Content Creators WANTED

The other big unknown here and Mr. Olsen (is it Paul?) didn't really elaborate on what tools we will be working from to achieve the new content. Previous new releases of Trainz have always suffered to some extent that the content has been made in the previous or even earlier version. So are we building routes in the final or latest version of TANE or will we get (under NDA if necessary) advance working copy of the enhanced route building which may be in TRS2018. Lots of questions which need to be clarified.
We try our very best to keep backwards compatibility between all builds so use whatever version you want to build your routes, sessions, locos, rolling stock ...etc. We currently package up DLC using the latest Trainz code (this means Trainz NEXT) but as a general rule if your content works in the current live version (TANE SP2) then you should be fine to send it our way.

A game like Trainz needs to just build one version of Trainz, and it should be free to play. Find another way to make money with it. For example make it a trading game and sell currency to play the game. Currency could be converted to buy content, N3V could rent portals that would connect players together. You could tax industries that use a new production track or some other way to sink the currency out. Resources could be traded with another player to make product to be traded to make cargo to be shipped to N3V as containers for a return of currency. But over all for a full time player an infusion of cash of $10 to $20 a month to run a railroad. (cost of one Starbucks cappuccino)
I'm sure other players could think of other ways to make it work and additional income stream for N3V like selling skins, or there own content for playing online.;)

N3V have suddenly remembered they need to encourage content creators? Must be a new version of Trainz on the way.

A game like Trainz needs to just build one version of Trainz, and it should be free to play. Find another way to make money with it. For example make it a trading game and sell currency to play the game. Currency could be converted to buy content, N3V could rent portals that would connect players together. You could tax industries that use a new production track or some other way to sink the currency out. Resources could be traded with another player to make product to be traded to make cargo to be shipped to N3V as containers for a return of currency. But over all for a full time player an infusion of cash of $10 to $20 a month to run a railroad. (cost of one Starbucks cappuccino)
I'm sure other players could think of other ways to make it work and additional income stream for N3V like selling skins, or there own content for playing online.;)

You mean like Open Source it....really.......

I find that comment highly offensive, bordering on a CoC violation for disparaging another user's relevant opinion.

If having a conversation involving facts of the matter, is considered "being salty"... Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but you have no right to belittle others because you disagree.

No offence intended and, having seen the subsequent response from Mr Olsen that this is more an exercise to "bank" future content for payware use rather than get the community involved in putting together a really good route pack in NEXT, I have some sympathy with your views. Contributing a route which will just sit on the shelf if/until needed was not how I read the OP, though not entirely ruling it out.

The copyright situation is also still something of a muddle. What are they saying, if something has made it on the DLS regardless of whether it is plastered in UP logos or textured with artwork from a "no commercial use" site, fine for a route builder to include in a project that may eventually be sold for profit? Who cops the lawsuit if UP or Mayang (if they still exist) turn round and issue a cease or desist or actually sue - N3V, the route builder or the original asset maker?

N3V have potential British content to the TANE standard that they have been sitting on for months. If N3V are unable to process the Potteries Loop Line within a reasonable time frame, why are they appealing for more content?

N3V have potential British content to the TANE standard that they have been sitting on for months. If N3V are unable to process the Potteries Loop Line within a reasonable time frame, why are they appealing for more content?

At least I know not to suddenly abandon the project(s) I'm currently working on and rush off to produce something for this campaign though as noted above, not ruling it out for the future. But as I indicated above, why build with TANE when we should be looking to produce routes to the higher standard of NEXT, with its hairy grass texture et al. o7 ;)

[Find another way to make money with it. For example make it a trading game and sell currency to play the game.

Pay to play or subscription... Re-arrange the following word - never. If N3V ever went down that business model that would end my involvement with the franchise, period.

No offence intended and, having seen the subsequent response from Mr Olsen that this is more an exercise to "bank" future content for payware use rather than get the community involved in putting together a really good route pack in NEXT, I have some sympathy with your views. Contributing a route which will just sit on the shelf if/until needed was not how I read the OP, though not entirely ruling it out. ...

There's nothing "wrong" about asking for content creators to become part of the TCCP and earn a little pocket money on the side. That may encourage younger, and not so young :)hehe:) members, to think about joining. I think that was part of the reason why the TrainzDev version was released to a much wider audience than the regular TrainzDev community. There is a lot of exciting stuff in there and I've seen lots of interest in the new CC chat forum.

There are several 3D modellers who are actively creating, or recreating, models for Trainz Next/TRS/18/19 because they want to and I expect much of that will be freeware. That content will have to "sit on the shelf" until it's release.

Pay to play or subscription... Re-arrange the following word - never. If N3V ever went down that business model that would end my involvement with the franchise, period.

You would not be alone there but the only time I saw the "s" word ("subscription") mentioned in these forums was when NEXT (as it was then called) was first announced.

There was the possibility of the Multiplayer Surveyor option being on a "pay-as-you-use-it basis" which would revert to single user Surveyor when you did not need need to use it. I suspect that this was a "fishing expedition" to gauge the reaction - like the old Army technique of running something up the flagpole to see if anyone saluted. While many objected to the idea of the whole of NEXT being on a subscription basis, there were some who said that they would not object to a subscription Multiplayer Surveyor. Others pointed out that subscription gaming, in some form or another, was now becoming common place on mobile platforms and was starting to appear on desktop platforms as well for the shrinking number of new games that are appearing for desktops.

I have not heard anything on the subject since.

The copyright situation is also still something of a muddle. What are they saying, if something has made it on the DLS regardless of whether it is plastered in UP logos or textured with artwork from a "no commercial use" site, fine for a route builder to include in a project that may eventually be sold for profit? Who cops the lawsuit if UP or Mayang (if they still exist) turn round and issue a cease or desist or actually sue - N3V, the route builder or the original asset maker?

Thats exactly my problem as well. It wouldn't be good for any of the associated parties.
Seems like in the past Trainz more or less got away with it, for example Trainz 2007 (German release of Trainz 2006) included countless items from the DLS with protected logos or simmilar seemingly without a license for commercial usage. There weren't any problems with it, but its still important to know what if? for the future.

Its the biggest reason I'm holding back not only with the creation of new stuff but also I still have some unreleased content mostly waiting for a clear answer on the topic.

Greets, Mika

Last edited:
I think I can make some content for Indian Railways, but since the OP says -

So I am out. :sleep:

Hopefully that was just a generic sentiment from the OP. After all Trainz is supposedly a global sim and has embraced content from around the world. There is huge scope for routes and motive power not just from India but Pakistan (Khyber Pass route!), Burma/Myanmar, Thailand, Korea etc. Or the largely untapped continent of South America!

Most ( Almost, all the sim either RW, TSW, TANE, they all are restricted to USA, UK, Germany) so it looks like we are living on other planet.
But once the sim comes out, I can start making content then.:)
In all these years, I have collected relevant information from my country railways including all drawings, reference photographs.
If any one need just PM me.

Last edited:

I would recommend that you go ahead and offer your Indian Railways content. Just because they are "especially interested" in British and Euro content... does not mean "exclusively interested". I would have thought that there was already enough British and Euro stuff and not enough from regions outside of USA, Europe (inc UK while it is still part of Europe) and Australia.

N3V have suddenly remembered they need to encourage content creators? Must be a new version of Trainz on the way.

We have the content sorted for the next version of Trainz so we are not after builtin content. Keen to see what others are working on so we can help them prepare it for sale through DLC or get it up on the DLS. We see many assets that are good but with a few little tweaks and tricks the content could really pop.

For any creators who haven't seen we and a lot of the community are on Discord (Live Chat) now ...the list of creators is building in the chat group and it's good to see some creative juices flowing:
http://www.trainzportal.com/blog/view/content-creator-live-chat

We are here to help advance your content, be it paid or free.

No offence intended and, having seen the subsequent response from Mr Olsen that this is more an exercise to "bank" future content for payware use rather than get the community involved in putting together a really good route pack in NEXT
Definitely not. Like I said above... if you're selling your content, great. If you're making it for the DLS, also great.

What are you working on and how can we help get it polished and out to the community?

Potteries Loop Line is looking really good and performance is running really well now. It takes time to get things right and the creators of this fantastic content have been great with communicating back and forth with us about tweaks to get it to the stage it is at. Big thumbs up to this content team as the (massive amount of) sessions alone for this fantastic route are amazing... well done.

Didn't mean to sounds like all other content gets a back seat. US and Euro content is popular amongst the community (well all content is really :)) but were interested to see if anyone has anything coming up in that area. Very keen to see all new content that creators are working on.

Back