What I don't like about....

WYO

WYO Route Builder
I keep reading posts about haw bad Trainz is and how it should be better and why Auran is out to screw the little guy. My answer to that is "and how's your Vista/AVG/Adobe/Symantec programs working out for you?" No problems? You must be hiding under a rock. All computer programs have bugs...except for MS, their programs have unintended features.:hehe: I think, that given the size of the company and the enormity of the task, that Auran has done well. If you don't like their product, don't use it. I have been here from the first and every iteration of the Trainz franchise has been significantly better than the previous one, yes even including 2006. (probably gonna get some flack for that).
I have even read where some person compares Rail Simulator favorably to Trainz. IMNSHO Rail Simulator should never have left the vendors doors until it was finished. I used it for several week but even with all the patches, upgrades etc, it was a very poor excuse for a rail simulator, it should have been called "Limited Train Driver". O.K. Rant over. TTFN

I keep reading posts about haw bad Trainz is and how it should be better and why Auran is out to screw the little guy. My answer to that is "and how's your Vista/AVG/Adobe/Symantec programs working out for you?" No problems? You must be hiding under a rock. All computer programs have bugs...except for MS, their programs have unintended features.:hehe: I think, that given the size of the company and the enormity of the task, that Auran has done well. If you don't like their product, don't use it. I have been here from the first and every iteration of the Trainz franchise has been significantly better than the previous one, yes even including 2006. (probably gonna get some flack for that).
I have even read where some person compares Rail Simulator favorably to Trainz. IMNSHO Rail Simulator should never have left the vendors doors until it was finished. I used it for several week but even with all the patches, upgrades etc, it was a very poor excuse for a rail simulator, it should have been called "Limited Train Driver". O.K. Rant over. TTFN

Hi WYO,

I agree with you regarding the good things about Auran and Trainz.

But, you must remember, there are many people worldwide for whom the only purpose in life is to complain about how things should be better. Plus, it gives these people something to do to fill in the day.

Sure, there are some legitimate complaints about Auran and Trainz from time to time and when they release new versions, but these are usually cleaned up by Auran by releasing service packs as needed.

I have no doubt that my comments may/will result in a rash of unfavorable comments, but I am entitled to my opinion, same as those who complain are entitled to post their opinions.

For me, I just enjoy Trainz and I am sure there are many others who feel the same..

Regards and keep on Trainzing,

I agree.

Its the old "you can't please everyone . . . " thing. Do the best you can and cover all the bases you can . . . still someone will complain.

Its all part of progress.

I stopped running and building my route in Trainz 2006 when I reached the limit of its "save" function. Its a route that I invested hundreds of hours. Its too complex for 2006. I'm hoping that 2009 doesn't have this problem. Most rants regarding Trainz pales in comparison to my problem in 2006. I just figured I built a route "before its time". Maybe with 2009 its time has arrived.

I was a heavily into HO scale 20 years ago. Compared to the expense of doing real HO scale modeling, I prefer the virtual one. It costs far less and none of the physical space requirement.

If Trainz was something that cost $1000 or more, like my CAD program I had to purchase for my day job, then I understand all the complaining I hear around the forum. ITS A VERY MINOR $$ INVESTMENT !! Come on, get real. WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM SOMETHING THAT COSTS LESS THAN $50 !!

In terms of $$ v.s. "amount of entertainment" . . . you will be hard pressed to find something that is better than Trainz . . . any version. This Forum and the DLS makes TRAINZ one of the best value ever.

AND THIS FROM SOMEONE WHO CAN'T RUN HIS ROUTE ON 2006 ANYMORE.

STOP COMPLAINING AND START ENJOYING. Remeber . . . this "game", or more properly, "HOBBY" . . . only gives back what you put into it.

IF YOU DON'T PUT MUCH TIME INTO IT . . . YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE DISAPPOINTED. TRINZ IS A NOT A "PLUG AND PLAY" . . . RATHER, ITA A "PLUG AND WORK-AT-IT" SOFTWARE. THEREIN LIES THE REASON WHY YOU WILL NEVER STOP ENJOYING TRAINZ.

OK . . . my rant is over:hehe:

It's always nice to see more positive threads about Auran appearing. I've had nothing but good experiences with both 2004 & 2006 - despite some bugs here and there. I realize that doesn't mean everyone else has had the same positive experience, but I really hate reading some of the negative and immature rants that seem to pop up with every new release.

I'd like to see some of those complainers come up with a better product...

I stopped running and building my route in Trainz 2006 when I reached the limit of its "save" function. Its a route that I invested hundreds of hours. Its too complex for 2006. I'm hoping that 2009 doesn't have this problem.

Going off topic for just a second...I've never built a route big enough to have this problem, but just in case 2009 isn't able to solve it, have you considered splitting the route into smaller sections and connecting them using an I-Portal? I realize it's more of a work-around than a solution, but at least you'd be able to continue your work on the route.

Patrick

You all sum up my feelings about Trainz. I've been at it since January 2004. I've loved every moment when I've used the program. There is that sense of accomplishment when I sit in the driver's seat and drive my custom route from end to end.

John

I agree with you. It seems as if more and more people are complaining about this great sim, and...well...yeah!

Now, I'm just going to settle this little thing once and for all.

If you don't have something good to say, don't say it!

Iced8383

Patrick,

Yes !! I am going to split up my route. But I'm looking at many hours of additional investment in time . . . but with the release of 2009 I have renewed vigor about working on my route. There are some "newbie" errors that Ive always wanted to get rid of anyway.

I have some large industry areas that I want to detach and possibly upload. I will probably just include parts of my route that are required for "current" scenarios and use portals to go "beyond".

This thread from the Screen shot forum shows many pictures of my route, if you're interested.

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=23447

I have no desire to abandon the work I've done so far. I tried TC versions and ran into "transfer problems" with contents.

2009 is just what I was hoping for !

All in all . . . even with some glitches . . . the POSITIVE aspects of TRAINZ FAAAAAAR OUTWEIGHS THE NEGATIVE 100 to 1 !!

:D

Hmmmm,

I thought this thread would be full of POSITIVE response . . .

There has to be more people with good thoughts about TRAINZ . . .

:eek:

Why do we need a thread full of positive things about Auran and Trainz when we allready have a thread called "What do you love about Trainz"?

Every program/game has it's critics,Trainz is no exception.Most of what I know about trainz,and it isn't that much,I have learned by RTFM,and reading what has been posted on the forums.These days I'm only running 2004 and a little bit of NG and while it has a few quirks I have found that I have been able to work around them by just reading some of the postings in the forum and re-reading the manual.I personally would like to thank all those who have made this possible.generally speaking,the help that has been given on the forums,the spirit in which the info has been given and,the friendly nature and willingness to help more than makes up for any short comings that trainz may have.

Back