuff from it.

pagroov: It's gonna be a while Though the Red Line is the newest route on the layout I ported over from trainz12, I've discovered that I have to redo the other lines, Replace missing tracks and obsolete objects It will be much like when you ported your route form trainz 12 and all the renovation and replacing you had to do.
Now that the JIRC site is back up, I hope he re-releases his route so I can complete the routes that borrowed stuff from it.

Yes also when I rescued your SIRL a LOT was missing so I deleted or replaced all the missing stuff. I can send you the current state of the SIRL if your want it for TRS2019. It is still alive and one day scheduled for merge with my route. That one day could be a decade from now because there still has to be made an intermediate section of about 100 km. But I did prepare a merge. :cool:. BTW the SIRL is 170 km in current status. Later with merging of the already 130 km long and then intermediate section of 100 km plus we will have a line in exceeding 300 km length.

The first realistic merge planned for the future are merging Electro Island and Icarus Shinkansen. But for that I do have to revision some parts of Electro Island and making a merge version (with a cut out of the Colden Landbridge. But maybe this year these two routes will be connected. Also I plan to replace. Colden Shinkansen stations like Shin Okonimi and Hazima Valley with the standard Hirochi ones (with through tracks) as they work better. It is now very difficult to place trains on those stations as I merged a normal interactive station on the tracks of Kenchiro's old Shinkansen stations. It works but often when you play a train it is placed on the wrong track or even on the caternary and then the AI trains see of course no path and when you drive it yourself you will derail. So plans are to revision some parts and to freshen-up Electro Island also. It will be my summer project :D.

And @ Rizky if you read this. Congrats on reopening your website. It looks much cleaner and neater now. I see you did a Chinese Fuxing Hispeed EMU. Very nice :)

Last edited:
I guess you could. I just happened to find the West Sanito line add on which was to extend the Bullet train line west of Sanito about 50 miles or so plus. Did I send you that? I wasn't sure. I often wonder just how big a route can you make on Trainz?

Is the backwards "SSERPXE" on the nose of the red line on purpose? Sort of like the "ECNALUBMA" on the front of an ambulance so the train ahead can see an Express coming in its rear-view mirror? :hehe:

Bill

Back