Editing Sessions

Lewiscc65

When I edit the session sometimes I forget to set the route to locked mode. After making changes and then trying to safe, it wants to save a new route because I moved something on the route. Is there a way to have it locked by default?

When I edit the session sometimes I forget to set the route to locked mode. After making changes and then trying to safe, it wants to save a new route because I moved something on the route. Is there a way to have it locked by default?

It's probably not a good idea to 'lock-out' your route, as this is the basis for your session anyway. Some time down the track, you'd be noticing things missing from either the route or session.

For everything to function correctly, it is far better to build your route (layout) totally with the landscape, tracks, signals, roads, buildings, etc in place. Once complete and at this stage, I would delete any default sessions that may have eventuated.

Then start creating and naming your session, which now includes rolling-stock, drivers, commands, environment, etc.

If you are 'editing a session' and you happen to move an asset or add another one, you would want that to also appear on your route.

If you wanted the session to show a different layout structure, then you really need to create a special route for it.

Cheers,
Roy

Over the years I learned the hard lesson. And came to the conclusion that what Roy says is the proper way to handle all this. Be careful and use your logic and if you do as he stated, you'll have less problems down the road.

Over the years I learned the hard lesson. And came to the conclusion that what Roy says is the proper way to handle all this. Be careful and use your logic and if you do as he stated, you'll have less problems down the road.

Me too and this is the process I use as well.

Now if we can have some kind of indicator to say which layer and which mode we're in so we don't get mixed up if we happened to take a break or get interrupted then come back to editing.

I have a feeling the OP is referring to the 'Route' layer, when editing a session. And yes, I have also been caught out when accidentally nudging a tree or some other route layer object while working on a session. Overwriting the route is no big deal when it is your own, but if you are developing / editing a session for another author's route you may not always wish to create a new version of that route under your own kuid.

With all that said, with SP2 I thought I noticed the route layer being locked by default when editing a session. Not sure if this a new default or was just related to how the session in question was last saved.

John

With all that said, with SP2 I thought I noticed the route layer being locked by default when editing a session. Not sure if this a new default or was just related to how the session in question was last saved.

I have not noticed that so I suspect that it was the result of manually locking the route layer before it was saved and not a "feature" of SP2.

... After making changes and then trying to safe, it wants to save a new route because I moved something on the route. ...
Unless you have created, edited or moved something in the Route Layer, the Save Command will not even bring up "Save Route".
If you have inadvertently moved something that was previously created in the Route Layer, the Save Command will bring up "Save Route".
If you go with the defaults, it will not "save a new route". It will just overlay the Route you were working on.

For everything to function correctly, it is far better to build your route (layout) totally with the landscape, tracks, signals, roads, buildings, etc in place.

Then start creating and naming your session, which now includes rolling-stock, drivers, commands, environment, etc.

Cheers,
Roy

I never use multiple Sessions for any Route. One Route - One Session.
I put everything into the Route Layer.

When I want to make changes to the "creation" (adding track, rolling stock, textures, industries, etc), I ...
  • Select the Route
  • Select the (only) Session
  • Edit Session
  • Click Layers and select Route layer.
I do use multiple Route Layers so that I can eg. lock an MU to get at an overlaying building.

To each his own.

That 'something on the route' no doubt belongs on the session layer, consist for instance.

I never use multiple Sessions for any Route. One Route - One Session.
To each his own.

I have never had any problems creating multiple sessions from a single route.

If you can build a decent route and you don't need to make any changes to it; then it is a simple matter to set up a number of different scenarios for people to enjoy. For each session, (and even if they have nothing to do except sit in the driver's cab) I try to give them something of interest, so that they come back again for another ride.

But, as you said "To each his own".

Cheers,
Roy

Compounding the confusion, some assets such as Portals require the route be unlocked for changes in the session.

Form the habit of checking the layers tab on opening a session for edit to make sure it is the session layer that is selected. When ready to save, go back to the layers tab and ensure the session layer is selected. I find that eliminates the "save route" issue.

If you open a session for edit from the main control panel, it usually comes up with the route locked. If you open the session from Content Manager, however, the route layer will be unlocked, so watch that.

:B~)

If you open a session for edit from the main control panel, it usually comes up with the route locked.

:B~)

The "locked" status of any Layer when entering Surveyor is dependent on the status when the Route/Session was last saved.

The "Active" status of any Layer when entering Surveyor is dependent on how you got into Surveyor.
If you Select Route - Edit Route, the Active layer will be the Route Layer.
If you Select Route - Select Session - Edit Session, the Active layer will be the Session Layer.

Under Route I have an "immovable" Layer. I keep this layer locked.
When I open a Session for Edit from the main control panel...

Route Layer - Unlocked - Not active Layer
Immovable Layer - Locked - Not active Layer
Session Layer - Unlocked - Active Layer

I then make the Route Layer the Active Layer and "work on stuff".

If you can build a decent route and you don't need to make any changes to it ...
Cheers,
Roy
That's the part that gets me. I cannot comprehend building a complete Route and not needing to make any changes to it. It boggles my mind.

Every Route I've ever created is always a work in progress. I can always find a need for another industry or a rerouting of tracks and sidings.

The closest I've come to a completed Route is replicating the Tampa Rockport/Mosaic section. I just used/placed industries,yards, roads that actually existed per Google Maps. But even there, I did it in pieces - placing some track/industries/yards/trains and testing. Placing more track/industries/yards/trains and testing, etc.

Eventually I get bored and move on to something else. So, I guess I never have what I consider to be a completed/decent Route.

Every Route I've ever created is always a work in progress. I can always find a need for another industry or a rerouting of tracks and sidings.

Which reflects the real world. Real railways change over time. New industries appear requiring new sidings, older industries close or change and their sidings are no longer needed, branch lines are "rationalised", etc, etc.

The routes that I create are "snapshots" in time. They show how the line looked and operated at a particular point in time. With my last creation just a few years either side of the year I selected would have seen some significant changes to the layout, and 30 years later half the line and all but one of its industries were gone.

On the question of multiple sessions, I agree with Roy. Multiple sessions are a great way of showing the full operations of a line. For example, what if the bulk of freight traffic was during the daylight hours and only through passenger service was at night, as was the case with my last route? But, as you say, each to her/his own.

Back