First crash to desktop. Unwanted milestone.

It's been a bit of a learning curve for me kc since I've been using TS2012 for ages, but I've got used to the changes and I'm liking working in TS2019 surveyor. At the essential heart of it all it's still the same old surveyor it's always been so now I'm used to the menus it's game on just the same as usual.

I guess too we have have to remember that Trainz is running in Microsoft Windows and that in itself can be a risk.

We have to remain calm and remember that it's surprising that any of this works at all especially on Microsoft Windows! :)

Yup it's the same as it always been which is a good thing with a few extras.

I was having issues with my version of TRS 19 frequently crashing to the desktop following the Beta uploads. Also, I encountered a lot of other bugs with assets doing all sorts of weird things. After a quick discussion with N3V I solved all of those issues by changing the compatibility mode (settings, Dev) from 'Maximise Performance' to 'Maximise Compatibility'. Problems fixed; give it a try.

Regards
Bob

Thanks Bob. I always run Trainz in 'Maximise Compatibility' mode since I have so many old legacy locomotives in TS2019 so I haven't struck that particular problem. I tend to stay right away from beta streams as well.

I'm just amazed that you had such a reliable install of 2012, it never worked well for me , on the Mac waiting around for it to do database repairs which generally seemed to take forever was a cross one just had to bear but other than that it generally behaved itself, although it did crash to desktop quite a bit, but on windows it just more or less was a mess, I could never get it to work properly on windows 8 , I even reinstalled it and tried it out on 10 to run some older routes I missed like Avery Drexel which were locked in TANE and it was constantly crashing, freezing, a nightmare. As soon as TANE was a feasible proposition I fled to it in relief.

I've had a really good run with TS2012 Dan. I've taken my TS2012 install across 3 different computers from Win 7 to Win 10 and it's just always worked. I think I've done 4 database rebuilds and the last one was due to a sudden power cut during a storm, but I have a UPS now so hopefully that won't happen again. Every so often I defragment the TS2012 folder which helps performance. The folder is 190Gb in size by the way.

I've had a really good run with TS2012 Dan. I've taken my TS2012 install across 3 different computers from Win 7 to Win 10 and it's just always worked. I think I've done 4 database rebuilds and the last one was due to a sudden power cut during a storm, but I have a UPS now so hopefully that won't happen again. Every so often I defragment the TS2012 folder which helps performance. The folder is 190Gb in size by the way.

TS12 was pretty stable once the validation is done. With my then 192,000 assets, the process would me 14 hours. The validation process spent 45 seconds on each asset until completed. I complained loudly in the forums about that. The process went away, pretty much so, with T:ANE and up.

As far as operation goes, I've spent up to 10 hours at a time in TRS2019 Surveyor. In case you're wondering, I didn't sit at my computer for that long, but left it open and did something else like practice the piano. When I came back to Surveyor, the program was still there and ready to go. I've done the same with TRS2019 as well. I was surveying last night for well over 4 hours without a hitch in Plus. I went to bed, logged into today and continued. The route is my own ancient one and I've merged in a section of an older version I liked and now I'm relaying track and replacing trees and buildings. I also had a big laugh too at my landscaping!

But anyway, when the program works it works well.

I'm glad you're on a UPS. I just replaced mine which died due to failed electronics inside, otherwise, I would have replaced the battery for a lot less. When my system crashed during a storm outage, it ruined my Trainz data and I lost some WIP routes including the one I had open. For some reason they got eaten. I was able to restore from backup and continue, but I lost a lot progress on these routes. I will admit though I used this time to weed out some non-starters I began but never did anything with.

Back