Content Creators WANTED

To tidy up come of the concerns raised earlier in this thread, here is some non-legal advice (since we're not lawyers, and getting two lawyers to agree on anything is difficult at best):

Our lawyers have suggested that we don't provide legal advice to our customers. If you want to use any brand names or brand images in your components and you’re not sure whether or not you’re legally allowed to, you should ask the brand owner for permission. If you have permission from the correct person, and you only use the relevant brand within the permission you were given, it is unlikely that you will have any issues in relation to your use of that brand.

I'm still a little confused by this. Does this mean the creator who uploaded their content to the DLS is liable for having the permission to use the brand names/logos based on the DLS terms, or that the creator of a DLC referencing those DLS Items is liable for making sure all of them have said permission?

Also wouldn't it be an option to seperate the download of the DLC content you just bought with money visually from the download of the freeware content you get with it to make clear the content is in fact freeware and not part of the paid package?

Greets, Mika

Does this mean the creator who uploaded their content to the DLS is liable for having the permission to use the brand names/logos based on the DLS terms
Yes.
To my knowledge it clearly states so in the terms you agree on when uploading content (that box of text most people ignore).

or that the creator of a DLC referencing those DLS Items is liable for making sure all of them have said permission?
No. That person is just referencing them.

Yes.
To my knowledge it clearly states so in the terms you agree on when uploading content (that box of text most people ignore).

No. That person is just referencing them.

I'm still a little confused by this. Does this mean the creator who uploaded their content to the DLS is liable for having the permission to use the brand names/logos based on the DLS terms, or that the creator of a DLC referencing those DLS Items is liable for making sure all of them have said permission?

Also wouldn't it be an option to seperate the download of the DLC content you just bought with money visually from the download of the freeware content you get with it to make clear the content is in fact freeware and not part of the paid package?

Greets, Mika

at lest in america most businesses hate seeing you make money off there products or using it without there knowledge pretty is pretty much a no no. i think a few other countries are more relaxed though your good though if your not making any money off the objects though so you want permission to use trademark items, if it's freeware then your pretty much good and you will be fine.

also first time using these forums but i'm a forums user just not here

at lest in america most businesses hate seeing you make money off there products or using it without there knowledge pretty is pretty much a no no. i think a few other countries are more relaxed though your good though if your not making any money off the objects though so you want permission to use trademark items, if it's freeware then your pretty much good and you will be fine.

also first time using these forums but i'm a forums user just not here

Welcome to the forums!

Yes this is true, but companies are sometimes willing to work with people too if they ask permission to use the logo or name. In the end it's always best to ask first before using. If it's okay, then just abide by the rules set forth by organization. If the marketing department is kind, they will send out a manual on how to use or not use the logo along with colors, sizes, and placement.

I worked in the graphics industry, and we dealt with companies and their use of logos and mostly with how not to use them, or recreate them. That was back in the days when there were no scanners and artwork had to be photo-stated and recreated from films. Today with scanners and image-editing software, things are a lot different and a lot easier in this regard.

With new versions of Trainz on the way, we're keen to enlist more content creators in the Trainz Content Creation Program (TCCP), where you can earn extra money for your Trainz creations.

We are looking for model, small and large routes as well as locos and rolling stock. We are especially interested in more British and Euro content creators.

If you are interested in becoming part of TCCP or know of a great content development individual or team out there who would be, please let us know.

If it's British content you are after I have a class 158 in the works with a fully working cab which might be of interest.

The cab uses a 3 step brake which I have managed to fudge and a 7 notch throttle, but both feel like they are fighting against the current physics and controls and while it more or less works it is far from ideal. So have you any plans to update the physics so that this sort of set up would work better?

There are also several other trains I'd like to make to go with the route I was working on. However, unless you're involved in the industry or know someone who is it is very difficult to find good info or reference images. With that in mind can you offer any support regarding getting access to such material for building locos/trains, particularly for creating realistic sound and cabs with authentic controls?

As for routes. I was working on a Scottish route out of Glasgow Central which would have had a lot of new, high detail and optimised custom content. However progress on it has stalled as it's impossible to work with hidden spline points and there are just too many of them close together on this route to make it practical to continue at the minute.

I've also done some work on the Severn Valley Railway just to see how it would look. Would that be the type of route you'd be interested in?

One other thing. Are there any plans to allow us to make our own speed trees? Those currently available just aren't suitable for the look I'm trying to create.

Here's a WIP screenshot of the 158 cab.
X0X9JQF.jpg

And some screenshots from the routes.

A foggy morning in Glasgow. Getting the track work right on this is impossible because you can't see the spline points and adding catenary would be just a whole new level of pain.

8sJfOw0.jpg

A few from a small section of the Severn Valley. These shots are using a combination of incomplete assets, place holders and modified assets and speed trees that can never be released and that aren't quite right anyway. Hopefully though they give an idea what could be done with custom assets throughout if there would be any interest in such a route.

A couple of Bridgnorth station.
3x9DUpS.jpg

vP7iO3u.jpg

Some more from a little further down the line.
rwbkLHq.jpg

VtJNOGD.jpg

pxc2TG7.jpg

4t6DTxW.jpg

g68a4P7.jpg

oRzov5O.jpg

Would we have a chance to approve the final version of our content before it was offered for sale? My little contribution to the TANE version of ECML (The Widened Lines) was trashed when it came out. It had an error that meant that the trains wouldn't even run on one section of it (missing section of track), and all kinds of other changes that I absolutely hated. I wouldn't want this to happen again.

Also, would all custom content for a route need to be made to a minimum build (eg 3.5)?

Thanks,
Mick

Last edited:
Re SVR, looks very nice but might be best to leave as freeware or even change the names to a fictional setting. Of all the UK heritage railways, they are the most protective of their image and licence. Back in MSTS days, only Blue Arrow were allowed to develop a version of the route for sale and I believe that entailed some fairly strict creative controls. It is unlikely they would take kindly to a route clearly identifiable with their product being sold as payware for a sim and at the least you would need to speak to the railway to establish their position.

In fact, ISTR Blue Arrow and SVR even getting funny about anyone trying to do a freeware version of the route for MSTS.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here but the SVR - fine railway that it is - tends to be the Union Pacific of the UK rail scene when it comes to identity and branding in other products.

Back