Do not buy this train

d_doll01

Banned
Do not buy the Atlas trainkids Acela Express Trainset. One of the cables broke within 15 minutes of use, making this piece of **** an inoperable brick.

Do not buy the Atlas trainkids Acela Express Trainset. One of the cables broke within 15 minutes of use, making this piece of **** an inoperable brick.

You make a point there, I can buy used Athearn Blue Box locomotives for under $50, I bought a DCC D&RGW SD45 for $80 and an Athearn RTR GP40X for $90. No need to buy TFK when you can get cheap, used locomotives and cheap, used track at train shows.

This model like many made today on the cheap don't last, but this isn't unusual, and this reminds me of the stuff that Bachmann used to put out every year in time for the holidays. Their advertisements would show a young boy standing over his trainset with the latest product whizzing around. The problem is the models themselves were cheap and I mean really cheaply made not the price.

Even when I was a kid, I'd cringe inside while politely smiling when I received a Bachmann model or setup. One year I got the United Aircraft Turbo train for my birthday. The setup came with a cheap transformer, really, really cheap track, a rerailer that had so much flash on it that it was impossible to use, and the trains of course weren't much better. The UAC Turbo train in this kit had oversized TALGO type connectors for the individual coaches that coupled together about 1/4-inches apart from each other. When running the trainset, the motor was way too fast, and the units were way too light causing the train to derail or stall all the time due the train leading power unit was too light and only had one power-truck. Eventually, the couplers broke on a couple of coaches from derailing way too many times, and the engine could never be weighted down enough not only to keep it on the tracks, but also to help keep the unit powered.

Last edited:
I owned and operated a retail hobby store from 1997 to 2002. I could count on a very large number of trainsets and locos coming back "broken" or "does not work." The "general public" (mass consumer) stuff was awful even back then. Steam was bad... the drivers would bind, bend, and just plain get "stuck." I changed philosophy and started stocking higher end stuff and detail. Photo etch detail, decals, etc etc etc. Found out what the club guys wanted and had it on the shelf for them to grab....

Made the mistake of buying my son a large styrofoam glider airplane one time. We took it down to the school playground, and of course you can guess. First flight it came in nose down and a wing broke off. DUH! Bad idea!

Back