Bulk update object Bound Layer property

hotchillies

I'm trying to replace track in bulk to get better FPS...

It's possible to change the Bound Layer property of sections of track. This is useful if you want to create/copy a session for a payware/locked route and edit the object. I would like to do this in bulk e.g. via something like the Bulk Asset replace screen so I can swap out frame rate unfriendly track with more performant tracks. I get anywhere from 14 FPS with some tracks and 25+ FPS when replaced with others. But that screen only allows you to move objects to a different layer (not the Bound Layer property) which then forces you to save a new route. I don't want a new route, just a new session copied from an existing one where I can tweak the tracks.

Is there some other way of doing this I'm missing? I may be missing the obvious here somewhere but I'm new to this and trying to understand the process.

You are correct, the Bulk Asset Update/Replace tool cannot alter the <bound layer> property of assets, only their <base layer> property. The bound layer should not matter unless you have locked that layer in which case it will stop the update/replace process.

I suspect that you may be confused over the issue of routes and sessions. Track is normally part of a route, it will be in one of the route layers. I have never come across a layout where the tracks are in a session and I suspect, from past experience, that it would cause problems if it was.

If you make any changes to the track (even if that change is to move a single spline point by just a few centimetres) then you have changed the route and you will have to save the route - hence its insistence that you save the route. This can be saved as a new route or saved over the top of the old route and replace it - the choice is yours. (I do not understand why you have not been given the option to replace the route)

Since I do not know what layers you have created and are using I will offer some general advice.

1. All track, track objects (signals, switches, speed signs, tunnels, bridges, turntables, active industries, etc) should be in the top route layer named "route-layer". That layer should be unlocked before using the Bulk Asset Update/Replace Tool.
  2. Never place any track objects in a layer that is higher than the layer containing the track.

Once that has been achieved, the Bulk Asset Update/Replace tool should then have no trouble making the replacement and the route will have to be saved.

Thanks pware. I think I was making it overly complicated.

I believe all I need to do is save one of the payware sessions which will create a new route with session, then i can make all the changes I want to the new one. Ultimately I just want to replace faulty assets, increase fps, add extra track marks and signals to yard tracks so I can have AI running around in a single persistent driver session I can tinker about with endlessly.

I love the idea of dispatching AI on various jobs, coming back to session another day and marshaling the same cars back to various locations ready for the next day and so on.

I'm not sure its possible, but ideally if I forget to edit the base session I'd like to be able to fix it and the changes to filter down into the driver session. For example say I'd forgotten to add some driver command, I do not think I can add it so it appears in the linked driver session. I'm not sure why this is, I don't think there is a reason why this should not be possible.

Thanks for that clarification. Editing payware routes/sessions has always been a "hot topic" of discussion in these forums. Many users believe, with justification, that since they paid for the route they should have the right to make the changes they want and many creators who, again with justification, want to prevent the illegal distribution of their work. With Trainz releases up to TANE it was impossible to locally edit and save DLC routes/sessions. Prior to the release of TRS19 there was some "talk" that some of this restriction may change but since I have no DLC routes/sessions for TRS19 I am unable to say how hard or easy it is to edit DLC on TRS19 - but I would suspect that even if the policy has changed for TRS19, that change would not apply to pre TRS19 DLC.

Back