Can it be done?

chili46

Okay, I'm not complaining about anything here, so don't panic. ;)

You all know it is possible to attach a speed sign to the track. Duh! Well, I'm wondering if anyone has come up with or knows a way to attach a speed sign (and make it work) to a road? I've created some basic roads with different speeds (5 mph up to 70 mph in 5 mph increments) and that works, but it would be nice if I could attach a speed sign to a road and have it function the way they do on tracks.

TIA,
Chili

hi chili, what happens if you attach those roads(splines) with different speed
Fi 0---5mph---0----70mph---0 (do cars change speed then?)
then it would be just placing a sign a simple scenery item

hi chili, what happens if you attach those roads(splines) with different speed
Fi 0---5mph---0----70mph---0 (do cars change speed then?)
then it would be just placing a sign a simple scenery item

That's exactly what I'm doing now. To make a "smooth" speed change I need to have several sections of road. Going from 25 mph to 70 mph instantly isn't very realistic for most cars. My 5.7L Ram maybe, but not most cars. Locomotives have dynamics and slowly accelerate after a speed change and gradually slow down before a lower speed. That's kind of what I'm looking for.

Also, in order to do the multiple splines, I would need to clone all the roads I want to use and change the "traffic-speed" settings. Some roads can't be cloned and I get the error that the texture files are missing or corrupt. I'm sure all of the roads would need to be modified somewhat, but a single instance of a road that will accept multiple speeds would be better than multiple roads with different speeds.

Nit-picky? Yeah, maybe a little bit. Well, okay, A LOT. :hehe:

main thing you got it working, great job
maybe just live with the many types of roads and keep it simple
a road is a spline but not a real train track atm
can you give examples of roads (kuids) that can't be cloned?

main thing you got it working, great job
maybe just live with the many types of roads and keep it simple
a road is a spline but not a real train track atm
can you give examples of roads (kuids) that can't be cloned?

Almost anything that is built-in and with a build number less than 3.5. It has something to do with the texture files having changed from older versions to something else?

I try to stick to the built-in assets because I don't want to modify anything that other people have made and have EULAs even though the mod will most likely never leave my PC. Just want to be courteous to other peoples work. Those assets that I've changed in the past, I've been diligent about working with the original creator.

Here's an example:

Road Built-in <kuid2:36713:37300:1>

Resulting clone:

<kuid:324956:100114> : Validating <kuid:324956:100114> <kuid:324956:100114> : VE48: This asset uses an obsolete trainz-build number. Trainz-build numbers below 3.5 are no longer supported.
<kuid:324956:100114> : VE65: The *.texture.txt file is missing for texture resource 'road1-road1_tran.texture'.

There are more like this than there are ones that I can actually clone. There are multiple speeds which are just clones of the clone:

<kuid:324956:100104> IC-Dirt road 25mph
<kuid:324956:100103> IC-Dirt road no traffic
<kuid:324956:100138> IC-Road 5 with Centerline
<kuid:324956:101146> IC-Road 25 MPH
<kuid:324956:100138> IC-Road 5 with Centerline
<kuid:324956:101135> IC-Road concrete 2L 15mph

IC-Dirt road 25mph is a 3.7 build and it doesn't have any texture files. It does have a mesh-table. IC-Road 25 MPH is build 3.5 and also has a mesh-table and no texture files. So I'm assuming that any asset with texture files cannot be cloned without some kind of MAJOR modifications.

Made a few changes. The initial warning (warning, not fault) was the build number.

traffic-speed 11.18

username "RoadChili-25mph"
description "Road provided by G.M. for testing. Cloned and set speed to 25 mph"

<kuid:324956:100121> : Validating <kuid:324956:100121>
<kuid:324956:100121> : VE48: This asset uses an obsolete trainz-build number. Trainz-build numbers below 3.5 are no longer supported.

Changed the build number to 3.5. Lots of faults, but no warnings. Obviously, it won't work with all those faults. Changed the build number back to 1.5 (original value) and it works just fine. I guess in my need for perfection I was changing the build number when I should not have. :(

I'll try some of the other roads I was wanting to use and see if leaving the build number alone is okay.

I want to thank you for all the assistance and advice. You've been a big help (as always). Much apprecited.

Don't change the build number up.

The reason is that the asset was created in an older version and TRS19 will validate the asset based on the version it was created in. Today's assets have more requirements, therefore, there will be error messages if you up-version an older asset.

Regarding the .texture files. You can repair this error by using PEV's Images2TGA program.

PM2IM | Shane's Trainz Information and Tutorial Site (shaneturner.co.uk)

Install the software and follow the instructions.

Don't change the build number up.

The reason is that the asset was created in an older version and TRS19 will validate the asset based on the version it was created in. Today's assets have more requirements, therefore, there will be error messages if you up-version an older asset.

Regarding the .texture files. You can repair this error by using PEV's Images2TGA program.

PM2IM | Shane's Trainz Information and Tutorial Site (shaneturner.co.uk)

Install the software and follow the instructions.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

One more thought. There are several Invisible Roads with no traffic. What??? Please enlighten me. Why on earth would you want an invisible road and not have cars on it? By definition, if you don't want cars, you don't need a road, so why provide a road if you are not going to have any cars on it? Just curious as to why anyone would want these.

Could have been used long ago to allow 1 way traffic maybe
or some trick to split a road.
next someone makes an invisible road_PBR_seasonal with 14mb of unused textures :)

how is the traffic speed control going?

I've created 8 invisible one-way roads for freeways/interstates. There are 4 speeds from 55 to 70 and carrates of 10 and 20 second intervals. Pretty slick. I may make some at slower speeds for one-way city streets. That would be pretty cool too. Or that be used for city streets with trolleys running down the middle of the road. :cool:

As far as the speed control thingy, I've converted a few more visible roads and will just use short spline segments to slow down or speed up the cars. I only use that when the intersection/traffic lights are close to the train tracks. Carz on the far side of the map don't need special treatment. I use ATLS objects to control the flow of carz traffic at intersections and that works really good. So for the most part it's only eye-candy for when you run a train close to the roads.

That's a nice little project you started on. :)

You can turn any road into a one-way by adding or enabling the isfreeway tag and setting that to 1.

isfreeway 1 - enables one-way roads.

isfreeway 0 - disables one-way roads (default). If this tag doesn't exist, the road will default to two-way operation.

I turned one of Maddy's roads with a sidewalk on it into a one way so I could run trolleys in a grassy median between the two different road directions. It worked pretty snazzy.

After working with these road assets for a few weeks, I have some useful information to share with every one. The traffic-speed setting is grossly mis-interrupted. It is NOT MPH or KP/H but rather some fraction of the actual speed. So, here's the formula:

traffic-speed = mph x .4472
traffic-speed = kp/h x .2779

For 25 mph, the actual number would be 11.18. I tested this by having a road run parallel to a train and matched the car speed to the train speed (which I assume is correct).

Not that everyone is going to go into the config files and changes these, but if your interested in this sort of thing, then have fun with it.

25 mph = 40.2336 kp/h.

40.2336 / 60 / 60 = 0.011176

0.011176 * 1000 = 11.18 which is the number I came up with for the traffic-speed for 25 mph.

Using my formula, you can easily convert mph or kph into the correct number to put in the config file. What I was alluding to is that some config files were incorrectly set. A traffic-speed setting of 20 is NOT 20 mph - it is really 45 mph.

Made a few changes. The initial warning (warning, not fault) was the build number.

traffic-speed 11.18

username "RoadChili-25mph"
description "Road provided by G.M. for testing. Cloned and set speed to 25 mph"

<kuid:324956:100121> : Validating <kuid:324956:100121>
<kuid:324956:100121> : VE48: This asset uses an obsolete trainz-build number. Trainz-build numbers below 3.5 are no longer supported.

Changed the build number to 3.5. Lots of faults, but no warnings. Obviously, it won't work with all those faults. Changed the build number back to 1.5 (original value) and it works just fine. I guess in my need for perfection I was changing the build number when I should not have. :(

I'll try some of the other roads I was wanting to use and see if leaving the build number alone is okay.

I want to thank you for all the assistance and advice. You've been a big help (as always). Much apprecited.

Deleted comments. Looking for more information.

Last edited:
Back