Non-flashing switches

Gary_Evans

Still plays with Trainz
Has anybody ever created and uploaded a switch stand (junction, turnout) that doesn't flash when the direction is changed? I'm well aware that the lights on switches can be turned off/on with the show in-game help setting but I'm looking for a switch with a setting that will prevent the flash when the direction is changed. Why? Because 99.9% of my sessions are AI and I would like to eliminate the flashing when directions are changed. Is there such an item or am I totally out of my mind?

It would be nice, but as far as I'm aware of, its all coded in the game, so no rule or something will truely hide it when the AI changes the junction.
Maybe another member can update this, but for now..

Cheers

Has anybody ever created and uploaded a switch stand (junction, turnout) that doesn't flash when the direction is changed? I'm well aware that the lights on switches can be turned off/on with the show in-game help setting but I'm looking for a switch with a setting that will prevent the flash when the direction is changed. Why? Because 99.9% of my sessions are AI and I would like to eliminate the flashing when directions are changed. Is there such an item or am I totally out of my mind?

I assume you're talking about the ugly red and green arrows that appear every time a junction is accessed. According to N3V this change was requested by "some users" and apparently is graven in stone. I agree, it's extremely annoying when lurking trackside (especially at night), but apparently "some users" can't live without it. Requests to make turning it off as an option have been consistently ignored.

--Lamont

On normal points where you can see the levers indicating the direction, it is a redundancy having the flash. But on electrical points without the lever and without procedural track, the flash is needed, at least to me. But consider, there are many things that urgently need to be fixed. Fixing things require time, testing and trials. The developing team is limited. What you suggest is for this team to slow the work fixing what is obvious, for changing inner core functions quite hard to re-compose. My vote is for this to get looked at, but not on the expense of missing repairs to the many flaws we still have.
Ideally all we would want could be a manual selector to turn the function on or off, to please everyone.

On normal points where you can see the levers indicating the direction, it is a redundancy having the flash. But on electrical points without the lever and without procedural track, the flash is needed, at least to me. But consider, there are many things that urgently need to be fixed. Fixing things require time, testing and trials. The developing team is limited. What you suggest is for this team to slow the work fixing what is obvious, for changing inner core functions quite hard to re-compose. My vote is for this to get looked at, but not on the expense of missing repairs to the many flaws we still have.
Ideally all we would want could be a manual selector to turn the function on or off, to please everyone.

This used to work correctly. My concern is when things are "improved," thereby making them less useful. As far as points without indicators, I can see that a driver would need to know the position of an upcoming switch. But turning on the arrows provides this. It's being unable to turn off the arrows that is the problem.

Regarding this issue no one is asking N3V to add a new feature or fix a bug, simply to restore something to how it used to be (and used to work properly). As for how many other bugs need fixing, who knows? N3V no longer provides lists of what fixes/changes have been made. But then, we're only the users (i.e. customers).

--Lamont

This used to work correctly. My concern is when things are "improved," thereby making them less useful. As far as points without indicators, I can see that a driver would need to know the position of an upcoming switch. But turning on the arrows provides this. It's being unable to turn off the arrows that is the problem.

Regarding this issue no one is asking N3V to add a new feature or fix a bug, simply to restore something to how it used to be (and used to work properly). As for how many other bugs need fixing, who knows? N3V no longer provides lists of what fixes/changes have been made. But then, we're only the users (i.e. customers).

--Lamont

Sometimes, undoing something that was altered in the code is quite difficult to do without breaking another dependency even if the dependency isn't noticeable.

I agree, however, that perhaps having an option if possible would be great. That flash of green and red arrows does remove the aura and pushes us back to reality.

Back