Bugs/Issues

Is there a place in here to report problems with routes (that prevent them being completed) or do I need to raise tickets each time?

I've come across a few now and it's starting to become really frustrating. :(

Not really. Bugs and problems have even been reported in some of the TRS19 plus beta threads and such, and in just general threads in this forum. Not much seems to happen in correcting sessions and sometimes it's not the fault of the session but the assets and asset versions or other things. For example, Tane sessions in TRS19: -It's not uncommon to have a signal on red that won't change. I just go into the session and edit the rules as needed. In this case, delete the rule that ends the game on passing a red light. I delete the rule, run the light, and move on. Sometimes I just abandon the session and drive my own. Non working sessions actually caused me to get into the driver/session rules and start learning. Then I started creating my own sessions. Turn a negative into a positive so to speak!

The good news is the new TCCP beta testing program which more people need to get involved with. If you have the appropriate version/build of Trainz you can test beta routes and sessions and report back directly to the creator.

See the "TCCP" forum and refer to the "beta tester" info here: http://info.trainzsimulator.com/tccp

Twowit2woo,
There is the Trainz Bug Report that you can use. Type that into your browser and you'll find the report. Just fill in the blanks on the report, and it goes to QA for checking. I've sent in many of them and you always get a response from QA.

Heinrich505

Twowit2woo,
There is the Trainz Bug Report that you can use. Type that into your browser and you'll find the report. Just fill in the blanks on the report, and it goes to QA for checking. I've sent in many of them and you always get a response from QA.

Heinrich505

You get a response from N3V concerning a freeware session? I have to admit, I've never turned in a freeware bug report expecting N3V to repsond. Curious if the response from QA gets the problem solved?

You get a response from N3V concerning a freeware session? I have to admit, I've never turned in a freeware bug report expecting N3V to repsond. Curious if the response from QA gets the problem solved?

The response is made then the bug is added to the list like a lot of things I'm sure. There was mention somewhere in the forums here by either Zec or Tony that the system is being changed so that the sessions and routes can be reworked more easily. As was mentioned, the routes and sessions are sent back to the route and session creators for repairs and updates. Whenever anything gets fixed, is anyone's guess.

The response is made then the bug is added to the list like a lot of things I'm sure. There was mention somewhere in the forums here by either Zec or Tony that the system is being changed so that the sessions and routes can be reworked more easily. As was mentioned, the routes and sessions are sent back to the route and session creators for repairs and updates. Whenever anything gets fixed, is anyone's guess.

Yes.. that's the TCCP program I mention just a post or two above... I've beta tested 4-5 routes and multiple sessions. TCCP beta testing should improve things going forward but won't help any existing sessions.

Yes.. that's the TCCP program I mention just a post or two above... I've beta tested 4-5 routes and multiple sessions. TCCP beta testing should improve things going forward but won't help any existing sessions.

Okay, nice, yeah, but why not rework the old ones through the system? It's very fitting and typical that only the shiny new objects get the tender love and care while everything else gets tossed. This seems to be the way with a lot of things here.

The worst thing I found during the beta-testing process when I did some route testing is I would report problems and they were never fixed. A good example is the caved in road bridges, fences, and inoperable ATLS crossings on the Mojave Desert route. These issues are not terribly difficult to repair and being quite obvious would have been a nice fix to the route.

Okay, nice, yeah, but why not rework the old ones through the system? It's very fitting and typical that only the shiny new objects get the tender love and care while everything else gets tossed. This seems to be the way with a lot of things here.

The worst thing I found during the beta-testing process when I did some route testing is I would report problems and they were never fixed. A good example is the caved in road bridges, fences, and inoperable ATLS crossings on the Mojave Desert route. These issues are not terribly difficult to repair and being quite obvious would have been a nice fix to the route.

If you can convince the route/sessions creators to do that (rework the old ones) - good for you. :) Go look at the excitement and activity on the TCCP forum. (Sadly, there is little to none.)

You need the latest release under Plus beta I believe. The file format changed. This is explained in the signups and descriptions of TCCP somewhere.

Twowit2woo,

Heinrich505

That's useful to know.

I have been reading around a lot and because I'm new here I'm currently unsure what constitutes a bug and what to report.

I know what a bug is as far as I'm concerned. If I spend my hard earned cash on something and things don't work out of the box then I call that a bug. However as mentioned above by 1611mac, it appears quite common to have lights stuck on red so it makes me wonder if it is worth reporting?

Issues I have had include:
Canadian Rocky Mountains (Westbound Coal) - My train reaches a particular point and just derails. The coach at which it derails is random, it seems more to be a point on the map. There is no junction or anything else there - just rail. i did report this one and it has been escalated but it is not possible to move beyond that point and therefore complete.

Cornish Mainline and Branches (Mainline Passenger Service) - I got all the way to the end and the game did not finish. I googled this and someone had uploaded a video of gameplay so I could see that in their session the blue game marker was there whereas it wasn't in mine. I tried this from scratch a second time but again the blue marker is just not there making it impossible to complete. (Second time around I also saw two decoupled AI trains as well.)

Cornish Mainline and Branches (Helston Passenger Run) - Got to a red light - never changes

C&O Hinton Division (Thurmond Empties) - Camera view broken (won't switch - comes up with error.) Reported that and told it is a known problem with no fix in sight

C&O Hinton Division (C&O 2-6-6-6 H8 - New River Mining Coal Run) - Got to a red light - never changes

Midwestern Branch (Night of the Twister) - Got to a point where had to decouple. Did that and it did not register so cannot complete.

So based on all of that, is my experience actually normal would people say?

I'd suggest that before assuming anything you may need to check for updates on the DLS, search out of date, for DLS items just download for Builtin or DLC right click, view asset versions and download the latest version from there, should show as Available for download, click the header to sort the list. There may well be fixes applicable to the route on the DLS, there may not but it pays to check first.

With the shoe on the other foot sometimes it could be a DLS update that's causing a problem or a builtin or Payware asset that's somehow showing as locally modified, fix for that is right click revert to original.

1611mac,
I took the poster to mean he was finding sessions from the purchased game that weren't working right. You get a response from N3V when you use the bug report to advise them of problems with the sessions that come in the game and the ones you can purchase from N3V.

No, you won't get a response from N3V for problems with freeware sessions. For that, you have to contact the author of the freeware route or session. Perhaps I should have been more specific.

Twowit2woo,
It is a good tool to report those problems with the N3V game routes and sessions. It puts the QC guys on notice, but as JCitron notes, not everything reported gets acted upon. I've also reported those same problems with the Mojave route, and they've yet to be fixed. I'm sure there is a priorities list and that is where the QC attention is directed. If no one ever reports the bugs they find, then you can be sure that they'll never be fixed, as QC won't even have them on their radar.

So, I'd say go ahead and report them on the bug report. It's kind of like the lottery. If you buy a ticket, you probably won't win the lottery, but if you don't buy a ticket, you can be sure you won't win.

Hi All
For DLC packs, the first port of call would be to report to the helpdesk in this case. Sometimes the issue is known, and we'll let you know in this case. If it isn't a known issue, then we'll be able to put a report in so that it gets looked into.

Please note, in the majority of cases it will be up to the original creator to provide us with an update. We will normally report issues to the creator for them to look into. Where a DLC pack has sessions made by us, we will try to look into it, but it can still take a while to fix issues. Some very old DLC packs may not be updated for newer releases but are generally made available so that the route and any content included are still available.

However if you are using a beta test release of Trainz, it is generally best to report issues via the bug report form, as this ensures that we can verify if it is a bug in that beta test build or not.

If you are beta testing via TCCP, then any issues should be reported via the bug report system in TCCP.

Regards

1611mac,

So, I'd say go ahead and report them on the bug report. It's kind of like the lottery. If you buy a ticket, you probably won't win the lottery, but if you don't buy a ticket, you can be sure you won't win.

Love that analogy :)

Haven't even got into freeware. All the bugs are in the paid for version

Back