A simple little thank you is enough.

Frank_Dean

I have been observing through the forum that many Trainz fans who ask for help, unknown kuids or advice on any problem.
When you answer them with a possible solution, there is a minority (10% of the trainzers), who do not answer you with a simple and small: THANK YOU.
When you ask for help in the forum and someone answers you, it is a rule of courtesy and gratitude to give a simple thank you or a positive comment. This is one of the reasons why very few help others, or get tired of helping by not receiving any kind words of thanks.

Welcome to tech-support, Frank.

This is the same in real life as it is on the forums. The only time I was thanked, and thanked well was when I worked an in-company helpdesk. It was then I was lavished with gifts nearly daily ranging from gift cards to the local donut shop, Cheesecake Factory, boxes of candy, and even lunches out.

I have been observing through the forum that many Trainz fans who ask for help, unknown kuids or advice on any problem.
When you answer them with a possible solution, there is a minority (10% of the trainzers), who do not answer you with a simple and small: THANK YOU.
When you ask for help in the forum and someone answers you, it is a rule of courtesy and gratitude to give a simple thank you or a positive comment. This is one of the reasons why very few help others, or get tired of helping by not receiving any kind words of thanks.

This is a longstanding issue, prevalent in the Gimmiepig group. I make sure to use my please and thank you when asking for something. Thanks for posting! :)

I don't mind the lack of acknowledgment (help support is a thankless task after all) but it is the lack of feedback - did your suggested solution work or not? This not only "helps the helpers" in fine-tuning their support but it also provides information for others who may be experiencing the same or a similar problem.

My thoughts.

I have always tried to express gratitude for the wealth of information and freeware provided by you guys and the forums. It seems a lot newer members dont really understand how far a simple please and thank you goes a long ways.

I will agree it would be nice they would say thank you as you didn't have to donate your time to help answer their question / concern (unless this is a job you do). A thank you also can serve that they received and read(?) your reply as well.
Although I do thank the responses I'll say it again but thank you for everyone for taking your time from something else to help someone who asked:)

Cheers

Perhaps N3V should thank you ,and the others, in the cadre of "helpers" who sustain the product.
Where would N3V be without you. I have suggested a small thank you to the the unpaid contributors of their time be attached to EACH newsletter from N3V. N3V employees employment depends on your contributions of knowledge and the time to process and publish questions/answers. Without you, this forum, and N3V may not exist.

Nothing has changed. I posted a similar thread back on March 19, 2021. I still continue to provide help when I can but I don't hold my breath waiting for a thank you. I do it because others have helped me and I make it a point to thank them. Do it because you're a good person. Hang in there.

My wish would be that people describe their issue/problem/queston more clearly and in more detail. You have to guess half the time what the problem is. Sometimes you can't even understand what is being asked. People somehow just expect you to read their mind.

I agree somewhat, but I try to keep in mind that for some, English is a second language, for some, their knowledge of Trainz is new and they aren't clear on the actual issue, and for some they have other conditions that make communication difficult.

I can't relate to how someone could ask for help, get the help.....or at least an attempt to help, and then not be considerate enough to say thanks. I know we shouldn't have ill thoughts toward people who do that, but I don't get it. Is it absent mindedness, or just being inconsiderate ? Hard to say. Somehow, IMHO, these values , which seem normal to us, aren't being passed down from parents to kids as much anymore. Sad.

My wish would be that people describe their issue/problem/queston more clearly and in more detail. You have to guess half the time what the problem is. Sometimes you can't even understand what is being asked. People somehow just expect you to read their mind.

After many years working unofficially (and unpaid) and then later as official (and paid) in-house tech support I can confirm that that is the normal for many people. You can sometimes get so frustrated with a particular problem (and that can be as simple as turning on the computer) that you can lose the ability to accurately describe the problem. The worst (and most amusing) example that I came across was a coworker who rang me to complain that the mouse was not working and none of the screen icons could be clicked. It turned out that the monitor had been turned on but not the computer. The screen icons showing were the default monitor controls (for that particular make/model of monitor) of brightness, contrast, reset, and other settings. Three months later the same person rang me with exactly the same problem. I could go on with other examples.

I always enjoyed those types of problems because they were usually so easy to fix that it made you look like a genius, and I often put on an act to show that this particular problem was a "serious issue". I also noticed that some IT support people lack patience with those who have these sorts of issues and, as a result, were often avoided when it came to asking for help - perhaps that was their objective.

So I never mind answering tech questions (or more often attempting to answer them). It is one way of saying "thanks" to those who answered my questions way back when I started using Trainz.

Back