ugly trains

Now that this thread has rolled around to TTTE, might I add my dime...

Scruff is my nominee to be presented in this thread; I realize that someone (skarloey123 ?) has made a TRZ model of him, but that still doesn't change the fact he's ugly. Doesn't help that he works at the dump.

And I can't condemn anyone else in TTTE simply because they're on TTTE. Moral of the story: If it's ugly, put it on TTTE and then it's beautiful without question (well, almost ^^)

Want a real photo of an ugly train? Then look no further.
AlcoScrapper_zps326c1ab1.jpg

Only one I know of that is that truck from Toad Stands By, namely the old rotten S.C. Ruffey. Who in the world is Scruff?

This little bugger, apparently a Sentinel Steam Waggon, one of the new ones added by HiT (ie never concieved by Awdry in the first place) for no real reason other than it boosts profits.
http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/Scruff
Works at the dump with Whiff (0-4-4T), hates getting cleaned. All you need to know.

Scruffpromotionalposter.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, might check that out just for the heck of it. Interesting little engine. Oh, and that Alco in my picture was getting scrapped. I'm not partial to diesels but that is treason to scrap an Alco!!!! *headdesk*

They were Gauge 1 trains.

There was an article back in the 80's that showed the trains and such. From what I recall (I'm looking for it as I type this) the engines were built with RC receivers in them to control the eyes, but operated normally.

They were Gauge 1 trains.

There was an article back in the 80's that showed the trains and such. From what I recall (I'm looking for it as I type this) the engines were built with RC receivers in them to control the eyes, but operated normally.

Perhaps you could post the link here for other TTTE fans so we can gather insight as to how they pulled this off?

Finally found something online other than the "canned" Wikipedia info:

According to TLC's Ultimate Guide to Thomas the Tank Engine web page the article "The Making of Thomas the Tank Engine," was published in the April 1993 issue of Model Railroader Magazine which reported that "The train characters are models built to a 1:32 scale, known in the model railway world as "1" Scale."

"To create the characters of Thomas, Henry, Percy, Gordon, and the gang, model-makers start with Marklin model train chassis and then modify the bodies to represent the various characters. Under a train's body shell lies the mechanism for moving the engine's eyes -- up, down, sideways, or 'round and 'round -- by radio control. In addition, there is a diaphragm pump and smoke unit to blow the specially formulated "smoke."

Click the link above to read more info on the original series...

ill be killed for this but to me the ugliest locomotives to ever touch rails are as follows- Gevos any foreign locomotive and of course taking the top 2 spots the A4 mallard and the flying scotsman

Agree with you on that one.
any foreign locomotive and of course taking the top 2 spots the A4 mallard and the flying scotsman
WHAAAAAT! So wait, this is ugly;
800px-10001_Hersbruck_30062007.JPG

And this:
3465582258_9a346ef04b_z.jpg

And this:
7928826060_4322dda414_z.jpg

And GOOD LORD, even Green Arrow?
greenarrow_large.ashx

Are these ugly? Really, look at them, little external pipework, no massive cowcatchers or headlamps. If these locos worked in the US unchanged, would you hate them so much? Don't get me started on Mallard and Flying Scotsman, they are perhaps the two most beautiful locomotives in the world...
(P.S I don't hate American trains or anything. I just consider European and British ones aesthetically better.)

Last edited:
I like the one on top and the Green Arrow(I used to have a model of the Green Arrow), but the other two I am not so fond of

Agree with you on that one.

WHAAAAAT! So wait, this is ugly;
800px-10001_Hersbruck_30062007.JPG

7928826060_4322dda414_z.jpg

And GOOD LORD, even Green Arrow?
greenarrow_large.ashx

Are these ugly? Really, look at them, little external pipework, no massive cowcatchers or headlamps. If these locos worked in the US unchanged, would you hate them so much? Don't get me started on Mallard and Flying Scotsman, they are perhaps the two most beautiful locomotives in the world...
(P.S I don't hate American trains or anything. I just consider European and British ones aesthetically better.)

Actually all three of these engines are ok for looks but that first one needs to lose the rounded casing where the buffers are. Otherwise it looks fine.

I just consider European and British ones aesthetically better.)

Sorry bud, but the New York Central Railway's streamlined 4-6-4 'Hudson' looks just as good as the Scotsman and Mallard. SP 4449 looks just as good if not a bit better than Mallard, even though Mallard is a nice looking engine.

Back