can not work it out

Herlev

hi guys
i like to tell you what my problem is
i have 2 drives on my laptop
c drive and d drive
i had trainz 2019 on the c-drive but it was getting low
on ram, so i wanted to move it to the d-drive.
so far went ok
i deleted trainz 2019 from c-drive to make more space on the c-drive.
now trainz 2019 is on the d-drive that when my problems starts
when i download items like loco and other items and install them to
trainz 2019 in d-drive it still make my ram memory lower on my c-drive
and does not effect my ram memory on my d-drive
last when i want to back up my trainz 2019 to my external hard drive
it only back up the originally trainz 2019 it does not back up my content
any help will be appreciated
kind regards
herlev'tonny

The drive where Trainz (e.g. trs19.exe) is installed and the drive where it stores all your assets (including downloads) can be completely different. To me it looks like you have moved the program (trs19.exe) and all its files to the D: drive but have left all the asset folders on the C: drive. These asset folders will (usually) take up more space than the program files.

What you need to do is move your User Data Folder (where all your installed assets are kept) to the D: drive as well.

You will find the instructions for doing this by:-
  1. from the Trainz Launcher window, select Trainz Settings
  2. Click on the Install tab. At the top of this tab you will find the location of your User Data Folder with all your installed assets. If it starts with C:\ then you will need to move it to D:
  3. Click the button labelled Instructions for moving your content...

The drive where Trainz (e.g. trs19.exe) is installed and the drive where it stores all your assets (including downloads) can be completely different. To me it looks like you have moved the program (trs19.exe) and all its files to the D: drive but have left all the asset folders on the C: drive. These asset folders will (usually) take up more space than the program files.

What you need to do is move your User Data Folder (where all your installed assets are kept) to the D: drive as well.

You will find the instructions for doing this by:-
  1. from the Trainz Launcher window, select Trainz Settings
  2. Click on the Install tab. At the top of this tab you will find the location of your User Data Folder with all your installed assets. If it starts with C:\ then you will need to move it to D:
  3. Click the button labelled Instructions for moving your content...
Hi
thanks for your reply.
i would like to ask you if you could guide me how to move the data folder
from c drive to d drive
i cant follow how to do that as i am 82 years old
kind regards
herlev

On your launcher, if you click "Trainz Settings" and then the "Install" tab, you will see a button named "Instructions for moving your content". It is very easy to follow step by step. I tried to simplify it, but found I was really not able to make it simpler.

Launch Trainz and click on Trainz settings. Click on the install tab at the top.
You will see a path under local data folder that ends with build *******.
Make a note of the build number (a mixture of letters and numbers)
Open your C drive.
Open users and select your name.
Open AppData and select Local.
Look for NV3Games and open.
Open your TRS19 folder and look for the folder that matches your build number
Copy the folder and paste it on your D drive.
Go back to Launch Trainz and settings/install.
In the path, you now need to set the new location.
Then do a DBR.

I just tried it to make sure that it works. It is fairly straight forward but the steps must be carried out in the correct order.

To repeat/modify the above instructions.
  1. Start Trainz
  2. From the Trainz Launcher select Trainz Settings
  3. Click the Install tab
  4. Highlight and copy (Ctrl+A followed by Ctrl+C) the address shown in the User Data box - but do not close the Trainz Launcher Settings window as you will need it again (step 11 below)
  5. Open Windows File Explorer
  6. Paste (Ctrl+V) the copied address into Windows File Explorer address bar - it should show a list of folders (backup, cache, editing, etc) and files
  7. Highlight and copy (Ctrl+A followed by Ctrl+C) all the folders and files shown
  8. Navigate to your D: drive and create and name a new folder with a name and location of your choosing (e.g. D:\trs19\UserData)
  9. Paste (Ctrl+V) the copied files and folders into the new location - this may take some time depending on how much data you have
  10. Highlight and copy (Ctrl+A followed by Ctrl+C) the new folder address you just created from the Windows File Explorer address bar
  11. Return to the Trainz Launcher Settings Window and paste (Ctrl+V) the new folder address into the User Data box so that it replaces the original address.
  12. Close the Trainz Launcher Settings Window - you will be given a message asking for a restart, acknowledge it.
  13. Close the Trainz Launcher
  14. Restart Trainz - you will probably get a dialogue asking you to set your display options (Ultra, etc). Select one to suit.
  15. Click Start Trainz
Once you are happy that the new setup is working you can delete the original user data folder on C: to reclaim its space BUT (and this is VITAL) do not delete the folder that contained the original user data folder (ie. its parent folder) as this will contain files that Trainz will need to locate your new user data folder.

Last edited:
hi
how do i find my train build number
i get so far where there are 6 different folders
i can not see witch one has my trainz build number
it makes me so sad
i tried to load the folders on to here but i can not do that
if i can maybe some of you could talk with me
either live or private message or by e-mail
i thank you all for your response
kind regards
herlev

The address shown in Step 4 above will give you the build number for your current version of TRS19. If you copy and paste it into the address bar of Windows File Explorer, Steps 5 and 6, then you will not need to worry about which folder is the correct one.

If, for some reason, you do need to know which folder belongs to your current version of TRS19 then the process is simple.
  1. Start Surveyor, load a current route, move something (e.g. a tree), save the route. Note the time at which you saved.
  2. In Windows File Explorer open the folder containing the 6 build folders, set the display details to show the date and time of each folder.
  3. The folder you want will be the one that has its Date Modified value set to the same time you saved your route.

Hi All
thanks for all your replies
so i have given up to fix the problem
i deleted every thing
and then did a new installation
told it to install on D-drive then i did all the update patches
when i then started the trains it still show on C drive when open
install all the update patches are all on the d-drive but not in the game
i have reinstalled my own route still there
so i do not know what to do next
i also got the file from that i was looking for but it is also just sitting there
on the d-drive
thanks all for your kind trying to help me
kind regards
herlev

You can install the "Program" - meaning the executables - to anywhere you want, but it still installs the data folder on the C: drive. That is why you have to manually move it. Unfortunately, N3V does not give us the option of actually installing the data folder to the desired drive. It seems like that would not be a hard thing for them to do.

You can install the "Program" - meaning the executables - to anywhere you want, but it still installs the data folder on the C: drive. That is why you have to manually move it. Unfortunately, N3V does not give us the option of actually installing the data folder to the desired drive. It seems like that would not be a hard thing for them to do.
Actually, it does. During the installation, the data-folder location is shown with the option to change it. Most people don't bother and use the default C: drive location.

so i have given up to fix the problem
Herlev, if it will help I am putting together a Wiki page that uses screen shots of all the steps needed to move the data folder to a different drive. It will be a few days before it is up and running. I will post here when it is ready for public viewing.

Back