Storage

moonshadow99

Hi, I’m guessing the question has been asked before, so forgive me. Trainz stores a lot of data on my ‘c’ drive in the following location c/users>Bob>appData/Local around about 40gb. This takes up an awful lot of space as the drive is only 250gb ssd solid state, can someone give me an idiots guide or a link to a previous thread on how I can move this data to my ‘d’ drive and the program runs from the new folder on my ‘d’ drive. Thanks in advance. Bob

From the TRS19 Launcher select Trainz Settings. Click the Install tab and then click the button marked "Instructions for moving your data". This will show you how to move your Userdata folder, which will be the vast bulk of the 40GB being used.

I understand that you can move the entire program to another drive without any problems but as I have never done this I am reluctant to advise you to do so. Others may have first hand experience of this.

I have used the instructions that Pware mentioned above and it has worked perfectly. Mind the warnings and just do as it says, and it should be fine. But, ever the caveat, Back everything up first!

pware gave good advice letting you know where to find the instructions.

Basically you move your userdata folder to the D drive and then simply point the app to it. After you get your data folder on D then:
- Start TRS-19
- From the opening screen select "Trainz Settings
- Click "Install" tab
- In the top field (Local Data Folder) just enter the path of your data folder (or use the nav tool to show TRS19 where the folder is)

I have several installs so I give my data folders meaningful names like: Standard Install, Plus Install, Plus Beta Install. The name of the folder doesn't have to be "cryptic" like the default is.

After doing this Quit and Restart. You may get the "set graphics" screen just as if it were a new game. If so, verify the path to D drive data folder is good and then Quit and start again. I find that sometimes I have to restart twice for it to really find the data folder.

I also run TRS-19 from my C drive. You might feel more comfortible doing a fresh install of the app on D and then just point it to your data folder with the restart(s).

As always, leave the install on your C drive intill you verify the folder copy to the D drive works as intended. Alway have an "escape" plan (ie: backup!)

Last edited:
Back