About Purchasing TRS19

bnsfc

Steam Nut
So! I see that TRS19 is on sale and I am thinking of picking it up, however I've got a few doubts/ questions about it.

T:ANE, to put it bluntly, has never worked right for me. While i expect bugs with all games i play ( tis the nature of gaming nowadays, and it keeps the blood pressure down) It always seemed to find new ways of annoyance. First off i bought it after finally getting a new comp that could run something other than minecraft and TRS2006 (witch also had its share of problems for me but that's a story for another time) and one of the selling points to me was multiplayer, something i was able to use once with every map included (I had the deluxe edition) and then promptly broke because it thought I modified them, somehow.. To this day I've only ever been able to play a MP session with 1 other person ( it was one i started myself) and he turned out to be a griefer, derailed every train he could, and left before i realized what he did.

Then there is the countless times the map i was driving a train on erased itself so all that was left was track floating in air and was contagious requiring a restart of the drive. Then there is the (still present) control loss where is you try to double head 2 steam loco's/ switch camera targets while in view 4 too much, you lose keyboard controls and have to use the sliders on the side. The myriad of sound bugs also hurts weather it be the 3 stage whistle effects having a big ugly pause in them, sound files cuting in and out while a train pass's, the Doppler effect ether not working or just playing everything at full blast as soon as said source renders, etc.

To round this section up, [1]is TRS19 as buggy/broken. [2]Are any/ all of these problems still in there? [3]Is there any new fun and interesting ways the program gives up on? [4]Is MP still even a thing?

To finish off this Question that turned into a semi rant,[5] how is compatibility between TANE content and trs19? I've seen that some routes take some fixing, witch is fine, [6]but I'm more talking about JR and K&L content. There excellent loco's and cars are almost the only reason I'm still playing and of they didn't transfer easy well, kind of a deal breaker.

I know this looks a bit ranty (because it is) but i just want to make sure I'm not walking into another field of upturned rakes with a new trainz game. I do love the series and the community behind it but TANE has worn me down and i don't want to start that process over again with a new game. Thank for reading.

Any content you have in T:ANE will load fine in TRS2019. It's a bit sketchy with stuff prior to that.

With that said you'll be all set with your JR and K&L content if it already works in T:ANE.

There is multiplayer, but I have no idea how good it is or not since I've never used it.

There are various "flavors" of TRS2019 ranging from the base program, some stripped down specific content versions, and a silver, gold, platinum, and Plus. Plus is actually a new version that's in perpetual beta with some of the features found in plus finding their way into TRS2019-Platinum such as the unified driver-surveyor interface where you can jump from Surveyor right into Driver and back, which is awesome for route building and testing -- quick drive has been integrated so there's no jumping out. It just changes with stuff paused (our request) from Driving back to Surveyor.

The sounds seem to be better and the graphics are much better. In some ways, TRS2019 is what T:ANE was supposed to be. You need to adjust lighting on your routes, if you import any, into '19, any version. In fact overall the performance is better even with the same settings version to version when comparing T:ANE to TRS2019.

As you are aware, it has its moments, but that's Trainz and most software including Windows.

It's also on sale right now with a substantial savings.

I've had TRS19 since Oct 2018 pre-release. It is my first Trainz experience. The best summary I could give is: Some seem to have no problems with '19 while others report issues. I have a normal install and a '19 Plus beta stream install and both run fine for me. But you must be willing to keep your content in good working condition. For example, I have no idea why but sometimes when I download a route some of it's assets will be "open for edit." So the first thing I do after a download is check for that. If you are willing to do a little maintenance and a little learning to keep things straight my belief is that you should be fine. But every user seems to have a different experience. My best tip: On Tane routes opened in '19 reset your environment lighting. Things will look MUCH better.

For the most part, all T:ANE should work fine in TS2019. I have only had two major issues. The first appears to be common, is that older routes brought into TS2019 sometimes have assets floating up in the air. There must be some change in the way TS2019 handles ground level or something. The other thing I found is that I started prototype route work based on some version 1.5 UTC and 2.0 TRS terrain models on the DLS, and bringing those into 2019 has created great rifts in them. They are to the extent that I don't think I can fix them with the remedies I have seen posted, so those prototype routes may be out the window. One other minor issue, a small rant for me, is T:ANE seemed to replace obsoletes fairly invisibly, at least I never noticed it. In TS2019 the status changes to "Newer version available", but you can't right-click and download, you have to right-click and list all the asset versions and THEN download the new one. Needless to say with that method you can only queue one at a time instead of selecting them all and selecting download.

With all that being said, I don't find myself going back to T:ANE much now that I have 2019. I mostly look to it as a possible source of missing assets, to check there first and then look elsewhere. But I don't play it much anymore.

Edit. I have been downloading newer versions all day, and I now have 61 PBR textures with new versions available. I will be downloading them one at a time, for a long time....

Last edited:
I usually run TANE routes in TANE and TRS19 routes in TRS19. There is so much to choose from, and they look so much better than the older routes. Works for me.

For the most part, all T:ANE should work fine in TS2019. I have only had two major issues. The first appears to be common, is that older routes brought into TS2019 sometimes have assets floating up in the air. There must be some change in the way TS2019 handles ground level or something. The other thing I found is that I started prototype route work based on some version 1.5 UTC and 2.0 TRS terrain models on the DLS, and bringing those into 2019 has created great rifts in them. They are to the extent that I don't think I can fix them with the remedies I have seen posted, so those prototype routes may be out the window. One other minor issue, a small rant for me, is T:ANE seemed to replace obsoletes fairly invisibly, at least I never noticed it. In TS2019 the status changes to "Newer version available", but you can't right-click and download, you have to right-click and list all the asset versions and THEN download the new one. Needless to say with that method you can only queue one at a time instead of selecting them all and selecting download.

With all that being said, I don't find myself going back to T:ANE much now that I have 2019. I mostly look to it as a possible source of missing assets, to check there first and then look elsewhere. But I don't play it much anymore.

Edit. I have been downloading newer versions all day, and I now have 61 PBR textures with new versions available. I will be downloading them one at a time, for a long time....

I've had the divots and spikes in TRS2009 - TS12 as well as T:ANE and TRS2019. It used to occur randomly, but seems to be related to some textures along the borders of baseboards.

The floating in air assets with no ground when importing an old route is a bug in TRS2019, and N3V is aware of it. For us with previous versions, opening up an older route in TS12 or T:ANE and saving it in that version allows us to import older routes. I just did that with a route I created in January 2004 and it worked fine, although I did have a good laugh at my texturing and trackwork.

The can't download all applies to built-ins and payware. There is no issue with regular content. You can select a bunch of payware and built-ins, right-click and view version just the same. You'll then get all that can be downloaded. I sort by status so I can group them all in one place in Content Manager.

Thanks John. I actually found that when I went to the new downloads in CM, they were all there to download all at once. Now I am wondering why only two items downloaded overnight and it is crawling at less than 1.4KB/sec. On my route issue, the original DEMs were corrupted, so I will try importing the actual saved one I was working on. I did notice that the TRS versions were version 2 and the UTC versions were version 1.5, so I am wondering what the differences are.

Back