Copying and pasting scenery from one layout to another?

autodctr

Is this possible? I seem to have read somewhere that that is possible. If so, can someone shed some light on how to do it?

I didn't know if that's possible - must try and see. I assume using the copy tool in one route, closing and pasting in another. I know this can be done with session rules and driver commands.

Not possible, the copy buffer is cleared when starting a new route and you can't have two route different routes open at the same time.

William

You can do what has always been possible, merge two routes and then copy and paste. Then delete one of the routes. I've always done this to create what I call palette routes. I add one of more blank baseboards to a route I like and copy and paste to the blank boards. Then delete the old route part and save the new baseboards as a palette route. When I start a new route, I load the palette route as a starter piece and add new baseboards to start building on. When I have finished the new route I delete the palette route part.

William

This is one of my texture palettes using 3D Trains Protextures. They done look good in TRS19 with the new lighting model but still work fine in TANE. I can cut and paste whole sections or just pick the individual textures.

https://www.screencast.com/t/OVF0GJryAIn

Here is my tracklaying palette board for NG routes.

https://www.screencast.com/t/jtBCql4bF

Last edited:
You can do what has always been possible, merge two routes and then copy and paste. Then delete one of the routes. I've always done this to create what I call palette routes. I add one of more blank baseboards to a route I like and copy and paste to the blank boards. Then delete the old route part and save the new baseboards as a palette route. When I start a new route, I load the palette route as a starter piece and add new baseboards to start building on. When I have finished the new route I delete the palette route part.

William

This is one of my texture palettes using 3D Trains Protextures. They done look good in TRS19 with the new lighting model but still work fine in TANE. I can cut and paste whole sections or just pick the individual textures.

https://www.screencast.com/t/OVF0GJryAIn

Here is my tracklaying palette board for NG routes.

https://www.screencast.com/t/jtBCql4bF

That's what thought and do.

At one time Tony said that there was a series of key strokes that would build a picklist from a route's objects and rolling stock. I just can't remember it.

William

At one time Tony said that there was a series of key strokes that would build a picklist from a route's objects and rolling stock. I just can't remember it.

William

Yeah. I can't remember that either. The picklist is great, but it doesn't keep the assets lined up and placed when they're copied. It's like so what. I think it's important to keep the layout of the assets the way we have them laid out. This would be useful for street lights, tree clumps, etc.

Thanks Peter but that isn't what I'm trying to remember. This was something Tony said in a newsletter I believe from a few months back. From what I remember it was like the CM method of showing the dependencies of a route then automatically adding them all to a picklist but it was just one step in Surveyor or CM using a keyboard shortcut.

Great work on the Wiki.

William

I have a method that I've used for several years. Each time I started a new route, I added several blank baseboards to it, created a new set of copy & paste items, and added them to these temporary baseboards. This worked well during the route construction. When the route was complete, I deleted these baseboards, and uploaded the route.

The problem is that I had to do this all over again when starting a new route, so I decided to try something different. I put together several baseboards, called it "Mergeable Content" and saved it as a new route. I then recreated all of my Copy & Paste items on the mergeable route.
I grouped together residential structures, along with commercial and industry capable items. In addition, I have several copy & paste sets of trees with brush & textures. I also have several copy & paste towns that I use on my routes. These towns are approximately 1700 ft (518 M) X 3700 ft (1128M). I install a street down the middle of the town with sidewalks. On each side. I use Dave Snows commercial store fronts on both sides of the street . In TRS19, I can copy & paste the entire town which includes roads, structures foliage, and textures. I have several of these copy & paste towns for different parts of the country.

The only drawback is that you have to keep this mergeable route updated. If you add something new, you must add it to the mergeable route, and re merge it with your current route in progress so as to insure that you'll have you have it saved for future projects.

Joe

Perhaps the simplest solution is for the surveyor window to be non-modal. This would allow more than one instance of surveyor to be open and displaying two different routes. Of course, this would require a bear of a PC.

William

But isn't this kind of what MP Surveyor does? I'm not one of the anointed testers. Can anyone say if while in a MP surveyor session can one user copy and paste from another user's area?

Last edited:
Back