TRS22 (TRS19, too) Map issues and suggested improvement

cressjl

The following issue has been around a while in Map Mode, since the days the zoom takes the user in and out of the Map Mode (e.g., TRS19 also):

1. Load up "Midwestern Branch - TRS19" Route, and the "Night of the Twister" Session.
2. Notice that you face two complicating factors: darkness and hard rain.
3. Realize how hard it is to actually see the junctions, much less set them, while not in Map Mode.
4. So, since you have to switch junctions, hit "m" to bring up Map Mode to set them.
5. There's the map, but it's way too small to see the yard, or any switches. Zooming in will be necessary.
6. Okay, just a little more...still can't see junctions...oh, wait, what's this blackness? White splats and streaks? Rain?
7. Oh, I'm back in the rainy night, but not where I need to be. What happened to the map? Where did my map go?
8. Then I try the plus/minus on-screen buttons...they don't do anything, scroll...the same...oh, well! It is nearly impossible to switch junctions in this night session.

All right. I have to admit that I have always despised this "feature." In fact, I despise it in Google Maps as well: you're in the Satellite layer, you try to zoom in, and suddenly you're in Street View whether you want to be or not. So, a simple fix would be a settings option to allow mode switching or not. For me, I NEVER want to scroll from map to realism mode or out to the map. I would LOVE to disable this "feature." I want "m" to get me both into and out of Map Mode, period, just like the good ol' days.

I am hoping that someone will respond, "Silly, didn't you see the option setting right over there...?" Thank you in advance to the one who can point out my nearsightedness!

Last edited:
I agree scrolling should be optional. Zooming in is really necessary in complex track areas such as yards and terminals where there's lots of switches that need changing. There's nothing worse than zooming in only end up on the ground instead of zooming in close.

There should be an option too to disable weather effects while in the map view.

I would also like to be able to disable viewing the red/green switch arrows which currently don't even disappear with the F5 key. Obviously, if you're driving the train yourself you need to be able to see them, but when I'm admiring the skill (or otherwise) of my AI drivers, I don't want to see them.

I would also like to be able to disable viewing the red/green switch arrows which currently don't even disappear with the F5 key. Obviously, if you're driving the train yourself you need to be able to see them, but when I'm admiring the skill (or otherwise) of my AI drivers, I don't want to see them.
You can do this by pressing CTRL+H (Command+H) while in Driver. I don't remember if there's a hot-key for this anymore in Surveyor.

I finally was able to get the SP update through the TRS22 Beta stream; the main stream kept failing. Of course, I went straight to the original post steps. Yes, things are different, and perhaps very slightly improved, but not really.
Thanks to everyone for your good responses.

Well, I have tried numerous sessions on various routes and have found them consistently frustrating when in a train yard with multiple parallel tracks (where sessions most likely start), and required switching. I find it impossible to zoom in sufficiently to really see the junction switches without ending up with even more clutter, and then back where I DON'T WANT TO BE ON THE GROUND! This is EXTREMELY frustrating, and a WASTE OF MONEY. I will not purchase a single other thing from N3V until this is fixed. This is absolutely unacceptable. It's a shame that TS12 remains the last version that actually works; I'm sure glad that I own 'em all...

Well, I have tried numerous sessions on various routes and have found them consistently frustrating when in a train yard with multiple parallel tracks (where sessions most likely start), and required switching. I find it impossible to zoom in sufficiently to really see the junction switches without ending up with even more clutter, and then back where I DON'T WANT TO BE ON THE GROUND! This is EXTREMELY frustrating, and a WASTE OF MONEY. I will not purchase a single other thing from N3V until this is fixed. This is absolutely unacceptable. It's a shame that TS12 remains the last version that actually works; I'm sure glad that I own 'em all...
Yeah, that map view is annoying. We've complained about that before and there's an ongoing thread on the subject somewhere around here.

Yes, it's frustrating, especially when N3V has a Black Friday discount on DLC. Why invest any more in a system that is so fundamentally unplayable?

By the way, the "workaround" is to go to roaming camera and rotate to top view before going to map view. This will align ground view with map view. 🙄

Yes, it's frustrating, especially when N3V has a Black Friday discount on DLC. Why invest any more in a system that is so fundamentally unplayable?

By the way, the "workaround" is to go to roaming camera and rotate to top view before going to map view. This will align ground view with map view. 🙄
It's more fun to sell DLC and come out with new versions than it is to fix things, unlike Colossal Order who has put new DLC releases on hold until they fix their new Cities Skylines 2. Yes, I know the old mantra that software isn't perfect, blah, blah, blah, but there comes a time when the sink needs to be unplugged and the roof needs new shingles instead of putting a pool in the back yard.

Thank you for the workaround. I must try that once I get my now defective copy of Plus operational yet again.

Just to add an extra poke, I want N3V to know that there are at least some of us that are waiting for these fixes before buying. I have nothing against TLR other than I will probably never use it, but I do have reservations about a company that pays no heed to needed fixes, and changes how things work or don't work without warning the loyal users. So I am not biting for the half-price offer you sent at this time, I am waiting to hear about FIXES! :)

Yup, N3V, you will lose sales because of the map view, inability to focus on yards to change switches...Major reason for me NOT to upgrade...I use that word with distaste...It is actually a downgrade. Totally unplayable,...

Back