Image storage for screenshots, recommendations needed

euromodeller

Imagineer
I have noticed a recent lack of image quality when using the Trainz Gallery for screenshots for the forums.

Do you have a recommended free alternative for me to use?

Many thanks in advance,

I use the tools within Windows either the snip and sketch tool or the screen capture from the gaming menu. Whichever you use you are sort of limited by the screen resolution you are capturing the image from. Peter

I use Imgur Graham and have done so for the past five years or more. It's easy to use and it's free. They do have a payware version with more bells and whistles, but I've never felt the need to use that.

I use the tools within Windows either the snip and sketch tool or the screen capture from the gaming menu. Whichever you use you are sort of limited by the screen resolution you are capturing the image from. Peter

The screen capture in game takes you to the Trainz Gallery and that's where the image quality alters.

I've not used the snip tool before, how do you get the image into the forum with it?

I have a thread on a German Website/Forum where I just transfer the image to my post as an attachment, that solves the problem and the image quality is maintained. Here you need a URL for the image.

Annie, I'll have a look at Imgur, thanks!

There is a thread in the Screenshot Forum (towards the top) which explains far better than I might, how to post images via a third party website to the forums. Peter

Thanks for your input Wilts and Annie, much appreciated.

It seems that I already had an alternative, but never realised I could get an image URL from it!

Testing for comparison....

From the Trainz Gallery...

Vectron-Diesel-Retro-Colours.jpg

from a 3rd party site...

retro-wolfgang_orig.png

The second image is much sharper and without colour bleed.

All I need to do now is to learn to use the site in a more organised way!

I always thought that the images shown on the site were too small, but if you right click the image you can then choose to open it in a new tab, which then shows the full-sized image!

The site is https://euromodeller.weebly.com/

Let me know if you too can see the difference,

Cheers and stay safe.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to your webste, Graham. I've had a look - impressive. I've often wondered about Weebly - at the moment I'm using WordPress but they changed their way of adding and editing and I'm not getting on with it too well. In addition there's so many emails wanting me to subscribe to a paid version and "enhance my business" when all I want is a hobby web site. Do you recommend Weebly from your experience with it?

Ray

Hi Ray,

It's a bit of a learning curve for me at the moment, all I have done is add screenshots.
I've seen lots of nice Trainz sites using Weebly and that is what influenced me.

It's free if you use their URL, but you can pay to have your own url.

Nothing to lose by giving it a try Ray, if you don't like it, just delete the free account.

****** I better go and read the instructions now that I've had a play with it. :hehe: ******

That sounds a good idea, Graham. My WordPress site has a lot of text which would need copying and pasting but trying things out would occupy a few hours instead of watching the snow come down!

Ray

Print Screen button on keyboard saves a copy to the screenshots folder and also the clipboard so you can paste it direct into PSP, Photoshop etc. Don't need to mess with screen snip tools etc unless you are not taking a full screen screenshot.

If I need to crop anything I just paste into irfanview and do it there, doesn't mess with the image quality also use irfanview to resize for forums that have an image size restriction such as British Trainz.

Trainz gallery presumably compresses the images uploaded to save space some other sites are now doing that as well, so I stick to Image shack which does cost but they don't mess with things.

Back