Turf FX grass

Whenever I lay down Turf FX grasses I've made, regardless of height or width or even which drop-down grass I select, I run into the same issue.
I "paint" the area I want the grass, but it always adds a few errant blades away from the main group. It shows up on roads, under tracks, etc.
I deleted the grass from the track/road area, but I have to delete pretty far back so none of it shows anymore.
I am wanting to have a fairly tight edge to where the grass stops.
I've fiddled with the settings, but can't find anything that keeps the grass from creating these outlying blades.
Any help would be appreciated.

This is a problem with vertex-based renderers. The way around this, or at least the way I got around those annoying errant grass clumps sticking out of roads, is to use shorter grass closer to the edge where the road is so that it doesn't stick through the roads and longer grass farther back. Sometimes, this doesn't work either and I end up using some smaller grass splines, weeds and plants, and sometimes forget it all and use textures.

The reason for this is the grass is placed on the points of the invisible mesh just like when we paint surfaces and end up with a sawtooth edge instead of a square edge and also when we smooth and raise and lower terrain. This is called vertex-based rendering. I'm not sure if you remember one particular grass texture with yellow flowers that stuck out of the surface. There wasn't a lot of them, but they were annoying because they stuck up in a grid-like pattern.

If you are patient you can get the Turf Fx grass height lower than the ballast, and use higher further out.

Example:

However much you try I still am of the impression Turf Fx looks better as a crop, a grassed field or similar but next to a track or road it is far to even and looks so unnatural. I think using Turf Fx very sparsely as an underlay, supplemented with grasses and similar vegetation assets produces a far more natural appearance. Peter

Last edited:
Back