Vista question

Ferngren

Trainzer
Can you use set affinity in any version of Windows Vista ??? (adressing a certain process/application to a certain CPU-core) Have googled but hard to find a definitive answer.

Has anyone tried running Trainz on its own core - and is there any gain in performance ?

Can you use set affinity in any version of Windows Vista ??? (adressing a certain process/application to a certain CPU-core) Have googled but hard to find a definitive answer.

Has anyone tried running Trainz on its own core - and is there any gain in performance ?

This is easily done.

Start your program the way you normally do.

Press CTRL-ALT-ESC to bring up the Task Manager without switching to the login screen.

The application will appear in the Applications view.

Right mouse-button click on the application

Choose Go to Process

In the process tab view, right click on the running process for hte application.

Choose Set Affinity.

Hope this helps.

John

Thank you Sire. Glad it can be done. Point is I haven't got Vista yet, I'm probing to find out what OS to put in my next computer. I'm beginning to lean against Vista 'cus it seems most hardware that's coming out now a days is geared for Vista or others with 64bit architecture.

Thank you Sire. Glad it can be done. Point is I haven't got Vista yet, I'm probing to find out what OS to put in my next computer. I'm beginning to lean against Vista 'cus it seems most hardware that's coming out now a days is geared for Vista or others with 64bit architecture.

Good luck on the OS front. I'm using Vista Ultimate 64-bit without any problems.

You're welcome. I'm glad I was helpful.

John

Back