Overiding AI Speed Limits?

boleyd

Some AI speed limits do not make sense and others are to dramatic. Is there a way to have the program ignore these artificial speed limits?

However, there is a subset of speed settings that are needed. Those might be where the train is approaching a RED or YELLOW signal. If the customer were to manage these it would be akin to driving the train.

Some AI speed limits do not make sense and others are to dramatic. Is there a way to have the program ignore these artificial speed limits?

I will assume that by "AI speed limits" you are referring to the slowdown to about 50% of the posted speed limit that AI trains experience a long way before they encounter a STOP or CAUTION signal?

My way around this has been to place an invisible signal a few hundred metres ahead of the actual signal. If the actual signal is at CAUTION then the invisible signal (which will be the signal seen by the AI) will be at PROCEED. If the actual signal is at STOP then the invisible signal will be at CAUTION which may also cause the AI to slow down well ahead of the signal. In which case another invisible signal ahead of the other invisible signal solves that issue.

When you think about it, the invisible signals are taking the place of visual clues that real drivers use when approaching a signal that is not at PROCEED.

yes, that's what I use too but it should not be required. Trainz slow down correctly when approaching a lower speed limit, why can't they when approaching a caution signal?

Cheers,
Bill69

I think the issue here is how far in the distance the train slows down. A slow speed or yellow should have a radius of action, if you want to be sophisticated, related to the speed of the consist. As it is now, you have to resort to tricks using invisible signals. This is fine with yellows, but not on speed signals. Anyhow it needs to be revamped and it should have been already.

Back